Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boo! scary games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

+1 on a few that were already said.

Doom3, I remember playing this when I was out of work with a broken arm when it came out. I remember trying not to jump as everytime I did it hurt like hell, but no way of stopping it :(
    Also played HL 2 at the same time and even Ravenholm did nothing for me.

Condemnded and FEAR also great, Condemnded more so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I found FEAR to be about as terrifying as an episode of the teletubbies.
    Project zero 2: scariest game ever. Possibly tied for first place with SH2. But PZ2's ending just blew my ****ing bollocks off. Couldnt actually believe what i was seeing. Unforgettable game, and one that literally scared me so much i had to force myself to stop playing it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

0ubliette wrote: »
    I found FEAR to be about as terrifying as an episode of the teletubbies.

The teletubbies are pretty scary alright ;) have you played the expansion? The original game FEAR was more just things jumping out at you. But the expansion built a lot more on the tension and gave you a sense of paranoia that you where seeing things. Although looking at PZ2 screens just there, it does look pretty freaky

EDIT: Just watched both endings of PZ2 on youtube... they both suck, what exactly happened that you couldn't believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Dacelonid wrote: »
    For me it has to be Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. The part where you have to go to the Haunted House. Everytime I play it, it always sends a shiver down my spine. There is something so well done in that mission that it really does unsettle you (or me anyway). I can't play that mission if it is anyway dark at all.

I know what you mean, the ghost girl that appears across the landing was freaky! Other games that iv found scary/disturbing were System Shock 2, Condemned, Silent Hill 1 & 2 and Forbidden Siren(when you get caught and the zombies are looking for you, you can see through their eyes)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fear scared the bejesus out of me :eek:the little girl is freaky:o and those stealth dudes coming outta nowhere also scared the bejusus :o out of me,I can't wait to play excaction point :D Have'nt even finished the first one yet though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth on the Xbox. It's probably the most criminally overloaked game of the last generation but is thankfully backwards compatable with the 360. It's makes a real effort to do something different with the FPS genre and is genuinely creepy.

The escape across the rooftops, the epic ship battle, even the first entrance to the town oozed atmosphere from every pore. I had it on the pc and loved it. It sucked to go crazy though, shame you didn't shoot wildly first before capping yourself. The game single-handedly turned my passing fancy for Lovecraft into a full blown obsession.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

magick wrote: »
    Clive Barkers Undying
    Maybe , but the main characters "Oirish" accent was the scariest thing in that!
    Scary stuff:
    System Shock 2(more creepy dread than sudden scares)
    Resi 2 (theres a bit where zombies attack on a loading screen which was defitely a jumpy moment)
    Rescue on Fractalus: the first time one of the "pilots" you're rescuing turns out to be an alien and jumps onto the front of the ship to smash the windscreen, Its brown trousers time , especially if you were a 12 year old luas_dublin who hadnt read the manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The teletubbies are pretty scary alright ;) have you played the expansion? The original game FEAR was more just things jumping out at you. But the expansion built a lot more on the tension and gave you a sense of paranoia that you where seeing things. Although looking at PZ2 screens just there, it does look pretty freaky

EDIT: Just watched both endings of PZ2 on youtube... they both suck, what exactly happened that you couldn't believe?

What the?!?
    you just watched the end without playing the game?? Of course thats going to suck! Would you watch the end of a movie without knowing the story/charachters and go 'that film sucked!'?
    Congrats, you just ruined the excellent story of PZ2 for yourself :p

EDIT
    basically you spend the entire game hunting for you lost sister mafyu, only to end up stranglign her to death in the ritual at the end of the game..sounds crap on paper but after spending 10 hours getting the crap scared out of you trying to find her and uncovering the whole back story of the sister, only to wind up killing your own sister, was a complete and total switcheroo i never saw coming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

What the?!?
    you just watched the end without playing the game?? Of course thats going to suck! Would you watch the end of a movie without knowing the story/charachters and go 'that film sucked!'?
    Congrats, you just ruined the excellent story of PZ2 for yourself :p

ah i'm never going to play it. Not a console gamer. I wasn't saying the whole game was crap, I was just expecting something that was more VISUALLY scary, it would probably be more scary building up to the ending than the actual ending itself.

Although I will agree, watching it on youtube takes a lot of the scare out of it. This is the scene in extraction point that I nearly shat myself watching. Although it seems not as bad watching it now compared to when it happened. WARNING: WILL SPOIL FEAR:Extraction Point for those who haven't played it
    The reason it was so scary is that you had been working alongside Holiday for a good while then all of a sudden he just dies and all his bones get broken

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lUYebcJJgWM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

PZ2's ending just blew my ****ing bollocks off. Couldnt actually believe what i was seeing.

Yeah, great ending/story... it stays with you. I like the type of horror in the game, the atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Like everyone else, Silent Hill 2 alone at night was just about the scariest thing ever, closely followed by Eternal Darkness on the GC.
    I found Doom 3 made me jump quite a bit as well, that feckin' torch/gun thing kept too many creatures in the dark for too long!
    Alone In The Dark back in the day was pretty creepy, I had it on the 3DO and there was a memorable scene where you are in the house library and can take down a book or two, you pop one off the shelf and as you character reads the words out loud he is lifted slowly off of the floor and has his neck snapped, sends shivers down my spine even now!
    Condenmed, once again, was amazing, and kept the fear cranked up, not quite Silent Hill but a close second, I can't wait for the sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Chalk up another vote for Silent Hill and Project Zero games here. Condemned was also quite scary in parts. System Shock 2 and Undying are both also worthy of a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

That bit in fear was a little too comic to be properly scary.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I noticed a few people mentioned the Call of Cthulu game. It wasn't a great shooter but very creepy. The insanity effects were pretty cool. Worth picking up if anyone hasn't played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dark corners of the earth is the game. That and undying tbh are damned scarey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

i remember playing Res evil on PS1, it was the music that made that game, groaning of zombies, and the window smashing in a quiet corrider (cant remember what jumped out) but i know what fell outta me!!!
    In the mood to buy a good poo your pants horror game.
    So what can people recomend for PS2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Keith C wrote: »
    So what can people recomend for PS2?

Project Zero 2: Crimson Butterfly.

It isn't necessary to have played the prequel... different story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Another System Shock 2 junkie here. It skicks out in my mind as the most atmospheric and constantly creepy game ever. Spending the first half of the game trying to
    get to the safety of Pollito's office, then getting there, seeing her dead body, and then Shodan lifts back the walls...i literally poo'd[/spolier].

FEAR was great too...but that comes from my irrational fear of creepy little girls. And creepy naked dead older girls...although that might not be as irrational.

AvP was also brilliant...at least the Marine part was. Never before have i sprayed as many bullets as i did in that. Walking along, your motion detector starts beeping...SPRAY!!! But its only a crane swinging. Moving on, motion detector starts beeping again...SPRAY!!! No wait, only a door closing. Moving on again, motion detector starts beeping...wait for it...wait for it...Aliens all over the place, and i've no ammo left :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Operation Flashpoint:

Not a traditionally scary game but had more genuinely scary moments than most survival horrors when playing as a grunt. Being the only one left in your squad while having to traverse from one end of the island to the other through enemy infested woods with lynx attack choppers scanning the surroundings over head was terrifying. Also after clearing out an enemy location only to hear tanks coming from miles off and getting the order to leg it from them. The one save per mission also helped the tension like it did in the first AvsP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

took 17 posts for someone to mention system shock 2.

i still have nightmeres in which xeres is part of. and hell i didn't even play the game, i just watched it being played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Doom 3, and Second Sight.
    Doom 3 was probably the worst - loads of mobs jumping out of dark corners, again and again ad infinitum. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Loved doom3, one of the most atmospheric game i've ever played.

