Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Students - How are you going?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jesus, typical DSFA.

Embee, I know someone who does that job in one of the other regions, if I can get my hands on him I will ask him for the name of his opposite number in Louth. (I have heard him admit though that some regions are much more pro-active than others, and that it can come down to whether the local person resp. is interested or not.)

I had kinda presumed you were already on BTEA, tbh ... I know it isn't much extra but if you had had it since Sept. it might have eased things a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Jesus, typical DSFA.

Embee, I know someone who does that job in one of the other regions, if I can get my hands on him I will ask him for the name of his opposite number in Louth. (I have heard him admit though that some regions are much more pro-active than others, and that it can come down to whether the local person resp. is interested or not.)

I had kinda presumed you were already on BTEA, tbh ... I know it isn't much extra but if you had had it since Sept. it might have eased things a bit.

Hi randy,

Thanks for replying. I amn't on the BTEA yet because I'd have to be claiming One Parent Family Payment for 12 months or more for a third level course, and I won't be 12 months on that til June. They sent me out the info but its not applicable to me.

We'll see. I'm not going to make a decision until I've got first year out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

At the risk of sounding a bit biased - The Open University FTW! - http://www.open.ac.uk

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

Any of you guys in DCU as Mature students?

I applied to CAO and to the college direct foro Computer applicatiuons this september coming.

I was wondering when you hear from them and what the process is for getting in...interview contact form college etc?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Went back to college in LIT at age 28 and i will admit it was daunting for the first few weeks...even considered quitting!!!....but was talking to other mature students of similar age and they had the same feelings at the start...its just hard to adjust but once you do the year flies....now i feel its the best thing i ever did and even feel i should've done it earlier...got a bit of slagging at the start from 1 or 2 other students with the whole 10-year age gap thing...being called grandpa and all that messing....but now 2 years later those same students are good friends of mine and i feel they even look up to me now as a role model, and i have no problem helping them with their work....overall as a mature student going back, i would say be prepared for some doubts in your mind in the opening weeks, but ride it out, and once you do you will treasure the rewards at the end.....or at least i hope i will as i have another 2 yrs before my degree!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

embee wrote: »
    Hi randy,

Thanks for replying. I amn't on the BTEA yet because I'd have to be claiming One Parent Family Payment for 12 months or more for a third level course, and I won't be 12 months on that til June. They sent me out the info but its not applicable to me.

We'll see. I'm not going to make a decision until I've got first year out of the way.

embee,

I would advise having a good think about it in the summer...i really feel for you in your situation, its such a shame....I'm getting a grant AND the BTEA and I really feel guilty now!!!!...I made sure these funds would be available to me before going back to college, otherwise I could see real difficulties with running a car, bills etc

When i was doing a PLC course in Limerick about 3/4 years ago, i ran into serious money problems and i availed of what was called the SPIDAS grant....i think it stands for Special Initiative for Disadvantaged Adults or something like that....it was about 80 quid a week at the time and it really dragged me out of a hole....I'm not sure if the scheme is still in operation or if there is an equivalent body in your area....it operated from the County Limerick V.E.C. when I was awarded the grant....maybe you could ask your local VEC about it?
    hope this is some help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ronn90

I went back to DKIT at 35. Loved it. First week there I said to my wife "I think I've made a big mistake. After that is was cool. Best of all is the people you meet. I met up with some great people from college and we still keep in touch 4 yrs on. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

anyone here doing midwifery in UCD?? i got a place this year as a Mat. student, but deferred for a year, so will be starting in sept 2009! so nervous as i have two children and am wondering how we will manage childcare!

anyone else studying in UCD, with children also
    what are the hours? I know they are full time and hectic, but does anyone know the timetable for the first year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

WindSock wrote: »
    I just filled out the CAO today, first time I've done that since the olden days of paper 8 years ago. I hope to get a course next year, by then I'll be 27, and depending on which one I get will take 4/5 years :eek:
    It's a bit daunting as I am a commitmentphobe, but I really want/need to do it.

