Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Unique to Dublin

Options
  • 01-11-2007 4:08pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think this would be a good idea for a thread.What do you think are Unique to Dublin...?the kind of things you miss when you go away and you just can not find outside Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

11001170.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

hehe obvious but funny none the less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its hard to describe but there's a light in Dublin that you dont get anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 theprodigals0n

The light of the spire?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Burdocks,scangers in pj's?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Scangers in pj's is very widespread in Dublin,and yes come to think of it I have not seen this anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

public transport that isn't just a local myth or legend told in stories by the fireside, shops that dont close at 5pm and actually being able to do stuff on Sundays . (unique to Dublin in relation to a lot of towns in Ireland)

I do only appreciate Dublin when I've been away for a few days. I get a warm fuzzy feeling as I get back to the city, can't explain it. Skangers in pyjamas aren't unique to Dublin by the way although they are a lot more plentiful. Theres nothing like a stay in drogheda to make you appreciate Dublin ;)

I like the mix of different nationalities in some city centre areas too. So many hawt women of all different shapes and sizes and colours. Tis great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Coddle. A dish designed specifically to make pork products look awful. Tasty though.

What about the penchent for giving niknames to statues and monuments - is that not a particularly Dublinesque thing?

Say 'Burger' or 'Thirty three' with a thick Dublin accent. Now that's got to be a unique thing.

Sadly skangers in PJs can be found elsewhere, I've witnessed it in Limerick myself, and have read of it in plenty of cities in the UK. Pity, that would be something unique we could be proud of.

Coddle is defiantly one for the list,I have never come across this out side Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

The Diesel smell and the permanent oil stains from a Dublin bus on Eden Quay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

Dub13 wrote: »
    Coddle is defiantly one for the list,I have never come across this out side Dublin.

I just had coddle.... and Dublin has a sense of humour I miss when I'm away!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

clown bag wrote: »
    public transport that isn't just a local myth or legend told in stories by the fireside . . .

PMSL at that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Dub13 wrote: »
    Scangers in pj's is very widespread in Dublin,and yes come to think of it I have not seen this anywhere else.

No that's nationwide...unfortunately. :(

Dublin has thursday night late shopping! :D

Another thing I have only seen in Dublin is pubs/clubs advertising 'Micky money' night.

What is that about 33,lots of english girls have asked me to say it,actually thirty three and a third.
    Don't know if it still happens, but owlones selling bangers out of the knickers on moor st would be fairly unique. The smell of the liffey on a hot day probably isn't unique,but I certainly know I'm in Dublin when I smell it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The throngs of junkies hanging around abbey st. I didn't think anyone actually ate coddle? What I miss most right now is our great old pubs like Mulligans and Bowes and the Stag's Head etc. And also the best pints of Guinness in the world that we serve. Dublin gave Guinness to the world, and culchies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

1. The traffic - miss that a lot when Im abroad. Sitting in my car looking around at the other Dublin dwellers having fun in theirs.
    2. Wearing my PJ's in town. Its just not the in thing to do in France.
    3.Getting sick in Temple Bar on Saturday night. They frown on that abroad.
    4. The spire - its cool.
    5. The smell of sewage in D4 on a hot day - that just cant be replicated anywhere.
    6. Living in a shoe box that costs more than a mansion in Longford ;)
    7. The smell of the Liffey on a hot day combined with the smell of urine from the alley ways off O Connell Street.
    8. Having a fag at the back of the upper deck of the bus.
    9. Going on a nice sea side walk by the coast and getting dog pooh on my slippers/long PJ trousers.
    10. Trying to squeeze into the Luas before the door closes on me and dodging the ticket inspectors.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Degsy wrote: »
    Its hard to describe but there's a light in Dublin that you dont get anywhere else.

i have to agree, when the sunsets around spring and autumn time, the city gets this amazing orange/red glow, i have never seen this anywhere else in the world. it is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The sense of humour for definite.

The self deprecating humour, and the straight faced piss taking.

Jaysis, when I lived in Australia, they just didn't get the piss taking. Confused looks all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Diesel "Ireland" with their owns stores in places like Suffolk St and gullible folk thinking it's the Italian stuff. Unfortunately the crap stuff is now sold all over Ireland so have to focus on the fact that there's "own brand" shops selling it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

A proper battered burger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

A good stew - the way your granny's mammy made it :D

traceybere wrote: »
    A good stew - the way your granny's mammy made it :D
    Yes,one you make a sambo with.

Speaking of stew,back when I was growing up in the 80s before this celtic tiger lark we used to get some strange things in our stew.Stuff like burgers etc anything that was around the house got put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

dubtom wrote: »
    Yes,one you make a sambo with.

I'm hungry now..

Advertisement