Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 World Cup in England?

• 01-11-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

So it looks like England are definitely bidding for the world cup in 2018.

Seen this article on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2007/10/which_are_englands_best_ground_1.html

So which stadiums should be used in your opinion. FIFA's rules are as follows:
    There are some ground rules. FIFA apparently like to have a maximum of 12 stadia hosting any particular World Cup. Each venue must hold at least 40,000 fans. And they prefer only one city to have more than one ground.

So with the city rule above, I guess it would have to be London with Wembley and Ashburton Grove/The Emirates being used

My 12 would be:

1 Wembley
    2 Emirates Stadium (Arsenal)
    3 Old Trafford (Man Utd)
    4 New Anfield/Stanley Park (Liverpool)
    5 New Goodison (Everton, if they go to Kirkby it is technically outside of Liverpool... Don't get me started on this one :p )
    6 Villa Park (Aston Villa)
    7 St. James' Park (Newcastle)
    8 Stadium of Light (Sunderland)
    9 New City Ground (Nottingham Forest)
    10 New Portsmouth Stadium (Portsmouth - increased capacity needed)
    11 Elland Road (Leeds - Renovation needed)
    12 Hillsborough (Sheffield Wednesday - Renovation needed)

It would be interesting if Scotland and Wales get involved as well. That opens up Celtic Park, Ibrox, Hampden, Millenium Stadium, Murrayfield etc..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Could'nt argue with that list, the south coast only gets one, but I doubt Sotons ground would be considered big enough. The others should not be involved, they are not required.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

other possible candidates are the Madjeski (Reading) stadium and DEFINATLEY the City of Manchester Stadium, Stamford Bridge and White Hart Lane.

I would have those 4 above the OP's last 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    other possible candidates are the Madjeski (Reading) stadium and DEFINATLEY the City of Manchester Stadium, Stamford Bridge and White Hart Lane.

I would have those 4 above the OP's last 4.

I don't think reading meets the capacity requirements (at the moment... it could be expanded). City of Manchester and Stamford Bridge are good stadiums but the ruling states that only one city can have more than one stadium... I would think London would get the nod perhaps over manchester with wembley and the emirates being in london..

It would'nt be clever to have too many venues within 30/40 miles of each other either.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The amount of work that needs to be done to get these stadiums into the required levels is unreal. The problem England have is not that they don't have the capacity, it's that only Old Trafford and Wembely currently have adequate press space apparently.

There are other options that people might not of thought of,
    Twickenham is an 82,000 seater. It might get the nod ahead of the Emirates. It would make sense to have three stadiums in London if they'd allowed it.

Also the City of Birmingham stadium is meant to be 55,000. They will really want to spread it out as much as humanly possible. You might even see Sunderland not get in because of this.

Then of course if it's a Great Britain bid included, you'd have in Scotland either Murrayfield or Celtic Park, then in Cardiff you'd have the Millennium stadium.

If you used those countries, all of the quarter finals would have a capacity of over 70k which would be immense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Another issue could be the Olympic stadium, i would say the government would like it to get used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Tauren wrote: »
    Another issue could be the Olympic stadium, i would say the government would like it to get used.

From what I read somewhere, when this is turned into a football stadium after the Olympics, the capacity will be well under 40,000... Depends who takes it over of course, but I think Leyton Orient and a 25,000 is on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

My 12 would be:

1 Wembley
    2 Emirates Stadium (Arsenal)
    3 Old Trafford (Man Utd)
    4 New Anfield/Stanley Park (Liverpool)
    5 New Goodison (Everton, if they go to Kirkby it is technically outside of Liverpool... Don't get me started on this one :p )
    6 Villa Park (Aston Villa)
    7 St. James' Park (Newcastle)
    8 Stadium of Light (Sunderland)
    9 New City Ground (Nottingham Forest)
    10 New Portsmouth Stadium (Portsmouth - increased capacity needed)
    11 Elland Road (Leeds - Renovation needed)
    12 Hillsborough (Sheffield Wednesday - Renovation needed)

That would be close to my list, I'd add Middlesboro's stadium (If that's counted as a different city to Newcastle).

I also think they would have to include Cardiff in the list.

Taking into account the 2 I mentioned, I'd leave out Hillsbrough and Elland Road from your list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Also if it becomes a GB bid, Murrayfield could also be used, 60k capacity I believe. Another possibility would be Bolton's Reebok Stadium.

I'd add Middlesboro's stadium (If that's counted as a different city to Newcastle).

*cough* :eek:

Mike.

• Advertisement

There were rumours a while ago that due to this bid, United were looking into the possibility of extending the South Stand, hopefully with government support. I think if this did happen it'd be hilarious, as it would mean Old Trafford was the biggest stadium in the country even after all the money they spent on Wembely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

possibility would be Bolton's Reebok Stadium.

think i read somewhere the reebok cant be made any bigger due to the design.
    and i cant see them wanting to anyway...have you seen the crouds they get?

PHB wrote: »
    There were rumours a while ago that due to this bid, United were looking into the possibility of extending the South Stand, hopefully with government support. I think if this did happen it'd be hilarious, as it would mean Old Trafford was the biggest stadium in the country even after all the money they spent on Wembely

Not likely to happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Whoever suggested White Hart Lane, it's too small. And from what I've heard it's a nightmare to get to. Besides, England will be bidding for the World Cup - not LONDON.

Anyway, Spain ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

England will have to be one of the favourites this time, though it will partly depend on who gets it in 2014 aswell, they mightn't give it two European countries consecutively. But Spain,France,Italy and Germany have all hosted it since England last did so they're probably due one to be fair. The infrastructure is there aswell, they wouldn't need to build a whole heap of new stadia. If it's strictly an England bid the FA may want English stadia only, although I wouldn't be surprised if they still used the Millennium stadium seen as Cardiff play in the English league anyway.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    England will have to be one of the favourites this time, though it will partly depend on who gets it in 2014 aswell, they mightn't give it two European countries consecutively. But Spain,France,Italy and Germany have all hosted it since England last did so they're probably due one to be fair. The infrastructure is there aswell, they wouldn't need to build a whole heap of new stadia.
    Em, Brazil are hosting it in 2014. It was announced the other day. They were of course the only bidders.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Em, Brazil are hosting it in 2014. It was announced the other day. They were of course the only bidders.

Wasn't aware of that. With South Africa in 2010 and Brazil 2014 it will be due back in Europe in 2018 so you'd have to fancy England's chances this time. If they fail with this bid they'll never get it.

Wasn't aware of that. With South Africa in 2010 and Brazil 2014 it will be due back in Europe in 2018 so you'd have to fancy England's chances this time. If they fail with this bid they'll never get it.
    Also announced the other day, FIFA have abandoned their rotation policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Would Hull's KC stadium be able to host a few group games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Australia are planning a bit to host the tournament as well according to the news tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Australia are planning a bit to host the tournament as well according to the news tonight.

I hope they get it too.

The only problem is that they might use those cricket ovals.

Too far from the crowd for soccer imo.

The Aussie Stadium in Sydney is a beaut.

DesF wrote: »
    I hope they get it too.

The only problem is that they might use those cricket ovals.

Too far from the crowd for soccer imo.

The Aussie Stadium in Sydney is a beaut.

Yeah it looks quality.

There's certainly plenty of stadiums but like the AFL, too much of the action would be centered around Melbourne. Perth for example only has one decent stadium at the moment in Subiaco Oval, though there are plans to develop a massive soccer/rugby stadium in the next couple of years.

There's certainly plenty of stadiums but like the AFL, too much of the action would be centered around Melbourne.
    :confused:

That's because most of the teams are from Vic. Even the Swans and the Lions used to be Vic teams.

Anyway, that's for the AFL forum, if it even gets off the ground.

Haven't they plans for a similar League/Soccer specific stadium in and around Melbourne too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Boo-urns to this Aussie socceroo rubbish. Get games to engalnd so we can day trip over and watch some good games.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Get games to engalnd so we can day trip over and watch some good games.

My jaysis.

Ireland won't even be there.

My jaysis.

Exactly, hence "good games".

I'm German anyway.

That's because most of the teams are from Vic. Even the Swans and the Lions used to be Vic teams.

Hence the lack of stadiums in places such as Canberra. None of the NRL stadiums would be big enough so it's pretty limited outside of Melbourne and Sydney, especially with that rule they have.
    Anyway, that's for the AFL forum, if it even gets off the ground.

You sound almost sceptical there Des. I think we'll be ok.

Exactly, hence "good games".

Meh, International Football is gone to the dogs anyway, by 2018 it'll be absolutely brutal altogether.
    I'm German anyway.

Oh yeah.
    Xavi6 wrote:
    Hence the lack of stadiums in places such as Canberra. None of the NRL stadiums would be big enough so it's pretty limited outside of Melbourne and Sydney, especially with that rule they have.
    Canberra is a place? Seriosly, I heard it was just a made up kind of thing:)

The place where the Lions play, is that a Cricket Oval?

Cairns and Darwin certainly have nothing of note.

Maybe build a nice stadium out at Ayres Rock? Easy access anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

supposidly so are Holland, Belgium and Luxemburg although why the would include luxemburg in their bid is beyond me as surely that would only detract from it.
    no need to be so negative/definitive there Des, its over 10 years from now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I couldn't see 2018 being anywhere other then Europe to be honest. If it doesn't come to Europe then, that'll be 16years without it, which is pretty scandalous considering the majority of the main teams are European.

Id say 2018 in England, then support Australia for 2022.

Oh yeah.

Canberra is a place? Seriosly, I heard it was just a made up kind of thing:)

The place where the Lions play, is that a Cricket Oval?

Cairns and Darwin certainly have nothing of note.

Maybe build a nice stadium out at Ayres Rock? Easy access anyway.

Lol. Yeah the Gabba is a cricket ground too.

I suppose you could host a few games out on Tassy in Aurora Stadium but even the Hawks are playing home games in the MCG now.

The hosting venues for the 2003 Rugby World Cup were -

Sydney Telstra Stadium 83,500
    Melbourne Telstra Dome 53,371
    Brisbane Suncorp Stadium 52,500
    Perth Subiaco Oval 42,922
    Sydney Aussie Stadium 41,159
    Adelaide Adelaide Oval 33,597
    Townsville Dairy Farmers Stadium 24,843
    Canberra Canberra Stadium 24,647
    Gosford Bluetongue CC Stadium 20,119
    Launceston York Park 19,891
    Wollongong WIN Stadium 18,484

Add the MCG to that and you have the required 12 stadiums but some of the capacities are awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

matrim wrote: »
    That would be close to my list, I'd add Middlesboro's stadium

Sweet mother of jaysus, have you ever visited that soul-less kip? The walk from the city centre alone is enough to put you off.

I'd add extended capacities at the following to the list:

Molineux
    Leicester's Walkers Stadium
    Coventry's Ricoh Arena

The new Goodison won't get in if they insist on the two stadiums in one city bit. White Hart Lane will be extended by then (and hopefully have improved transport links) but wouldn't be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I couldn't see 2018 being anywhere other then Europe to be honest. If it doesn't come to Europe then, that'll be 16years without it, which is pretty scandalous considering the majority of the main teams are European.

Id say 2018 in England, then support Australia for 2022.

It was in Germany in 2006! I'd love to see England get it aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

An Citeog wrote: »

It was in Germany in 2006! I'd love to see England get it aswell.

yeah so if England don't get it then first possible chance for europe to get it would be in another 4 years, i.e. 2022 - which would be 16 years from when the last WC would have been in Europe (06) as you pointed out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    yeah so if England don't get it then first possible chance for europe to get it would be in another 4 years, i.e. 2022 - which would be 16 years from when the last WC would have been in Europe (06) as you pointed out!

