Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash Repair (Different case!)

Options
  • 01-11-2007 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

To cut a long story short I nicked a guys (~02 Primera) bumper last Tuesday.

Stupidly I decided to do the right thing and eventually found him and gave him my contact details.

There was a few really small scratches no more than a few inches long all contained in an area no larger than a normal saucer (I have a photo i'll try to post later today). I am confident he wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't said anything.

He called me today and quoted me €250 as he said the bumper had to be removed and a spot about the wheel arch had to be touched up as well.

This seemed like a lot of money to me for such a small area of repair, is it reasonable? Even in the right ball park or is he trying to take me for a ride? As i'm a young male driver i'd like to keep insurance out of this too.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

€250 sounds reasonable enough to have a panel stripped and sprayed. Regardless of the size of the affected area the whole panel will need to be sprayed.

Its unfortunate, but kodos for accepting responsbility and it will make you more careful in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Stupidly I decided to do the right thing and eventually found him and gave him my contact details.

It wasn't stupid. You did the right thing. Bravo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

€250 actually seems very reasonable. I got a very small scratch in a bumper done for about that cost last year. Whether its a small mark or a big one, the same level of work is involved, i.e. prep, masking, and in all likelihood the entire bumper needs to be resprayed regardless.
    Given that its a 5 yr old Primera, its not likely to be a much-loved-by-its-owner type of car, but for all you know it could be his pride and joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

deman wrote: »
    It wasn't stupid. You did the right thing. Bravo!

It's true- keep karma on your side.

€250 is about right for a bumper- they are more involved than a panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I think there's a lot of people speaking from experience here! I'm guessing it takes the same amount of work to repair an 07 as a 97.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

thats expensive imo
    car craft do panels for alot cheaper the last time i contacted them.

http://www.carcraft.ie/example.html

did you cause the damage on the wing or is he just getting this done while he has the chance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

its a pretty standard price you got there, you will do well to better it.,
    as for carcraft, i wouldnt use them, have seen some bad quality work done there.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Forget car-craft, or any cheap options... The guy can go anywhere he wants and if you don't pay up he'll just send the bill to your insurance company and they'll pay out. Not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

The panel is the cheap bit - its the prepping and painting that costs money.

250 sounds reasonable on the scale of things, I'd pay up & take my medicine.

Advertisement