Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More PC Madness ?

• 01-11-2007 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

Bah Humbug.......

"Christmas should be downgraded unless other religious festivals are marked on an even footing, a Government think-tank has said.

(Advertisement)
    The Institute of Public Policy Research has suggested various ideas to make the UK more multicultural."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20071101/tuk-think-tank-says-downgrade-christmas-dba1618_1.html

"It emerged in 2006 that three out of four employers were not putting up Christmas decorations in the workplace for fear of offending staff of other cultures."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Can't we just be secular and end all this bullsh.it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Now, tbh, they could be using overt Political Correctness as an excuse not to waste money putting up garish sh*te right after Halloween.

I hope they put a limit on most Christmas muzak being played as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Now, tbh, they could be using overt Political Correctness as an excuse not to waste money putting up garish sh*te right after Halloween.

I hope they put a limit on most Christmas muzak being played as well.

Now that is a crime against humanity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

chris-miss tiiime, mistletoe and wiine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

"Happy Holidays" pisses me right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That's fairly nuts alright. I hope in time we don't follow the UK in the way they've gone about being multicultural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

What ? Christmas has something to do with Religion ?
    I thought it was the birth of Santa ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't mind the Christian overtones even though I'm not a believer myself. Sure it's the season to be merry.
    If an African shop wants to put Kwanza decorations up, fine, but don't remove the Jesus cribs.

It's not like Santa has anything to to with Jesus anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

a Government think-tank has said.

A government thinktank should bite my shiney metal ass.

biko wrote: »

?wtf? IS Santa not Jesus' dad? Or was that a nasty rumour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

biko wrote: »

OMG! they're like totally BFF's!!!

• Advertisement

azezil wrote: »
    OMG! they're like totally BFF's!!!

As Sarah Silverman says:

I hate to say it, Santa.
    But you're acting like a dick
    You should give presents to everyone that's good
    and not just to your personal clique.

If you bring me a toy to open Christmas morning
    I'll let you be my boyfriend all bearded fat and horny.
    Oh yeah. Oh Yeah.

What does Jesus have to do with you?
    You got as much to do with Jesus as you do with Scooby-Doo.
    What do you have to do with Jesus?
    You have as much to do with him as you do your mother's penis.
    Oh yeah.

Don't be a douche.
    What would Jesus do?
    He'd say give the jew girl toys.

Claus? Claus?
    Is that German?
    Santa Klaus. SANTA KLAUS! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thought we were due for these hoax "PC-ness gone mad" stories to be dragged up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Christmas has nothing to do with religion nowadays anyway, thank GOD!

robinph wrote: »
    Thought we were due for these hoax "PC-ness gone mad" stories to be dragged up again.

What's hoax about it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I was 'corrected' in New York one year for saying 'Happy Christmas' by someone who I can only assume wasn't Christian. Suffice to say I told them exactly where to go in no uncertain terms and in the most harsh, expletive way that I possibly could. Luckily enough I wasn't arrested. Season of good will and all that.

If you don't like Christian values or traditions, then please f**k off out of Ireland to another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 paddymorrison

But how do you "downgrade" a festival exactly? It would be just silly to treat Christmas the same as, I don't know, say Buddhist festivals. It's all about suplly and demand. How come Argos is not selling Jewish skullcap? It's discrimination!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Stekelly wrote: »
    ?wtf? IS Santa not Jesus' dad? Or was that a nasty rumour?

Dont be silly ... Sants IS Jesus.
    I thought everybody knew that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What's hoax about it ?
    I cannot find the story on Aunties site right now, but last year they basically went though the usuall set of PC-ness gone mad rumours as spread by the Daily Mail and similar 'quality' publications and concluded that they were all made up and greatly exagerated.

Here is their list of stories form their outraged readers from a couple of years ago. Clicky I expect you'll find any 'new' stories that you hear this year are just updated versions of the ones on that page re-written by a bored journalist on a slow news day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This PC malarky is nothing but a great big load of bullshít.
    It is a paradox by being intolerant of intolerance.
    Pure w@nk if you ask me!

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Pure w@nk if you ask me!

Yeah, it's just an excuse for complete a$$holes to annoy people under the guise of being 'caring and tolerant'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Pure w@nk if you ask me!

Don't be so intolerant of intolerance intolerance :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Laslo wrote: »
    If you don't like Christian values or traditions, then please f**k off out of Ireland to another country.

Er what?

I'm not a Christian, but I was born in Ireland. I'm as Irish as you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Laslo wrote: »
    I was 'corrected' in New York one year for saying 'Happy Christmas' by someone who I can only assume wasn't Christian. Suffice to say I told them exactly where to go in no uncertain terms and in the most harsh, expletive way that I possibly could. Luckily enough I wasn't arrested. Season of good will and all that.