Hi last years me. I am now in a part time course. It will be 4 years but at least I get to work too. I am enjoying it a lot so far. I think I have A.D.D though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm not as mature as some students on her, but there was a five year gap between leaving the undergrad and going back to the masters...I really despised college during the undergrad, so did the bare minimum and got by due to compensation, so coming back for the masters was a big step, as I had never really taken anything from the undergrad...we could write our essays instead of typing them!

i gave up work and everything, and have to say I love college now, It's really intense (NUIG) but everyone in the class is 25 and over (considerably:). it's not easy giving up that weekly wage packet and the odd splash out on clothes has had to go but so far it's been very worthwhile. I'm officially a nerdy mature student who approaches lecturers, one of those students I tsk tsked at during the undergrad:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Hey all
    Almost everyone on this thread (except embee) have good things to say about going back to college but has anyone dropped out? or does anyone know of someone who dropped out or hated going back? Thinking of pulling the finger out and applying this year (at long last) but it's just such a huge step I'm trying to look at it from all angles! :P :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Really having a great time and loving it, I made the right decision to go back. Ballybrickenman how is it going for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

fifomania wrote: »
    Hey all
    Almost everyone on this thread (except embee) have good things to say about going back to college but has anyone dropped out? or does anyone know of someone who dropped out or hated going back? Thinking of pulling the finger out and applying this year (at long last) but it's just such a huge step I'm trying to look at it from all angles! :P :cool:
    I know a guy who dropped out after a year. His wife was pregnant with their second child and cash became a priority so he went back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I went back this September and dropped out last week (or "withdrew from the course" as I like to put it!)

I was doing Arts in UCC. There were a number of factors involved in my decision to leave, but the main reason was that I didn't like the subjects I chose (History in particular). I was also living quite far away from UCC, and I had missed a couple of weeks due to having an operation. But I could have overcome these obstacles if I'd been sufficiently interested in the course.

I had changed my mind about doing the arts degree since applying, but since I originally had that down first on my CAO form that's what I was offered. I successfully applied for other courses in UCC, but UCC don't accept changes in the order of courses applied for after February 1st.

To be honest I didn't think I'd be offered a place in arts as I thought I performed terribly in my written assessment, and my heart sank when I received the offer. I thought I'd give it a go anyway, but unfortunately arts just wasn't for me.

I am hoping to maybe go back to college next year, either full-time or part-time. It depends on if I am able to get a job between now and then (which isn't a definite thing in these uncertain economic times!). I'll just have to make sure I pick the right course this time!

If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

I was stuck in the worst job in the world for about three - four years.
    Finally got the courage to leave the financial security. I then went on to do a two year diploma in adventure sports and had the time of my life. I'm taking a year out and miss going to college so much. Heading back to do a degree next September and can't wait for it..

To Gadgie: What was it about doing arts in particular you didn't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

I am hoping to get a place in DIT as a mature student in 2008. I will be 31 by then. I have pretty much made up my mind to do it. I was just wondering how any mature students who started this year have found the whole experience after the first couple of months. I imagine that from the time I leave work until the point I am sure I have done the right thing, will be a bit nervy.

I would be very interested in reading anybody’s thoughts on their experience so far.
    Cheers BBM.

Hi Ballybrickenman - I will be starting Midwifery as a Mature Student in UCD in sept and to be totally honest I am sh***ing it, excuse my language! I have worked solidly since I left school 13 years ago! And gave up a very secure government job a few months ago in order to follow my dream of becoming a Midwife! I wanted to spend a few months at home full time with my 2 children before beginning 4 hectic years of study.. I am so so nervous I really am, I am worried about finances, childcare etc.. but I want this more than anything else and am determined to make it work no matter what!

Apart from the nerves, I am DYING to start... going to go to a Mature Student morning in UCD next week, and really looking forward to talking to some students who have been through it!

are u applying this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    Hi Ballybrickenman - I will be starting Midwifery as a Mature Student in UCD in sept and to be totally honest I am sh***ing it, excuse my language! I have worked solidly since I left school 13 years ago! And gave up a very secure government job a few months ago in order to follow my dream of becoming a Midwife! I wanted to spend a few months at home full time with my 2 children before beginning 4 hectic years of study.. I am so so nervous I really am, I am worried about finances, childcare etc.. but I want this more than anything else and am determined to make it work no matter what!

Apart from the nerves, I am DYING to start... going to go to a Mature Student morning in UCD next week, and really looking forward to talking to some students who have been through it!

are u applying this year?

Hi Mumtoe&e

I have taken a slightly different path than what I planned when I started this thread. I am doing a foundation studies course in WIT at the moment. It is a course designed to get people who want to return to education but do not feel ready or able, confident enough to do it. I am finding it very good and when I start my degree for real this September I can hit the ground running.

I know what you mean about being nervous, my thing was would I end up doing something I do not like again. I only ever worked; I never worked in an area I am interested in. But there is really nothing to be worried about. The college year is very short, when you start is September it is Christmas before you know where you are.

I like you worked full-time since I left school so it has been a big change but in a good way. I would not change a thing and I look forward to every part of the course. The main thing is I am interested in it; I am not just putting time down any more.

Good luck to you, besides this is a perfect time to be in college :D;)

Advertisement