Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting to 'professionals'

Options
  • 01-11-2007 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm looking for aplace to live in Galway and keep reading about 'professionals only'. Can someone define professionals for me?

When I move I could be working in admin or as a secretary, but I have a postgraduate degree in Literature. Not sure what people are looking for.

Thanks
    Kate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

professionals only = not students (no crazy party people) ... once you're working .. its then up to them to decide whether or not your fit the bill or not ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yah it just means "not a student"

In fact generally it can be narrowed to not an undergrad, I always put the "professionals only" ad up, and I've let postgrads move in

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've some students on my street and they live it up enough for the whole block with the nightly shouting/ music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Professional = not student/not peasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Somebody earning a wage; it's not just no students, it's no social welfare either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭jack_pearse

Hi
    My girl friemd and I have a 2 bed apartment in Oranmore for rent for 800Euro a month if you are interested give us a buzz :) 0877401343 you would count as a professional in most cases i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Christ is rent in Galway really that expensive?? Especially in Oranmore too? Nowhere near the city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

In the city you'll pay from 700 up to about 1200 for a 2 bed appartment / 3 bed house/townhouse .... Oranmore I've no idea of the prices there .. so yeah rent is quite painful ...

to the OP ... see if its PCM as well that you'll be paying ... as this kinda works out at 48 weeks for the price of 52 ... and remember that you'll be able to claim rent relief in your tax

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Hi, this is the first google result for "rent to professionals".

And this is something from google images:
    header.png.

Can you guess who's style I'm posting in? Answers on the back of a PM to the usual address. Post may be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Apply, and forge a letter from some random employer, clip art a letter head together and sign it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The problem with letting to students is that they are only in Galway for a few months so thus, the apartment is only occupied for a maximum of 9 months.

A professional working in say, McDonald's, might be on a career ladder to success and will stay in the apartment until 2013 until he/she gets all five gold stars for his/her name badge.

Another reason for only letting to 'professionals' is so that the landlord can avoid the whole issue of rent receipts and declaring the property to the Revenue folk. Also, people who are on rent supplement might be perceived as being at home all of the time and thereby wearing out the lovely Argos flatpacked furniture. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Try not going to Accomodation Agencies,they really rip ya off in Galway,esp Winters pure cowboys,prob your best Idea to get a room in a house sharing,get to know some people,how is the move going?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭k-a-t-e

*mono* wrote: »
    Try not going to Accomodation Agencies,they really rip ya off in Galway,esp Winters pure cowboys,prob your best Idea to get a room in a house sharing,get to know some people,how is the move going?.

Its going OK I think though to be honest I dont think I can do anything else until I get there. Been applying for jobs and lookin on daft for places to rent. Im booked into a hostel for the frist six days after that not sure.

I was definitely looking for people to share with as it will be nice to have people to talk to and go out with etc.

Thanks for all that info. I've decided I'm looking for a double room;), in City centre, Knocknacarra or Salthill, pref with an en suite. Cant wait to get looking at places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

k-a-t-e wrote: »
    Its going OK I think though to be honest I dont think I can do anything else until I get there. Been applying for jobs and lookin on daft for places to rent. Im booked into a hostel for the frist six days after that not sure.

I was definitely looking for people to share with as it will be nice to have people to talk to and go out with etc.

Thanks for all that info. I've decided I'm looking for a double room;), in City centre, Knocknacarra or Salthill, pref with an en suite. Cant wait to get looking at places.

I'll be looking in the same places for the same thing pretty soon, gotta move out of my apartment. Was room-hunting at around the same time last year, its not the easiest unfortunately. Just be proactive, see as many places as you can every evening (especially Wednesday evenings), be nice and presentable as there is usually competition for rooms, and if you see one you want snap it up quickly!

...unless I want it more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

k-a-t-e wrote: »
    keep reading about 'professionals only'. Can someone define professionals for me?

Hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think it's really economically viable to rent on your own in Galway. It might be worth putting some thing up on the collage notice boards (if they let you do that) asking for a room. Other than that it's keeping an eye on the Galway advertiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Some of us have to rent a house/apartment, I've got too much stuff to just rent a room, and I'm guessing I'd be horrid to live with. oh and I work from home too

Advertisement