Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights off but fuse hasn't been tripped

Options
  • 01-11-2007 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

This morning all the lights in the upstairs of my house just went out.
    I checked the fuseboard and nothing has tripped.

I noticed 5 mins later that a light sort of sparked on for a second (because i'd not turned the switch on the wall to off).

Is this dangerous? It seems very dodgy that nothing tripped! The rest of the house is ok.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Lights usually have a connection looping from one to the next. If that goes down, they all go down. I'd strongly recommend getting an electrician in.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Not to freak you out or anything but its possible that a mouse or rat has bitten through the wire in the loop in the attic. All upstairs lights would be on one circut, it would usually trip on the switchboard when there is a power surge but not always.

It would be safest to trip the swith for that circut on the switchboard yourself until you have it checked out by a Spark!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yeah we had an electrician over yesterday, he says there's a break somewhere, probably caused by mice. He's coming back on Monday with a colleague to help him find the break. He did say to be prepared that another circuit might be attacked by the possible mice :-(

I've not heard or seen any sign of mice, though!

Advertisement