Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diwali

Options
  • 01-11-2007 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I wanted to post this in religion and spirituality but they didn’t have a general religion or a Hindu forum. I was going to put it in the Islam forum for the laugh but thought that might not go down well! Mods, feel free to move it if you think of anywhere to put it.

My other half is a Hindu and Diwali is on the 9th November. I’d like to do something to celebrate because he’s feeling a bit homesick. Is here anywhere in Dublin that has Diwali celebrations? Apparently lots of countries have celebrations in squares or city centres with fireworks and nice Indian sweeties. I’ve looked online and found out that there was one in Monkstown before. If anyone had heard of one around this year, I’d love to hear about it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had to wiki that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali
    You can try the embassy for info? Or ask in a few restaurants if there's any crack this year?

Btw, there is a "Where in Dublin forum", namely the Dublin forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

There is a restaurant called Diwali somewhere in Dublin. I think its on Georges st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Good suggestion Biko, but I've had a look and unfortunately there's nothing on the embassy website. I did hear about the Diwali restaurant, maybe we'll give that a go and have a big yummy curry!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

baztard wrote: »
    There is a restaurant called Diwali somewhere in Dublin. I think its on Georges st.

I think that's closed at the moment for renovations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

baztard wrote: »

There used to be a place there called the "Nagina Tandoori". HIGH-larious photo opportunities arose if you stood at the correct angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

watna wrote: »
    I've had a look and unfortunately there's nothing on the embassy website
    Try ringing them instead. They might not arrange something, hence it's not on the web. But maybe they know someone else who arranges this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Pigman II wrote: »
    There used to be a place there called the "Nagina Tandoori". HIGH-larious photo opportunities arose if you stood at the correct angle.

Yep... the Nagina became DiWali.

It's open... the Indian across the road is closed though.

I've been eating there regularly for years as I'm a big fan of the place and I'm going there on Saturday night. I really can't say if they'll be doing anything for the festival though... I'll be sure to ask on Saturday and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks Monkeyfudge... that would be much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ok, I wanted to post this in religion and spirituality but they didn’t have a general religion or a Hindu forum.

Hi Watna this is the general catch all forum, so welcome.
    My other half is a Hindu and Diwali is on the 9th November. I’d like to do something to celebrate because he’s feeling a bit homesick. Is here anywhere in Dublin that has Diwali celebrations? Apparently lots of countries have celebrations in squares or city centres with fireworks and nice Indian sweeties. I’ve looked online and found out that there was one in Monkstown before. If anyone had heard of one around this year, I’d love to hear about it!

I believe this is may be what you are looking for.

http://indiansinireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27751
    BIGGEST BOLLYWOOD FESTIVAL DIWALI AND EID MELA ON 10TH NOVEMBER

LIVE Bangada PERFORMANCE

10TH NOVEMBER

LOTS OF DRINK PROMO ALL NIGHT
    LOTS OF GIVE AWAYS

NIGHT ATTRACTIONS
    LIVE BHANGARA BY BHANGRA BOYS
    BOLLYWOOD DANCE PERFORMANCE
    BOLLYWOOD DISCO NIGHT
    &
    BELLY DANCERS

BOLLYWOOD DISCO NIGHT STARTS AT 9.30PM TILL 2.30AM

TICKET PRICE 12 EUROS, TICKETS AVAILABLE AT TOPSTORE(BLOCK B), UNIT 1 MOORESTREET MALL (BESIDE LIDL), CITYCENTER DUBLIN-, PHONE : 0876605363 .

VENUE :
    TIVOLI THEATER
    FRANNCES STREET (D-8)
    NEAR THOMAS STREET
    (CHRISTCHURCH)
    DUBLIN

SPECIAL GUEST
    DJ GLADY(ASIAN FUSION IRELAND)

So what is
    Diwali, the five-day Indian Festival of Lights begins soon. This special celebration of togetherness marks the start of the Hindu New Year and is one of the largest festivals of its kind in India and amongst Indian people all over the world. The word Diwali means ‘Group of Light’ and it takes place in autumn each year for five days. Lights play a very important part in all Diwali celebrations and, just like our Hallowe’en, fireworks are often used, symbolising the victory of divine forces over evil. During Diwali, people visit friends and relations, exchange presents and cards and enjoy festive meals. In Northern India, whole lentils and saffron rice are popular, and dishes are enriched with ghee (clarified butter), cream, yoghurt and groundnuts. Southern Indian dishes may be served with fresh vegetables and dhals made from dried peas, beans and lentils.
    Diwali is also said to be the time to throw away old unwanted goods.
    The 1st day is known as 'Dhanteras'. People renovate and decorate their houses and workplaces on this day and make traditional 'Rangoli' motifs on the entrance to welcome Goddess Lakshmi. Lamps and candles are lit throughout the night. It is considered auspicious to buy gold and silver on this day. Many people opt for buying new utensils on this day. In Maharashtra, offerings of lightly pounded dry coriander seeds with jaggery are made to the Goddess. Rural people revere their cattle on this day and cows are considered especially auspicious.

On 2nd day, people take bath before sunrise anointing themselves with oil and 'Ubtan' (scrub made up of gram flour and fragrant powders). Bengalis believe that Goddess Kali killed the demon Raktavija on this day.

The 3rd day is the main day of the Diwali festival. Jains have their own religious significance of the day, as they believe, that it is on this day Lord Mahavir attained 'Nirvana' (or Eternal Bliss). Swami Dayananda Saraswati, the great saint who gave rise to Hindu Renaissance, also left the mortal world on this day. On this day, people wear new clothes and share gifts and sweets with their friends and relatives. Women prepare delicacies and whole house is illuminated with 'diyas' and candles. Fireworks and crackers are the kids' favorites on this day.

On the 4th day is the 'Govardhan-Puja' or 'Annakoot'. In the temples of Mathura and Nathadwara, the deities are bathed with milk and adorned with precious clothes and ornaments. Then offerings of a large variety of delicacies are made to them.

The 5th day or the last day of this festival is called ' Bhai Duj '. On this day, sisters invite their brothers and their family to their homes and treat them with delicacies. In turn, brothers offer them with gifts and sweets.

http://festivals.iloveindia.com/diwali/index.html
    India is the land of festivals but Diwali is one of the few grandest indian festival celebrated all over India with equal enthusiasm and zeal. Diwali Festival is the abbreviation of the Sanskrit word 'Deepavali', which means 'rows of lights'. One of the major Hindu festivals, it is celebrated to commemorate the returning of Rama and Sita to their kingdom Ayodhya after fourteen years of exile. Though, Diwali is mainly a five- day festival but we can see people preparing Diwali weeks ahead by cleaning and decorating their households. The main festival day falls on the no-moon day of the dark half of Kartik, according to the Hindu lunar calendar.

Celebrated with vigour and gaiety by people of every religion Deepavali, its magical and radiant touch creates an atmosphere of joy and festivity. Innumerable lamps are lit on the roofs and windowsills of the houses, thus, giving an ethereal and almost divine look to the whole scenario. It is said that Lakshmi, Goddess of wealth roams the earth on this day and enters the house that is pure, clean and brightly illuminated. Young and old, men and women, all dress up in new clothes and buy new utensils on this day. They worship the deities, Lakshmi and Ganesha, and share sweets and gifts with their relatives and friends. It is also the beginning of the new financial year for the business community. However, it is the crackers and the fireworks that attract the kids the most and form the highlight of the festival.

Deepawali symbolises the victory of righteousness and the lifting of spiritual darkness. It is the celebartion of victory of good over evil - and the glory of light.

DIWALI 2007 : Divali falls on a new moon day in the month of October or November. Since the precise moment of the new moon falls on different dates depending on geographical location, the date of Diwali also depends on one's location. In 2007 Diwali will be celebrated on 9th November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 aahnasharma

The Indian biggest festival is coming soon. Wish you happy Diwali 2014 in advance to all.

Advertisement