Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test in 10 days time

Options
  • 01-11-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my driving test is on in 10 days time so I am currently preparing for it. I bought a DVD called “ISM guide to passing your Driving Test”. I find it very good, it has individual chapters on each section of the driving test, a chapter on FAQ’s and finished off with Carl Walsh re-sitting his driving test again from start to finish.
    I’ve also had one lesson so far and plan to take another 3 before the test. However, some of the stuff I’ve learned from the DVD is conflicting that learned from my driving instructor so far.
    Say for example, when turning into a road on your left, the DVD says –Check your rear view mirror, signal left, check your left hand wing mirror and move in closer to the left of the road, glance into the road to check for hazards and make the turn while glancing in your left mirror to ensure there are no cyclists present. On the other hand my instructor says that I should check both my rear view mirror & left hand wing mirror before signalling left and didn’t stress any importance in checking my left mirror while moving in to the left. Which method is correct or are both methods acceptable?
    My instructor seemed to be very bitter towards the ISM in general, he said to take no notice of the DVD!
    One final question, my instructor said that while doing both the turnabout and the reverse to only use the clutch and the brake, don’t use the accelerator. I suppose that is fine on level ground where the car will not stall. He said to do the reverse very slowly (clutch out half way) and tab the brake to keep control but there is no need for the accelerator. Is this good advice?
    I suppose I should stick with my instructors advice and leave the DVD alone as he has a good record in test success, he is highly praised by people who have used him and he is extremely busy compared to the other instructors in my town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Glendasan wrote:
    On the other hand my instructor says that I should check both my rear view mirror & left hand wing mirror before signalling left and didn’t stress any importance in checking my left mirror while moving in to the left. Which method is correct or are both methods acceptable?

Put it this way: If you ignore pedantics, which are you more likely to crush a cyclist with, your indicator or your car? ;) You should *always* check your mirror before your actual manoeuvre, regardless of whether you previously checked it before indicating. For test purposes, "Rear check, left check, indicate....Rear check, left check, turn" did the job for me.
    Glenman wrote:
    One final question, my instructor said that while doing both the turnabout and the reverse to only use the clutch and the brake, don’t use the accelerator. I suppose that is fine on level ground where the car will not stall. He said to do the reverse very slowly (clutch out half way) and tab the brake to keep control but there is no need for the accelerator. Is this good advice?

Hmm. I always use the accelerator, but I can see some logic behind not using it. I guess go with what you feel is most comfortable.

ballooba wrote:
    <snip>QUOTE]

Having used three of their instructors in the past (money pissed away), I would definitely agree.
    ballooba wrote:
    A cyclist was killed a few years back by a learner driver doing a left turn during a test.

Cripes, now that's a Grade 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

<snip>

I have my test in 13 days time and have had no lessons. Also using the ISM online videos; they seem gfood but I have no benchmark to compare it to...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

190 for 3 lessons:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

ballooba wrote: »
    <snip>

Now there's a sweeping statement! If you have never used them, you cant be in a direct position to judge every last one of them surely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Guys are you being serious? Please tell me I am reading this all wrong.
    Glenman you have a test in 10 days time, you had ONE lesson and you are watching a DVD???????????
    And you PLAN to do THREE more
    Amnesiac_ie you have a test in 13 days and you've had NO lessons
    And you plan to do THREE?
    And I assume both of you hope to pass?? EEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK AAAARRGGHHH:eek::eek::eek:
    Please tell me these numbers are wrong.

If correct then this is exactly why so many people are failing, failing and wasting time and continuing to be dangerous.

Stark, I am surprised you didnt comment on this GLARING disregard for the whole point of the test.

Look I am not singling you 2 out, your honesty is simply a candid confirmation of the way a large percentage have been approaching the test and the reason for the changes in the first place
    If by some fluke either of you pass, who knows, (Dempseys den may ask them to pass every eejit to keep the numbers down, well it happened before didnt it.) chances are you are not going to make good drivers long term.(serious understatement on my part)

But seriously, 7 lessons between 2 people, how farcically easy the test must be if 50% pass with this much preparation.
    I reckon at this rate, 10% would pass if they never sat in a car before.
    No wonder the standard of driving here is so bad. /<breaks steering wheel in frustration>

wil wrote:
    No wonder the standard of driving here is so bad. /<breaks steering wheel in frustration>

Relax will you? You'll live longer.

In Amnesiac's case, those 3 lessons include 2 2-hour lessons (Actually a bad idea imo, 2 separate 1 hour lessons would be far more beneficial).

I only took 3 or 4 lessons myself just prior to my test. However those weren't the only lessons I took. I took 10 starting off to get myself to a level where it was safe for me to drive accompanied but without dual controls, then had several months of driving under the guidance of my parents followed by the 3 or 4 pretest lessons to get rid of any bad habits I might have picked up from them. 3 or 4 pre-test lessons is plenty: "Lesson1: Instructor points out bad habits, go home and practise. Lesson 2: More bad habits, go home and practise. Lesson 3: last of the bad habits, go home and practise. Lesson 4: dry run for the test". I assume it's similar in the case of the posters above. Don't be so silly to think that the 3 lessons just before the test is the sum total of their preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

mcauley wrote: »
    Now there's a sweeping statement! If you have never used them, you cant be in a direct position to judge every last one of them surely!
    I encounter them every day with their students. Blocking off traffic so they can set down outside their offices. Driving the wrong way over speed humps. Generally teaching people how to drive badly.

BTW, I learned to drive with these guys back when they were the RAC. Unfortunately my instructor (who was excellent) has retired from instructing AFAIK. His name is Tony Whelan in case they convinced him to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

wil wrote: »
    Guys are you being serious? Please tell me I am reading this all wrong.
    Glenman you have a test in 10 days time, you had ONE lesson and you are watching a DVD???????????
    And you PLAN to do THREE more
    Amnesiac_ie you have a test in 13 days and you've had NO lessons
    And you plan to do THREE?
    And I assume both of you hope to pass?? EEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK AAAARRGGHHH:eek::eek::eek:
    Please tell me these numbers are wrong.

I've been driving regularly for two years. Before I beagn I studied the rules of the road and had lessons from my parents, housemates and some with an experienced instructor in cork who told me I was at good enough standard to apply for my test and practice until I was called. I applied for my driving test 10 months ago and was waiting until very recently to hear anything back from the ever efficient RSA. Trying to rush the test before my provo runs up in three weeks is not ideal but in my defence I drive on a daily basis, I feel I'm safe, I don't speed or drive recklessly and I've never been involved in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

i started driving in march of this year after having about 5 lessons from parents/friends. i took 3 pre-test lessons, studied the rules of the road from cover to cover and passed my test with very few faults in august. with the price of driving lessons as they are, i think 3 was sufficient.

• Advertisement

I've been driving regularly for two years. Before I beagn I studied the rules of the road and had lessons from my parents, housemates and some with an experienced instructor in cork who told me I was at good enough standard to apply for my test and practice until I was called. I applied for my driving test 10 months ago and was waiting until very recently to hear anything back from the ever efficient RSA. Trying to rush the test before my provo runs up in three weeks is not ideal but in my defence I drive on a daily basis, I feel I'm safe, I don't speed or drive recklessly and I've never been involved in an accident.
    Fair enuf, you came back as I wrote my last post.

My previous conclusion still stands however as I personally know too many who do fall in to the 4 lessons max category. and TBH even your possible 7 or 8 professional lessons is far from sufficient to guarantee a pass for most people. (of course abilities and learning rates differ)

Stark reckoned it took 3 lessons just to unlearn the bad stuff picked up from his parents, so unless yours are particularly good intructors in their own right, you may be in the same boat.
    It is harder to undo bad habits reinforced over 2 years than it is to pick up good habits over a few weeks.

simple unscientific example - my 2 cousins - one drove dads car daily for 3 years, failed test twice before passing. Really annoyed and hard done by first time until I asked him a few simple questions. I could tell him why he had failed, things he hadnt realised.
    His brother, never drove Dads car (sobriety issues) only did lessons with instructor, passed in 6 months start to finish, before his brother.
    Now who got to take Dads car. His dad like mine is not exactly a good driver, despite years of accident free driving, and should not be teaching anyone.

