Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband problems - bit of advice needed!

Options
  • 01-11-2007 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Have a bit of a problem thats started approx 3 weeks ago and not sure how to solve it....so would really appreciate a bit of independant help as everyones telling me its something else thats to blame!!

I have a Dell PC on Vista thats set up for broadband (with UTV) with a voyager 205 router with an ethernet cable (No drivers available for USB connection for Vista yet :o )

Connection was always fine but 3 weeks ago it is intermittently dropping and coming back with a Network Diagnostics response that could not ping primary DNS server 192.168.1.1 - then suggested resetting Network Adaptor and Local Area Connection. Normally this would then resolve the problem - but this is happening approx every 10/15 mins say over a couple of hours. so getting a bit annoying at this stage.

UTV have checked via Eircom the phone line coming into the house - and its fine and think the problem is either with the Network adaptor in the PC (which is approx 11 months old) or with the router itself so have kinda left it to me to solve.

Dont know how to locate the network adaptor in the PC (not very technically minded I'm afraid) or how likely this would be to be the main issue and dont want the expense and hassle of buying a wireless modem if not needed.

So not sure what else I can do to try and identify what exactly the problem is..... anyone any advice as to what I can try.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1. change the network cable
    2. if this does not fix the drops then either

a) its the network card so buy one in pc world or maplin for €20 and fit it in the pc ( hint , it slots in easily once the lid is off)

or

b) More likely its the voyager , get another one or get a cheap eircom netopia in its place for €25 in pc world, currys, harvey cheesy ozzies

3. Its normally not the internal network that goes down . It may indeed be external and BT DNS is itself notorious for being crap , change the primary dns on the voyager to opendns BEFORE you look at steps 1 and 2 .

thats

4. Aliens have invaded !

5. Sorry about all that :p . Apologies to BT if its not them ...but it usually is witha voyager :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

cheers Spongebob...

Thats given me a plan to work on....;)

will try the network cable first ... the voyager router is approx 2 years old (Its UTV that the broadband is with - but I believe from reading through this forum earlier their DNS is a bit on the crap side too) so was harbouring thoughts of changing to Eircom to get their free wireless modem but if its something simple or possibly the network card - I'm not too keen on changing back to Eircom if can be avoided!

Thanks for the help - hopefully can narrow it down a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

try cable and opendns both , then see.

Advertisement