Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Californian Police Car

Options
  • 01-11-2007 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see a Californian highway police car driving around Dublin. A proper big car with the Californian licence plates, sireons, 911 etc etc
    I saw it drive past Liffey Valley last weekend. Does anyone know what its doing here ? It was pretty cool.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

theres a few of them over here now., a place in swords sells them.,
    they want something like 20grand for them iirc., they go for next to nothing in america.,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

vtec wrote: »
    theres a few of them over here now., a place in swords sells them.,
    they want something like 20grand for them iirc., they go for next to nothing in america.,lol

I couldn't help but think of the Blues Brothers when I read that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I spotted this one on the M50 in hot pursuit of a pink Cadillac.

M50PoliceCar-1.jpg

....and another spotted somewhere in Dublin.

USPoliceCar-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Hehe well spotted, thanks for the pics.

Anyway I do not know what is the legislation here, but in many other countries, there is no way you can drive a car with "police" on it written in big.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

see starcarhire.co.uk

all these cars are available to rent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm guessing its not a big deal since the Gardai don't call themselves police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I drove a couple of those crown Vics in the states. Both were ex-police cars, reconverted to a regular saloon and sold onto the public. A couple of my friends had them. Total animal in a straight line, 4.6 V8 if I recall. Great big gas guzzler of a car, real novelty to drive for a while! Corners are another issue though:p. Not really suitable for irish roads, too heavy, wide and even though they have loads of power its from a ridiculously large engine. They are 10 a penny in the US, people buy the high mileage ones for under 1000 dollars usually. I would'nt spend 20K on one, cos you would spend another 20K putting petrol in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

....and another spotted somewhere in Dublin.

USPoliceCar-1.jpg

Wow somone likes Sun Of A Gun a bit too much!

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

How come they can drive them here with American reg plates ?
    The one that I saw here had an Authentic Californian licence plate ?
    If it was on sale here would it not have to be registered with Irish plates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dunno, but the one in the shot above has UK plates on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

cazzy wrote: »
    How come they can drive them here with American reg plates ?
    The one that I saw here had an Authentic Californian licence plate ?
    If it was on sale here would it not have to be registered with Irish plates ?

good point... also as most of them are greater than 4.5L could you imagine the irish road tax!!!

I also always wonder how the limo's are exempt from NCTs? surely as a PSV vehicle they must need an NCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Morrismurf

I remember in the early 80's when Hill Street Blues was on the box a guy in the Drumcondra area had a big american crusier with all the appororiate decor - complete with "To protect and serve" on the wings!

At the other end of the scale, I saw this in Salem, Mass this Autumn. The cop was very friendly saying he got loads of queries from tourists. Ran on a large rechargeable battery but he admitted he could be outrun by a healthy "perp".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Semi on topic ...

Does anyone know what the law is on having the blue lights / sirens fitted to your private car?

I doubt that they are allowed be functional, but can you have non working ones without getting into trouble?

There are holes in the roof of my yoke where a signal light used to be and I wouldn't mind getting those holes "plugged" properly. :D

Advertisement