But it's okay for you to go to someone else's country and ram your christian platitudes in peoples faces, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

tech77 wrote: »
    Don't be so intolerant of intolerance intolerance :p;)

BOOM!! (that was my head exploding).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. Like to see them try to downgrade Halloween... it not even being a christain thing will confuse the msulims, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm all for more national holidays I don't care which religion we use as an excuse to get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

Lmao ScumLord, good point, I like your way of thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Christmas isn't about religion, it's about materialistic longings and the birth of Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

my brothers ex was from Birmingham and she told me that they renamed christmas winterval and that any christian imagery had to be removed from shops and public places as it might offend other religions.

that's a load of crap, england is a christian country they should be allowed celebrate a traditional christian holiday. same as any other christian country
    if muslims, jews , hindus etc are offended by it, tough!

we don't stop them participating in ramadan, sukkot or diwali

• Advertisement

echter wrote: »
    my brothers ex was from Birmingham and she told me that they renamed christmas winterval and that any christian imagery had to be removed from shops and public places as it might offend other religions.

that's a load of crap, england is a christian country they should be allowed celebrate a traditional christian holiday. same as any other christian country
    if muslims, jews , hindus etc are offended by it, tough!

we don't stop them participating in ramadan, sukkot or diwali

Sounds like a long period of waiting :D

DesF wrote: »
    Er what?

I don't doubt for a second that you are. Although I doubt you've ever had a go at someone for saying 'Happy Christmas' instead of 'Happy Holidays' because it offended you. Nor are you planning on running a campaign of political correctness to try and erase Christian traditions to make them more 'society-friendly'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'm an atheist and I like christmas just fine. If you think the holiday is too religious these days, I'd have to wonder what dream world you're living in!

If on the other-hand you think the whole thing is too commercialized, then by all means do your part by buying less crap this year. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Who, exactly, is offended by all this? I have quite a few Muslim and jewish friends and aquaintances and not one of them is remotely bothered about Christmas, or Easter, or even St. Patricks day. Whatever happened to live & let live, FFS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

whose Sarah Silverman when shes at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

DesF wrote: »
    Er what?

Indeed

Ignorance from some people so shocking.

I bet half the people "outraged" here haven't even been to mass this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dragan wrote: »
    Christmas isn't about religion, it's about materialistic longings and the birth of Santa.

And turkeys. Don't forget the turkeys & their lovely giblets & gizzards.

Unless the pinko liberal tree-hugging PC lefties want us to eat tofu instead. In which case I will go as postal as a Sheriff Street Sorting Office worker on a Christmas Eve morning.

MooseJam wrote: »
    whose Sarah Silverman when shes at home

She's is still Sarah Silverman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ger_Hankey wrote: »
    Who, exactly, is offended by all this? I have quite a few Muslim and Jewish friends and aquaintances and not one of them is remotely bothered about Christmas, or Easter, or even St. Patricks day. Whatever happened to live & let live, FFS?
    At the risk of annoying Karoma, QFT!!

I have happily celebrated Haggadah (Passover) with some Jewish friends on several occasions, and found it an interesting and enjoyable experience ... and they are more than happy to drop over for a mince pie and a glass (or two!) of something hot at Christmas time.

I'm all for tolerance of other peoples traditions and beliefs, but there is such a thing as OTT PC-ness ... and what the very small but vocal UltraPC minority don't seem to realise is that their extreme views actually greatly damage the cause of multi-cultural tolerance which they claim to espouse. Tbh, I'm not sure that they would care that much ... such extremists are often far more about massaging their own personal egos than anything else.

"Live and let live" is a damn good philosophy as far as I'm concerned.

(LOL ... nice one, Biko!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

chris-miss tiiime, mistletoe and wiine...

Seemingly it should be 'Mistletoe and Whine'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

We have no problem moving Easter each year, but when St. Patrick's day is moved we dig in and refuse....

Anyone see the irony ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

We spend millions planning Paddy's day.
    We don't spend millions planning Easter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

You don't celebrate the "haggadah", you celebrate Passover. The Haggadah is the text that tells the story of the Exodus out of Egypt.

Anyway, I don't celebrate Christmas but gladly go along with work Christmas celebrations, as well as Hallow'een and any other craic that's to be had. Banning Christmas IS PC madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

Perhaps the origin of the phrase "Movable feast"

the parade on the 17th march 2008 isn't actually St. Patrick's day Parade

and in fact last Easter had a large amount of cash spent.

Nope ... sorry this is hypocrisy of the worst nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You don't celebrate the "haggadah", you celebrate Passover. The Haggadah is the text that tells the story of the Exodus out of Egypt.
    OK, I never claimed to be an expert on the Jewish religion, nor was such expertise relevant to the point I was making! And given that they invited me to come and celebrate Haggadah with them, I suppose I fell into the trap of assuming they knew what they were talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Christmas is christmas, simple as. If you don't believe in it, then don't celebrate it- but don't make everyone who does celebrate it have to keep it quiet.

Its nonsense, why can't people just be people? All religons promote love and understanding. Why make it ugly by trying to enforce changes that undermine the whole reason for the holiday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

trellheim wrote: »
    We have no problem moving Easter each year, but when St. Patrick's day is moved we dig in and refuse....

Anyone see the irony ?

Easter IS fixed! It's the first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the 21st March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Slow coach wrote: »
    Easter IS fixed! It's the first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the 21st March.

So thats why everyone goes mad binging on chocolate coz of the full moon, now that explains it all :D

Advertisement