Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Service for VW Golf

Options
  • 01-11-2007 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

I bought a new VW Golf a few months ago and low and behold, after only 6 months, the time has come for the first service.

Basically does anyone have any ideas or experiences on how much the first service will cost.

It will be going to a registered VW Dealer so as to keep the service history intact!

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why not ring around a couple of local dealers, see who you can knock down to the best price? 6 months is very quick, by the way. Have you done big mileage during that time?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

VW Main Dealer servicing is horrendously expensive. Many experiences shared on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

They recommended that when I reached 16,000km to book the first service and that day came last Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Your Golf (assuming it's a 2007 model) should have long life service intervals and 16,000 kms/6 months is way to early for a service. I see this regularly where dealers 'shorten' the service interval in order to generate revenue. Obviously you won't damage the engine by over servicing it, but you will most certainly damage your wallet - especially if you intend to use main dealer servicing. Read the section of the owners manual that relates to servicing and determine whether or not your Golf has long life intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I'd agree with crosstownk - the long life service interval is 30,000km or there abouts* so 16,000 seems nuts.

For comparision, I had my 1.6 FSI Golf Plus in for it's first service a month or so back (it's an 06) at 30,000 - the base price (from a kildare VW stealer) was €300 (wiper blades where another 50, and it would have been 50 for a loan car for the day, but they quoted me 300 including it on the phone).

I also needed two tyres for which the garage quoted 90 each (plus VAT, fiting & balancing) - I declined their offer to fit these and got a local type place to do them for 100 each all in.

I suspect if I'd let them do the tyres and paid the extra 50 for the loan car, the total bill would have been about €700 :eek: - as it was it _only_ cost me €550 :(

Paddy

PS * If your car is anything like mine around the 29,000km mark, you should get a service due in 1000km display which counts down...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The long service intervals are for if it has the long life plugs and the best of the recommended oils in it. A lot of garages don't use either of these.

Biro wrote: »
    The long service intervals are for if it has the long life plugs and the best of the recommended oils in it. A lot of garages don't use either of these.

All genuine VW plugs are long life and are due for replacement after 90,000km. You are correct about the oil - if an oil that is not suitable for long life intervals is used then the service intervals are shortened to 15,000km and the service interval display should be set accordingly.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression the OP has a new car and therefore the oil will be VW 'first fill' from the factory.

It was a brand new car which I ordered in February and it arrived in April.

It required oil after about 8 weeks (as advised by the garage) and I had the type and brand of oil put into it which the VW dealer recommended.

It's diesel, would this make a difference?

Believe it or not, oil consumption as you describe is normal enough in a VW - especially a diesel. VW will not entertain an oil consumption until the consumption exceeds 1 litre per 1000kms :eek:

The oil consumption will settle down as the kms creep up and I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep an eye on your oil level on a regular basis.

Incidently, what oil did you top up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Just a bit of advice, wherever you book it in for a service make sure you tell them to use long life oil, it'll cost you a bit more but if you don't they are quite likely to use the standard stuff and you then have to service it every 15k rather than approx every 30k. Also if you live near a Skoda dealer get a price off them for a service, usually they are a bit cheaper and its not going to affect your service history or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

A brand new Golf comes from the factory set for long-life service automatically. I think the long life oil is Castrol Longlife SLXIII it 20 quid for a litre.

That sounds like the oil that I searched for!

No light has come on in the car yet indicating requiring a service, I was just going on the dealers advice.

No light has come on in the car yet indicating requiring a service, I was just going on the dealers advice.

My advice would be to wait for the light. The dealer is most likely issuing the recommendation with workshop turnover in mind.

Thanks for all the advice, could do with saving the few bob for Christmas and put the service on the 'to do' list for January!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Is it the 1.9 diesel golf? They'll stop using as much oil after a while alright. If it's the 2 litre TDi then they're renowned for using oil, and plenty of it.
    The proper recommended VW oil for the diesels, which is a Castrol oil, is something like 50 quid for the 4.5 litres. Very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

I've a TSI with the DSG gearbox just coming up on the 16k mark - should I wait till the service due light comes on also or go for service now? I'm wary with the TSI and DSG cause they're relatively complicated tech so I'm sure if something goes wrong it will cost a mint to put right and I doubt a back street garage can service them?

Thanks,

Tom

Thomas wrote: »
    I've a TSI with the DSG gearbox just coming up on the 16k mark - should I wait till the service due light comes on also or go for service now? I'm wary with the TSI and DSG cause they're relatively complicated tech so I'm sure if something goes wrong it will cost a mint to put right and I doubt a back street garage can service them?

Thanks,

Tom

If your engine is designed for long life servicing then wait for the light.

Advertisement