Anyone who states never having an accident as proof of their driving ability is extremely naive.
    Is there really any point in being proven wrong by being dead?:(

Anyway best of luck, I hope you prove yourself and hope you pass well.:)
    It's such a good feeling, probably the best Pass feeling of any exam I've ever done and thats a few.:)

I applied for my driving test 10 months ago and was waiting until very recently to hear anything back from the ever efficient RSA. Trying to rush the test before my provo runs up in three weeks is not ideal but in my defence I drive on a daily basis, I feel I'm safe, I don't speed or drive recklessly and I've never been involved in an accident.
    Just like to add that I appreciate the problems genuine learners have had with the system, it served no one well. By your attitude and general indications I have no reason to question your driving ability at all and I am sure you should be well capable of passing.
    In my own personal case I had just over 4 weeks notice of my test as I started to learn to drive, I did it in the UK. Both my instructer and I were expecting a couple of months at least, but anyway he said go for it. Glad I did.
    Having previously done a lesson each with 2 different Irish instructors, I'd have been better off handing them the money and going home.
    You need to get a good instructor. For €40 an hourI can tell you that you are good enough to pass, woefully easy money, but guarantee 95% that you will pass, thats the result that proves what they say is worth paying for.

Take 2 or 3 first lessons with different (recommended) instructors (some offer first lesson free) and go with the best one, otherwise you are pi$$ing your money and time away.

Never ever take lessons with an unqualified instructor. It will do more harm than good. Be they parent, sibling, partner or friend.

My sisters all did driving lessons with my dad. My dad has written off more cars than anone else I know. He is a terrible driver and he doesn't know how to use roundabouts or motorways. He learned to drive before they were common in Ireland. It's no surprise that it took them all several attempts to get their tests.

As for my mum. She got her licence in the amnesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

wil wrote: »
    Guys are you being serious? Please tell me I am Glenman you have a test in 10 days time, you had ONE lesson and you are watching a DVD???????????
    /<breaks steering wheel in frustration>

Well, I had two now (did one last night) and doing two more before the test along with a pre-test lesson. I would get more but my instructor is too busy to fit me in. He says that a drive round the route for an hour is as good as a lesson but I'd don't agree as you are that bit more nervous even when the instructor is sitting in -good practise for the actual test. I will be driving round the route most evenings and studying the rules of the road book. I also agree with someone elses point in that lesson are very expensive but they are worth it if you pass your test first time. Thank all for the advice

i started driving in march of this year after having about 5 lessons from parents/friends. i took 3 pre-test lessons, studied the rules of the road from cover to cover and passed my test with very few faults in august. with the price of driving lessons as they are, i think 3 was sufficient.
    A classmate in University came to very few classes, only those he couldnt get out of, used to photocopy all the notes a few weeks before exam then disappear and study for a few weeks.Lecturers couldnt say much because 3 years in a row he came first with a first. In final year he did same but was pissed off when he only came third in class.
    So not studying and getting it proves nothing except that a small number of people can get away little or no study. So for the general population, the exception proves the rule.
    You passing with a small number of lessons simply proves why the pass rate is so low. Imagine only 50% passed maths in the Leaving cert, teachers would be sacked, uproar. But if teachers said well parents allowed the kids not to study and LCert didnt matter, then thats the current approach to learning to drive. You may never see another French verb, solve a differentiation problem, write an essay, but chances are you will drive every day for work or leisure so why wouldnt anyone take a little bit more effort passing a simple but important driving test.
    Glenman wrote:
    He says that a drive round the route for an hour is as good as a lesson
    On the basis of that statement alone, he is a pillock and you are wasting your money. You are right to question him and should go elsewhere if possible.
    Actually he is probably right, a lesson from him is the same as no lesson at all.
    If you pass, I reckon it will be not because he is such a good teacher, but perhaps because you have a bit more common sense than to believe everything you are told.

BTW, I don't believe I would pass my test tomorrow without a few lessons from a qualified instructor. I have developed many bad habits since getting my licence a little over a year ago. I wouldn't dream of trying to teach anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Potential minefield here - thread locked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement