Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice or Rats

Options
  • 01-11-2007 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I hear a lot of scratching coming from our ceiling over the past number of weeks. I've concinced myself it's mice however I'm not so sure. Recently I decided to extend the house and over the past few weeks a small part of the attic has become exposed where a rat could certainly fit in. Now he/she is most welcome to stay because if I knew it was a rat, I would pack my bags and move out.

Any way of knowing whether it is mice or rats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

yea set both mice and rat traps. You will be able to tell then when you catch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

barryfitz wrote: »
    yea set both mice and rat traps. You will be able to tell then when you catch them.

Cheers Barryfitz.

If i set a mouse trap and catch one, that means I have no rats, is that it yea? Honestly I hate rats so much even the thought of catching one in a trap and having to transport it to it's final resting place makes me shiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

hawker wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I hear a lot of scratching coming from our ceiling over the past number of weeks. I've concinced myself it's mice however I'm not so sure. Recently I decided to extend the house and over the past few weeks a small part of the attic has become exposed where a rat could certainly fit in. Now he/she is most welcome to stay because if I knew it was a rat, I would pack my bags and move out.

Any way of knowing whether it is mice or rats?

Mice can seem very loud, and seem big if you see one running across the floor, but catch one in a trap and you realise they are in fact tiny ! ( still hate the buggers though). I have had many a run in with them in the past.

Never rats, thank jebus. I do have a friend who had some in his attic though, and to use his own words "it sounded like they were dragging bags of coal around up there".

So, using my powers of deduction......... you have mice ( i hope). Either way, set some traps, and if the attic is still open to the elements, set some poisen also, no biggie having a mouse die inside but i hear there bigger cousins tend to stink a bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Almost certainly mice. It's the time of year (getting cold) for them to move indoors.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement