Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy fruit and veg

Options
  • 01-11-2007 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

where is best to buy fruit and veg in city centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm guessing the best value is going to be Moore Street but there is a lovely little shop on Aungier street that has fruit and veg that are of a much higher quality though are naturally more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

evergreen on wexford street is very good (but more expensive than moore street)

probably the one eo980 is thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

evergreen on wexford street is very good (but more expensive than moore street)

probably the one eo980 is thinking of.

That's the one I was thinking of! ;)
    While Moore Street is cheap I've never been a fan of the quality of the fruit and veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

great stuff, really appreciate it. im posting a lof of best ofs cos im new to the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Where are you from?

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Where are you from?

surely self evident with a name like that?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

Moore Street market (off Henry Street) is great value and offers a bit of local colour ;-), but the produce is nearer its 'best before' date than in the stores.
    Fallon&Byrne - Dublin's first hipster supermarket - on Exchequer Street has one of the best selections in town, much of which is good value too. You can even have a yummy smoothie there if you can't wait until you get home to get stuck into the fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Boardsielk

I've been to B & F as I hasd heard great things about them
    but wasn't that impressed with what they had to offer on the F&V side of things
    highly overpriced and not as fresh as it could be
    just an opinion
    at least in Moore St you get what you are paying for

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there is always the organic market in temple bar

irishbird wrote: »
    there is always the organic market in temple bar

biggest rip off in dublin. and hardly organic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

des f im from wicklow but am not too familiar with the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

small grocers beside independent pizza on dorset street takes some beating imo...

i dont know for definite but i really think they grow everything themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Evergreen is overpriced beyond belief. Terrible value

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eo980 wrote: »
    the best value is going to be Moore Street
    (but more expensive than moore street
    eo980 wrote: »
    While Moore Street is cheap I've never been a fan of the quality of the fruit and veg.
    howaya wrote: »
    Moore Street market (off Henry Street) is great value
    Boardsielk wrote: »
    at least in Moore St you get what you are paying for

The produce on sale in Moore Street is the 'seconds' from the nearby Fruit & Vegetable market, hence it's price.

There is no VAT on F & V so anyone can buy direct from the markets but it usually involves buying in bulk, e.g. box of apples, basket of mushrooms, bag of turnips etc.

Don't be fooled by those expensive shops - it's the same produce thats goes to any other 'ordinary' greengrocers.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Jesus lads has no one mentioned " TOPS IN POPS" on Gardiner St (opp Hill 16 pub) yet ? Selling the best fruit and veg to Dubliners for almost a century. It's run by the same family since it opened all those years ago.
    Terry who runs it now is the fouth generation of the Hannah family to operate this old style f&v shop. He goes to the market everyday and only buys the best of stuff ,but none of that high-falutin organic muck :)
    Drop in next time your passing and keep him in mind for your Christmas tree as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There is a really really good place in Grand Canal st. Just opposit the Civil marraige place. Traditional green grocers with a delivery business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Alsatian_Cousin

Tops in pops on the northside
    the runner bean (nassau st) on the southside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

lightening wrote: »
    There is a really really good place in Grand Canal st. Just opposit the Civil marraige place. Traditional green grocers with a delivery business.
    Just across from my house too. It's called Woods (or "Woodzes"). You often see it open when coming home from a night out. :D

Advertisement