Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multivitamin + Omega 3 Supplement: Vit E

• 01-11-2007 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi,

I've started taking a Multivitamin everday (with 100% RDA of Vitamin E - 10mg).

I also started (today) taking a Fish oil supplement which has Vitamin E in it (3 caps a day - 4.5mg in total).

Is it possible to take too much Vitamin E? Are there known (dangerous) side-effects to excessive Vitamin E?

Thanks

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that it can act as an anticoagulant. See here for more information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

The thing with Vit E is that it's one of the fat-soluble vitamins, so the excess will get stored in your fat deposits, as opposed to just urinated out as the water-soluble vitamins are.

The Irish Medical Board recommends an RDA of 10mg of Vit E with a Max RDA of 11mg. In the US thought the RDA has recently been increased to 15mg, and the Upper Limit of Vit E is given as 1000mg/day which is like the absolute maximum you can take. So at the quantities you describe I wouldn't imagine there's anything huge to be concerned about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

Every Cod-Liver product I came across contained Vit E (even just Cod-liver oil).

I would have thought it was common to take both a Multi-Vitamin and Fish supplements (espeically if you are training), but I guess it ain't.

Either way, many thanks for the advice guys.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

if you balance your diet right there should be no need for most suppliments how ever if ya using vitamin e to help heal scars or cuts and are afraid to over consume one option is to burst the capsule and smear it over scarred area as it can have same effects of healin

Advertisement