Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Regulation of Psychotherapists?

• 01-11-2007 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello. I am a Journalism MA student researching for a radio project on psychotherapy in Ireland. There seems to be a lot of people working as counsellors and psychotherapists out there. Are they all adequately regulated? Are there many cowboys in the industry?

If anyone can help me with this, or has any other issues to offer information on, I'd be very glad of the assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Ah come on..........you mean you haven't read about the scandal at Roebuck yet? Or the other counsellor a few years ago who took financial advantage of a client with alcohol problems?
    Contact: IACP, Council for Psychotherapy in Ireland, the Pastoral Counselling people for a start. There are a zillion associations, and I belong to one myself (the fact that I made up my own associatiion Irish Institute for Psychos and am the only member, and therefore had to accredit myself is irrelevant.) Look at England in which their major counselling organisation accredited Bernard Manning (?) and ended up with egg on their faces.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

With respect to psychologists, some of whom practice psychotherapy, the Psychological Society of Ireland has been considering the issue of statutory regulation for several years. They may be able to provide you with more information on their sector at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Unfortunately, as standardised regulation has been in the pipelines for a few years, but no actual action, there are cowboys in this industry. Unfortunately there will always be people willing to take advantage of vulnerable people. Check out www.iacp.ie or www.irish-couselling.ie, also IAHIP are another reputable organisation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Drexler

Thanks for the info. I got in touch with some of those people.

There was a report in the Independent a couple of weeks ago saying that the number of anti-anxiety drugs prescriptions for medical card holders was hitting the one million mark, and that because there is often a lack of adequate counselling facilities in an area, the doctor feels they have no choice but to write a prescription instead. Does anyone know about this, and whether it happens a lot with teenagers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Drexler - i'm a bit concerned that your idea of journalistic research is asking people for "facts" on an internet message board!

Ring the Irish Medical Council and speak to a PR there. PR people are there to help journalists. Or, you could call some GP's (or their association) for quotes.

Yes, anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs are over prescribed in this country. Unless you're prepared to go to a private clinic you can expect to wait six months for an appointment with a therapist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement