Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is choloclate dangerous to dogs?

Options
  • 01-11-2007 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I brought by dog for a walk around our usual spot, and aswell as being littered with rocket remains and the like there was some half-chewed chocolate (or atleast I think that's what it was :confused:) and the dog started eating it. I got it out of his mouth as quickly as possible but I want to know if this is something to worry about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes it is toxic...due to a chemical known as theo bromine. The darker the chocolate the more toxic it is.

I wouldnt be particularly worried in your case, unless it was a large amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A dog will survive a mars bar or something like that without any problems.

A whole block of dark baking chocolate on the other hand could have serious consequences

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning

Chocolate is something you certainly shouldn't give to your dog ...and so called "doggy chocolate" ...well that's just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

ah ok. it looked like a chewed moro bar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

peasant wrote: »

...and so called "doggy chocolate" ...well that's just stupid.

By this do you mean that it too is dangerous or just stupid to get special chocolate for your dog :confused:

I always thought that the chocolate buttons you bought in pet stores was ok for dogs.

to be precise...

I meant that it is stupid for dog treat manufactureres to be making "doggy chocolate" at all, mainly because it might give people the wrong idea that "human chocolate" is ok for dogs too.

On a secondary level ...yes, personally, I find the idea of giving your dog "chocolate" (doggy or otherwise") a bit silly.
    What's next?
    "Doggy cigarettes", "doggy pints", "doggy pizza" ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I recall being very worried last easter when My lindt bunny went missing next to some mysteriuosly chewed foil. That was the last I heard of it though and the dog is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

On a secondary level ...yes, personally, I find the idea of giving your dog "chocolate" (doggy or otherwise") a bit silly.
    What's next?

Well we give our dogs doggie biscuits so why is that not silly :confused: Most people give these instead of ones meant for humans.

Also if people realise there is special chocolate for dogs, it will make them think that there is a difference.

Though I agree there are a lot of people who think human chocolate is ok for dogs.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Well we give our dogs doggie biscuits so why is that not silly :confused: Most people give these instead of ones meant for humans.

Well ..to me the whole "culture" of treating dogs similar to how you would treat a human and the other "culture" of having to give "treats" to your dog for every little thing they do or don't do is a bit silly.

But that's two whole discussions for another day :D

Peasant, some of your fellow countrymen have invented doggy beer :D

www.beerfordogs.com (thats American, but I'm sure the Germans came up with the idea)

• Advertisement

Some beef or chicken stock added to the normal drinking water would surely be received with the same appreciation as "doggy beer" ...and it would cost a lot less. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

to be precise...

I meant that it is stupid for dog treat manufactureres to be making "doggy chocolate" at all, mainly because it might give people the wrong idea that "human chocolate" is ok for dogs too.

What's next?

Doggy style?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Dog chocolate is fine for dogs, in large enough quantities people chocolate can kill them, dark chocolate is the most dangerous. 1lb of dark is enough to kill a dog.

That being said, I don't think your dog is in any danger, you got it off him. Our dog has eaten small quantities of chocolate in the past (he tore open a bag of chocolate M&Ms we had in a bag of Birthday party supplies and scoffed about half of them a couple when he was about a year old) and he's still with us, he's gone deaf, blind and grey, but I don't think the chocolate caused that

Advertisement