Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in Glasgow?

Options
  • 01-11-2007 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭

While looking at jobs on-line to determine how much to ask for in my next salary review I came across a position that would be perfect for me in Glasgow. Unless I'd a serious personality clash with the interviewer, I'd be amazed if I didn't get the job. The salary would be nearly forty grand a year higher than my current salary before tax when you take currency exchange into account!

What I'm wondering is what Glasgow's like to work and live in? Has anyone any experience of it? Is UK income tax higher than here in Ireland? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

UK income tax is 'lower' than in Ireland because the tax bands are wider meaning you can earn more before entering a higher tax bracket.

However, the UK has lots of hidden taxes such as the council tax that varies from region to region and house to house. I currently pay £135 a month council tax so that's £135/month out of my wages after tax is taken.

Cars are cheaper but Petrol and Diesel are far more expensive so that may even out for you.

Have a look here for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Hmmm....what can I say about life in Glasgow?

I have lived here 12 years and there are elements of it I absolutely love. Loads of free museums, lots of theatres, gigs, clubs, not mention the cheap dining out and free healthcare. The transport is great, I can afford to own my own home and have a life too.

However, there is a side to the city that people need to be aware of. It quite a violent city, with lots of poor areas. Some of the lowest life expectancies in the UK are in Glasgow. There is a lot of alcoholism, aggression, obesity and there are huge issues with reading and writing in many areas.

Saying that, most of these are in the immediate city centre areas and the central business areas and the nice suburbs or studenty areas are lovely. Some areas are terribly posh.

Depending on what you're into, it can be easy to get to know people here if you get involved in things like a hillwalking club, GAA club, book group etc. There are lots of meeting up clubs here for people who have just moved to the city.

I do have to say that the majority of my friends here are foreign and I think this is because although a friendly lot, the Scots keep to the groups they formed in school or university. Of course, if you end up in an office with lots of non-natives and a sociable group, you’ll be laughing. There’s great craic to be had once you have a couple of mates to head out with.

The weather is awful. If you think Ireland has dark winters and rain, it’s pretty harsh here.

Basically, a place to go to and enjoy lots of new experiences, great nights out etc. But many Irish return home when they think about having kids because of the lifestyle here.
    Fun for a few years, I wouldn’t raise my kids here unless I was very sure I could over come the cultural issues.

Hope that’s of some use!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Cheers guys, Kittex you've basically confirmed what I was most concerned about. Another opportunity to go live in Sydney may be at hand which, although not as large a payraise, I believe would give me a much better quality of life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

It is great fun here, but it can wear you down what with the weather and the poverty etc. One thing I did not mention as a downside is the bigotry, something you may already be aware of.

I've gotten alot out of life here as there are great opportunities and I was a bit of a mousey person, now well able to stand up for herself courtesy of the constant argumentative environment!

I am looking into Australia too as my next move. What industry is it you work in if you don't mind me asking? I'm in education, so the plan is to try and get placed in Oz for a year or so, then head home to Ireland.

Advertisement