Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gap in the licence types

Options
  • 01-11-2007 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Just noticed what seems to be a very strange gap in the licence system. (According to the rules of the road booklet)

cat B = Four-wheeled vehicles (e.g.cars/light vans) having a gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500 kg., with passenger accommodation for not more than 8 people, and capable of a speed of at least 100km/h.

cat C1 = Vehicles, (e.g. larger vans/light trucks) with passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons, having a gross vehicle weight of at least 4000 kg., but not exceeding 7,500 kg., and capable of a speed of at least 80km/h.

What sort of licence do you get for a 3,750 kg 2 axle vehicle which accomodates 7 or fewer people and is not a tractor? (I dunno, an APC/Bulletproofed Limo/Humvee maybe?)

I know this mustn't be a big problem in reality, but did nobody think this out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think it's a D1(minibus) license that you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hi Folks,
    Just noticed what seems to be a very strange gap in the licence system. (According to the rules of the road booklet)

cat B = Four-wheeled vehicles (e.g.cars/light vans) having a gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500 kg., with passenger accommodation for not more than 8 people, and capable of a speed of at least 100km/h.

cat C1 = Vehicles, (e.g. larger vans/light trucks) with passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons, having a gross vehicle weight of at least 4000 kg., but not exceeding 7,500 kg., and capable of a speed of at least 80km/h.

What sort of licence do you get for a 3,750 kg 2 axle vehicle which accomodates 7 or fewer people and is not a tractor? (I dunno, an APC/Bulletproofed Limo/Humvee maybe?)

I know this mustn't be a big problem in reality, but did nobody think this out?
    I'm sorry to spoil it for you daveharnett but I'm afraid you haven't stumbled across a huge loophole. :D

The criterion given in the Rules of the Road refers to the weight of vehicle you need to have in the respective categories for the purpose of sitting a driving test. It does not represent the weight necessary for the particular licences.

That information is given in Part 1, Section 5 of Statutory Instrument 352/99 - Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 1999

B = Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles or land tractors) having a design gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500kgs and having passenger accomodation for not more than 8 persons.

C1 = Vehicles in category C having a design gross vehicle weight not exceeding 7,500kgs.

The idea is to prevent people arriving for a test in a vehicle which barely makes it into the relevant category and would therefore be easier to drive. Some large US SUVs would weight in at just over 3.5 tonnes and therefore will require a C1 licence to drive on public roads but the owner will be required to do the C1 test in a larger, more representative vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

Stark wrote: »
    I think it's a D1(minibus) license that you're looking for.

Its definitely not D1, D1 is also limited to 3,500Kg

Advertisement