Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Patchy and bumpy lawn

Options
  • 01-11-2007 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

I reseeded my lawn about 3 weeks ago and it is starting to grow well in some places and not well in others. After reseeding I gave the lawn a light roll more to get the seed in contact with the lawn rather than to level it.

As the soil was only after being spread it was quite soft resulting in quite deep footprints left in some places which I planned on levelling in the spring when I was going o give the lawn a roll with a heavy roller and spraed more seed in patchy areas.

My question is should I spread more seed now in the patchy areas or wait till spring and should I roll the lawn now rather than wait to get the humps out of it in spring also.

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

In my experience, rolling is not the best way to level a lawn as the roller can roll over high spots and leave depressions which will inevitably sink, far better to tread it down. You'll probably find that the roller has picked up a lot of the seed as well. No easy way out at this stage. Get some topsoil, tread over the whole area to remove the hollows, add topsoil and tread again until you have levelled it. Probably a bit late to sow seed now but if you have some then try it, weeds are no respecters of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You're supposed to roll ground before applying seed. In difficult circumstances lawn sand can be mixed with soil to form a workable loam, the sand giving a very firm and level surface.

Rolling in springtime before ground starts to dry out can also be done but is much more dificult to get desired levels.

Best done at start and for those who are a poor judge of levels, use a large board (4" x 2") with spirit level. A bit of patience and careful planning, it is realtively an easy task to undertake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

I agree with sonnenblumen.

It's either that or rotovate it all again and rake it. And when you spread the seed, go over it lightly with the rake again (This will also fill your footprints). I find this helps the seed to germinate a little quicker. Keep the lawn well watered, and try not to walk on it until the grass has reached about 3 or 4 inches in length, then give it a high cut.

But which ever option you choose, it's best to do it coming into spring.

Advertisement