Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a decent hunting dog....

• 01-11-2007 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Im in the market for a decent hunting dog, for duck and pheasant shooting...it wouldn't have to be the best thing on 4 legs, just something that will work well, listen and wont mind braving the elements..
    Any of you guys out there have any advice? i wouldnt mind getting to a few dog trails to see them in action but im not to sure when and where they are on, but i have a feeling that they are probably a close season pursuit..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

a friend of mine has a bunch of springers for sale at the minute, all bitches i think, all chipped and with papers etc.. you can pm me if you want me to pass on contact details. the parents can be seen too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

You would be hard-pressed to find a better breed than a Labrador for both of those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've only ever been out with setters so I can't comment on other types, but I've almost found the setters to be great for the job. We have a gordon setter which is the largest (or one of the largest) setters. If we were to get a new dog, we would probably get a smaller setter or a springer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

id go for labs also i love setters but there a very head strong dog
    and dont get me started on springers you would want roller skates to keep up with some of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Mac,

DONEGAL WORKING SPANIEL CLUB
    Mr D Porter, The Common Lifford, Co. Donegal
    Tel No. 074 9141306

FERMANAGH GUNDOG CLUB CLUB NO. 479
    Retrievers, Spaniels & Working Tests
    (FT Sec) Mr G Wilson, Snowhill, Lisbellaw, Co. Fermanagh, BT94 5FZ
    Tel No. 028 66 387182
    (Span Sec) Mr J Wilkinson, Ballyreagh, Tempo, Co. Fermanagh, BT94 3EH
    Tel No. 028 89 541473

ULSTER IRISH RED SETTER CLUB CLUB NO. 1293
    Pointers & Setters
    (Gen Sec) Miss C Calvert, 6 Liscabble Road, Newtownstewart, Co. Tyrone, BT78 4EF
    Tel No. 028 81 662821 Tel 2. 07710 435454,
    Email: cecalvert82@hotmail.com

ULSTER GOLDEN RETRIEVER CLUB CLUB NO. 1353
    Retrievers & Working Tests
    (FT Sec) Mr J Johnston, 43 Ballynargan Road, Stewartstown, Co. Tyrone, BT71 5NF
    Tel No. 028 86 736432

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Mac Tire,
    Any of the clubs will tell you when they are having a working trial or test.

Working Trials Club of Ireland
    Dublin
    Nigel Tate
    Ph. 053 9428956

CLONES RETRIEVER CLUB
    Mr M Corr, Tiernahinch, Clones, Co. Monaghan
    Tel No. 047 51602

MIDLAND RETRIEVER CLUB
    Mr J Gilleran, Circular Road, Roscommon
    Tel No. 0906 625280

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i bought a 5 month old llwyellin setter yesterday. i dont have much experience with them but i shot over her father for the weekend and was so impressed i had to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I have a good dog if its shoes,towels,tissues and food,basically anything of value thats lying about the house that your hunting:p

Advertisement