Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing X1950Pro PCIE

Options
  • 01-11-2007 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

When installing the PCIE version of the above card is there anything additional I require that doesn't come in the box? Have heard something about a molex 6 pin adapter??

Any help would be much appreciated as I plan to install the card tonigt.

EireEV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

what make is it. they generally come with everything you need. my sapphire one did anyway. inc a 6pin adapter which i didn't need cos my powersupply has a pci-express cable on it, yours might too depending on the make and how new it is?

Thanks happygandalf.

Installed the card this morning and everything appears to be fine.

Does anybody know of any good benchmarking tools so I can just see that I'm getting the max out of the card?

I can't load the ATI Catalyst Control Centre - was the same when I has the Radeon X300 - error reads "Could not load file or assembly 'CLI.Implemtation, Version 2.0.2736.38315, Culture = Neutal etc... The System cannot find the file specified.

Anybody got any ideas on what can be done to fix this?

Thanks.

EireEV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Install the latest version of Net Framework, should fix that.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

Use 3dMark06 to bench your system.

Have done this Havok but still having the same problem.

Any other ideas?

• Advertisement

Also what resolution should I be playing the games at - max resolution of the monitor is 1280*1024? Should I be using a resolution somewhere in the middle like 1280*768?

Hi Havok,

The reason I ask the above question is becuase when I run some games at 1280*1024 there is quite a serious lag i.e MOH-Airborne in particular.

Somebody mentioned something about turn off AF + AA. Do you know how to do this and should I do this?

I suppose what I'm asking for is what the general configuration of the card should be for me?

Are you restricted by the monitor's capabilities when choosing your resolution?

Max resolution of my monitor is 1280*1024 so max resolution I can play games at from in game menus is also 1280*1024.

Sorry if all these questions seem a bit silly.

3DMark06 score was in around 4000 or so - not sure if this is any good or not.

Thanks.

EireEV

About the CCC I'm really not sure why you're getting that error. I would uninstall current drivers, use driver cleaner pro to uninstall all traces after uninstalling and then again on restart. From reading around there doesn't seem to be any specific trick other then reinstalling and making sure all traces of your last install are completely gone before you do so. Install the newest drivers, not the ones from the CD, make sure DirectX and net framework is fully updated...

The problem with Airborne, well, what sort of settings are you running at aside resolution? It's a fairly demanding game, and certainly if you're running at 1280x1024 high settings you will feel the slowdown. AA and AF are probably off by default, you can enable/disable them in the Control panel. (which I know you cannot access). I'd say for Airborne, a happy medium would be 1024x768 high settings, should be fine. It will scale up, so the image will still fit your screen perfectly, but you will be more likely to notice a decrease in visual quality. Nothing terrible, but noticable. The higher the resolution, the higher the strain on your card.

3d Mark Score seems OK, maybe a few hundred short of the norm for that card (Think I was getting about 5k with mine, actually, what are your other system specs?) but nothing catastrophic, and I'm sure a newer driver would help.

Thanks for this Havok.

I have a link to a thread at home that has a step by step guide on how to get rid of this problem so hopefull this will do the trick - I'll post the link up later.

Can you send me a link to the latest version of the .Net framework as I've seen so many different version from browsing so I'm totally confused - Do I need to install V1.0, V1.1 & V2.0 or just V2.0?

I'll download the latest display drivers & CCC from the ATI website and try that out.

Other machine specs of note:

P4 3Ghz
    2GB DDR2 533Mhz Non-ECC
    160Gb internal HD and 500GB external.

Thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

YOu may aswell get all of the .netframeworks . I know BF2CC requires 1.1 and the hotfix and I don't think it will run with 2.0 so there are probably a few other apps that are the same, not to mention the fact that 2.0 does not overright 1.1 . Also .netframework 3.0 is out now too.

• Advertisement

Hey - Followed the instructions from Decane in the following thread http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=216029 and hey presto the CCC is now loading successfully !

AA + AF look to be disabled.

Installed the latest display driver from the ATI web site and ran 3DMark06 again - score of 3800 which is probably what I had first time but you had a score of 5k Havok so what could be the possible reason behind my score being 1200 lower?

EireEV

Your 3Ghz P4 is old tech that is drastically holding you back, and will also be what's limiting you in games aside the power of the X1950Pro. :)

I had an E6400 @ 2.7Ghz for that score, which is more then 2x as powerful as your P4.

So is it all doom and gloom or should my current config suffice for playing latest games on medium settings?

Is 3800 a bad score?

Soldier of Fortune 3 - I remember the first one - extremely good game as far as I can remember.

You should be perfectly OK for running new games at medium-ish settings. I wouldn't say doom and gloom, you've definitely given your machine a breath of life without breaking the bank, and even if it's technically throttled by your processor it's got to be massive improvement over your last video card.

3800 isn't a terrible score, it depends what you compare it against - to an enthusiast, yes it would be a terrible score, but to an average user not really. 3dMark is largely to be ignored as a base against real world performance. On my old machine, I had a 3.4Ghz P4 and a 7600GT. I got something like 1,400, which was a dreadful score. But I could still run most games on high-ish settings at the time.

As for SOF3....never liked the first one much, though the 2nd was probably my favorite game ever...brilliant online play. :D

IS SOF3 out in Europe on the 16th?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

The radeon 1950pro I bought last week seems to need to plug into the power supply AND the hard drive. It's on the diagram on the plastic around it. Thing is, the connection on the cable that came with it for the hard drive seem to be one of those IDE connections, not the SATA one. This meant I couldnt connect it to the hard drive. i didnt expect this needed to be done, usually its just the PSU that needs to be connected. I couldnt test this as the motherboard I bought turnd out to be faulty..

Can anyone confirm this needs to be done or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

You need to plug in the X1950 pro to a hard drive through an IDE cable?? No I can confirm for you that that does not need to be done.

Den_M wrote: »
    The radeon 1950pro I bought last week seems to need to plug into the power supply AND the hard drive. It's on the diagram on the plastic around it. Thing is, the connection on the cable that came with it for the hard drive seem to be one of those IDE connections, not the SATA one. This meant I couldnt connect it to the hard drive. i didnt expect this needed to be done, usually its just the PSU that needs to be connected. I couldnt test this as the motherboard I bought turnd out to be faulty..

Can anyone confirm this needs to be done or not?

It was probably a splitter that allows you to use an existing molex to convert to a pci-e 6pin while still providing a molex for your HD or other things.

Advertisement