For me Resident Evil2 , the bit with the interogation Room when the tongue lasher jumped through the mirror. I hate things that jump, and that nearly gave me heart failure. got killed the first attempt because i dropped the joypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i thought doom 3 was really really predictable.

walk down corridor, monster spawns. walk down another corridor a secret wall opens up with monster inside it.

repeat for however long the game was.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Quake, it was just so atmospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Cremo wrote: »

walk down corridor, monster spawns. walk down another corridor a secret wall opens up with monster inside it.

Indeed, monster closets galore, after 20 minutes it was not scary at all, quite a poor game really. Pick up ammo, OHNOE A MONSTER. Pick up health, OHNOE A MONSTER. Yawn.

uglyjohn wrote: »
    Quake, it was just so atmospheric.

Yay Nine Inch Nails! I'm sure thats what you ment. ;) I was a bit young for that, couldn't play it at all. So yes scary indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

koneko wrote: »
    Indeed, monster closets galore, after 20 minutes it was not scary at all, quite a poor game really. Pick up ammo, OHNOE A MONSTER. Pick up health, OHNOE A MONSTER. Yawn.

My personal favorite was "OMG a monster has just teleported in front of me"

*blasts monster in face with shotty, then turns 180 degress and fires randomly without even aiming as there is always teh scary monsters teleported in behind you to be extra cheap*

Being in an empty space station on mars full of hellspawn should not be so predictable, felt like i spent the vast majority of the game doing this,oh wait I did :rolleyes:.

Personal favorite scary games would be:

AVP 1: Very few games have been as intense experience as the marine campaign. One of the few games to have you panic fire blindly every few seconds:D.

Condemned: One of the few games to make me jump right out of my seat declaring the developers to be complete bastards. The devs really got the whole "I never feel safe" atmosphere down.

I always hated when an enemy ran away from you and hid: you never really knew where they went and you spent the minute or two creeping around corners looking for them.

Enemies did not jump out of every corner every two seconds like doom 3:you could go a whole 5-10 mins on some stages before getting attacked. Waiting to be attacked was by far the worst feeling in the game.

Loved the fact even though I knew an enemy was dead, I always gave the corpse a few extra hits, just to be on the safe side...

The fact that you rarely had a gun with more than three bullets and relied on a lead pipe to defend yourself really made the game scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Operation Flashpoint:

Not a traditionally scary game but had more genuinely scary moments than most survival horrors when playing as a grunt. Being the only one left in your squad while having to traverse from one end of the island to the other through enemy infested woods with lynx attack choppers scanning the surroundings over head was terrifying. Also after clearing out an enemy location only to hear tanks coming from miles off and getting the order to leg it from them. The one save per mission also helped the tension like it did in the first AvsP.

Jesus, that one after your squad got ambushed? And you had to make alone through three mini-forests swarming with troops, and the choppers overhead?

I was sweating every time I heard a sound. That one-save really made a difference.

MOH wrote: »
    Jesus, that one after your squad got ambushed? And you had to make alone through three mini-forests swarming with troops, and the choppers overhead?

I was sweating every time I heard a sound. That one-save really made a difference.

Those forests were terrifying. You could barely see in front of you at all. I remember getting headphones just so I could listen out for footsteps and leaf rustles better and if shot at co-ordinate the source quicker. This of course led to the inevitable shocks when someone taps you on the shoulder and you didn't hear them coming.
    That game was intense and definitely should be on the list. I know it was very free-form but on one level I remember my whole squad being taken out by a sniper in the village somewhere. I was the only one left without a clue where he was sneaking through, house by house. Great game.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Cremo wrote: »

Predictable but it still left me a nervous wreck. I could only play that for like 15-20 minutes at a time. Basically the equivalent of somebody jumping out of a wardrobe shouting "boo" every few minutes. Id are bastards. AvP was another one that I could never play for extended periods, due to the Boo-Factor™.

As for SS2, that was more creepy than Boo-Factor™. One of my all time favorite games still.

Advertisement