Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place to watch football in city centre

Options
  • 01-11-2007 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Synnott's near Stephen's Green is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

as much as i hate to admit it, fitsimons in temple bar is a good place for football

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

It depends on what you are looking for,do you want a pub with loads of TVs and good views from everywere...?or do you want pure atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

maradona10 wrote: »

Tolka Park :) - only one game left this season though but mosey on down :cool:

raheny red wrote: »
    Tolka Park :) - only one game left this season though but mosey on down :cool:

Tolka Park is not in the City Center...:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 theprodigals0n

It's a dreadful, dreadful bar, but Frazers on O'Connell St has loads of matches on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

porterhouse at the bottom of grafton street is ok for matches. Down Under is ok for big matches e.g finals.

by far the best place with loads of screens and good atmosphere is the woolshed up beside UGC cinema (near parnell street)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Croker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Just the thread I was lookin' for. I was thinkin' Fitzsimons meself. It's for the Arsenal v man Utd game. Goin' with a few friends. We all either support Arsenal or Man scum so it's a good mix of us.

Any other places than Fitzsimons that might be good for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tolka Park, Richmond Park or Dalymount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Tolka Park, Richmond Park or Dalymount.

Somebody already tried that smart answer. Hard luck. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Dublin Arsenal fan club meet at Katies Bar beside bus aras, not sure if you Man Utd friends would be welcome though.

koHd wrote: »
    Somebody already tried that smart answer. Hard luck. :rolleyes:

I wasn't being smart. The OP never mentioned anything about watching it on TV :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

spareman wrote: »
    Dublin Arsenal fan club meet at Katies Bar beside bus aras, not sure if you Man Utd friends would be welcome though.

So there are 4 lads siting around a table in Arse jerseys? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It's a dreadful, dreadful bar, but Frazers on O'Connell St has loads of matches on all the time.

It is absolutely dreadful. I was going there a couple of years before I discovered the Woolshed's a lot better, general shows all the matches that Frazers does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yeah Frazers is a dump but it's the only place to watch Celtic's home matches (Polish channel). It's certainly unique. On a Sunday afternoon you'd have Celtic fans in one corner, premiership fans in another, Italians in another, Germans in another and Chinese and Africans supporting anyone and everyone. :D

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Chinese and Africans supporting anyone and everyone. :D

A bit like the Irish in there so ;):D

I remember been in Frazers a few years ago for one of Liverpool's games that was only on one of the doggy TV stations.

I was standing at the bar and two blokes in the nip and I mean in the nip nothing on at all ran by,I said laughing to the bar man whats the story with that and he said...'they are Celtic fans they are grand..'

It was only of these things that could only happen in Dublin.Frazers certainly is a dump but it is also very unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Do you mean football as in real football like GAA? Or football as in poncy soccer who's players kiss and slobber all over each other each time they get a score...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Dub13 wrote: »
    I remember been in Frazers a few years ago for one of Liverpool's games that was only on one of the doggy TV stations.

I was standing at the bar and two blokes in the nip and I mean in the nip nothing on at all ran by,I said laughing to the bar man whats the story with that and he said...'they are Celtic fans they are grand..'

It was only of these things that could only happen in Dublin.Frazers certainly is a dump but it is also very unique.

Been to that kip unfortunately a few times in the evening. One Saturday my mates nearly got the **** kicked outta them by a group of so called Celtic fans because they were supporting Liverpool 'a foreign team'.

C'mon the ****, I know a good few of the inner city kids didn't finish school but can they be that dumb? BTW I reckon the picture in Irish Times or Independent showing a guy holding a banner saying 'foreign sports out' at time it was IRL vs ENG in rugby had to be a set up/pay off/photo/shoot whatever to sell a few papers and that's why the face wasn't shown. But those people might exist!!

• Advertisement

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Do you mean football as in real football like GAA? Or football as in poncy soccer who's players kiss and slobber all over each other each time they get a score...

GAA = catch and kick,IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Dub13 wrote: »
    GAA = catch and kick,IMO.

As opposed to...?? "Grab and Kiss" maybe:D

Bang Bang wrote: »
    As opposed to...?? "Grab and Kiss" maybe:D

LOL...nice reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Keith186 wrote: »
    Been to that kip unfortunately a few times in the evening. One Saturday my mates nearly got the **** kicked outta them by a group of so called Celtic fans because they were supporting Liverpool 'a foreign team'.
    I'm sorry but I just can't believe that. Absolute rubbish imo. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 doubledeckerbus

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I just can't believe that. Absolute rubbish imo. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you a liar.

Well actually you are.

I believe this, had a similar experience myself the one time I was there. There was a group of Celtic fans watching a Man Utd match being the most obviously racist, sectarian, misogynistic group I have ever seen. They were basically slagging off the Premiership... while watching it. It was a horribly provocative atmosphere and the bouncers didn't do anything about it. I agree that the Woolshed is much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

The Down Under bar on Parnell St
    (Beside the cinema)

Good atmosphere last time I was there.

Advertisement