Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering

Options
  • 01-11-2007 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about volunteering in an animal shelter or some animal charity. Does anyone know anywhere that's looking for volunteers?

I don't have any related qualifications but I have a fair bit of experience with cats, dogs, horses etc.

I have usually one day off a week and three weekends a month, but my hours at work are different every week.

Can anyone suggest places to try?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

hi there
    my sister is trainnig to be vet and use to volunteer with blue cross once a week. They have mobile van (like library van) that go around different areas in dublin. If you phone them they let you know areas that they need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Thanks, I've sent them an email.

Anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

the dee wrote: »
    Thanks, I've sent them an email.

Anywhere else?

The Blue Cross is a great hands-on charity. Usually they look for drivers for their mobile clinic, or to help out holding animals etc at these clinics.

I'd also recommend the DSPCA (www.dspca.ie). They just had a volunteer orientation day the other week, but I believe they have these quite regularly. If you check out their website or contact Lori Davis she'll be able to tell you. They have a really great set-up there.

Depending what part of the city you're in, I think dogs aid is near Ashbourne (near the pound there), but I'm sure one of the guys here (Mairt maybe) will be along soon to fill you in on that one.

Good luck, and enjoy - it's a great feeling!

Simon

Yeah, I looked at the DSPCA website but they're a long way away and I don't have a car. Aparrently they're 1.5 - 2 miles away from any bus stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dryad

Check out www.dogsindistress.org. They work to rescue dogs from the pound. They are always looking for fosterers. If that's not possible then how about going to the pound at the weekend and taking the poundies out for a walk or simply just spending time with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Carrieq

Hi,

If you would be willing to travel to Drogheda there is a cat and dog animal rescue beside the bus station called the Drogheda Animal Rescue and they are always looking for volunteers to clean, feed, walk the animals. They also need fosterers for the animals that they dont have space for in the shelter. Have a look at their website www.dar.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well if your near Ashtown you can drop into the pound there.

The guys there are always looking for volunteer's, anything at all. You can just show up to give the poor dogs some company, maybe take them out for a walk, feed them etc.

The dogs up there love visitors, and I'm not joking about that either.

Most shelters operate like this.

It might also help if were knew what part of Dublin your living.

Finally, someone mentioned 'dogsindistress'. If you can foster a dog while its waiting for its 'forever home' (usually a short stay at your house and it saved them from the needle!) you won't have to travel to the pound. Volunteers from there will gladly deliver the dog to you, with bedding, food, lead & collar etc.

There's always www.petsireland@invisionzone.org' (.org .net I'm not sure). They have dogs and cats there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm a bit upset with the spca TBH, contacted them in kildare weks ago offering hlp and heard nothing back at all. Not ven a no thank you. Anyone know of any other organisations in the kildare area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Which part of Kildare are you in? I know the girls who take dogs from Dunboyne pound are always needing people to take photos of the dogs in the pound and also with short runs from the pound or vets in Dunboyne to Celbridge before 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm in kilcullen, and unfortunately work in Dublin all week so i'm never home before 7 but am available every evening and all weekend to do anything really.

• Advertisement

Hi, Thanks for the replies. I went into the Blue Cross office, turns out they're around the corner from where I work. Volunteering at one of their clinics now. They seem like a lovely bunch of people.

Advertisement