Yeah, my bad. In my defence, I am really really hungover! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wheres twickenham?

List is fine and UTD are going to add that 3rd tier reckon the goverment help bit was a ploy to scab some money, think it was said it would hold 85,000 when complete :eek:

Knowing our ****ing luck they will get and we wont be in it :(

But if australia get it we will romp tru our group. :(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Twickenham is in London...love the atmosphere there, really nice ground.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Also announced the other day, FIFA have abandoned their rotation policy.

Was aware of that, but by 2018 Europe might be due one, and England will be well overdue by that stage. 52 years.

Was aware of that, but by 2018 Europe might be due one, and England will be well overdue by that stage. 52 years.

Immaterial IMO.

Look at this.

84 - USA
    98 - France
    02 - Japan/Korea
    06 - Germany

FIFA are looking to bring the game to non traditional football areas at least every other WC since 94.

I reckon if Australia DO bid for it, then FIFA would cream themselves, the Aussies put the Irish to shame with their bandwagonism when it comes to sports.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    List is fine and UTD are going to add that 3rd tier reckon the goverment help bit was a ploy to scab some money, think it was said it would hold 85,000 when complete :eek:
    the capacity would likely go up to 96,000 if the third tier was put in, but it isn't going to happen, unless the government pumps a lot of cash into. the cost of improving that stand would be absolutely massive, and take a long time to recoup. There have been plans in the past to increase the capacity further, but it just isn't worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Will be fantastic !

Ireland v England in the final. Commentary by Shane long (retired) and jimmy mcgee.

Will be fantastic !

Ireland v England in the final. Commentary by Shane long (retired) and jimmy mcgee.

I would have thought that at 31 Shane Long would be still playing at 31, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

when the bid was being discussed earlier in the year there was talk of spreading the games around the country away from some of the more traditional footballing areas - the most notable examples being Bristol or Plymouth in the West and Norwich in the East (new stadia obv). ManU\ManC\Liverpool\Everton and Newcastle\Sunderland are all very close together - can't see them all being used despite their high capacities.

Forget about hosting matches in scotland or wales - it won't happen.

As for FIFA alternating between traditional and non-traditional hosts - this is true recently but they've also held at least every second tournament in Europe - awarding the 2014 cup to Brazil breaks this pattern, they will definitely be back in Europe in 2018, you can bet your house on it...

The problem with Old Trafford isn't the cost of building the 2nd tier to the south stand, it's knocking down the row of houses and the railway line. That would be hugely hugely expensive.

PHB wrote: »
    The problem with Old Trafford isn't the cost of building the 2nd tier to the south stand, it's knocking down the row of houses and the railway line. That would be hugely hugely expensive.
    yeah - i know, tha tis my point. the cost of building the 3rd tier, which would include knocking down the houses and re-routing the main Manchester-Liverpool line (would have to be re-routed as they would not be allowed to build a 40,000 seater stand over it) is what makes it too expensive to do, unless the government/FA decide to chip in towards the cost (and if liverpool can get grants for their stadium, why not?)

I have heard the United do/did own the houses in question, and had support of the local council for the project after one of the more recent local ellections (the area was involved in a switch of parties from Labour to Tory or the other way round) and the elected officials didn't really care what United did while the previous council was against it. However, I have since heard runours that the houses that had been owned by United have since been sold on; which would mean that united would have to start buying all over again. Although they could ask the government to force people to move out of the area in question, like a certain other premiership team has done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Twickenham is in London...love the atmosphere there, really nice ground.

It is a lovely ground, but it has no segregation and the RFU refuse to put any in which, I believe, is one of the reasons it was not used while Wembley was being developed.

If there are two in London then I expect the Emirates, but they may want to use the Olympic ground.

It would be good to see another in the south. Reading are extending to 38k, I bet they wished they had gone for the extra 2000 now! Our new ground is still in the pipeline, although the site has moved. It was planned at 36000 but hopefully they may go for a few more seats.

Hopefully by then S***hampton will have gone bust and their ground will be just a bad memory:D

Advertisement