Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym in Waterford City.

Options
  • 01-11-2007 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

What would be the best gym in Waterford? The WIT one is not too bad, but very small, i'm looking for something better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭teckno

The new Kingfisher leisure centre in the rsc due to open the end of November. Gym is huge

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Any of the hotel leisure centre gyms do the trick? Woodlands, Tower, Faithlegg? All seem to be roughly the same price range (think it's around 560 pa or so last time I enquired) for membership. Added bonus of swimming pool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The Kingfisher gym has great rates at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

stay away from the tower, there's always something broken down, ie jacuzzi, steam room, even the drinking fountains for fux ache. and a couldn't give a **** attitude from management doesn't help matters.
    i know a couple of folks had a look around the new kingfisher gym and were well impressed, although its open to the public so not just a members only set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Is the Kingfisher Club out at the Waterford Glass Sports Centre on the Cork Rd.??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

No its in the new Kilbarry out on the tramore road...just passed the entrance to superquinn

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

i had the pleasure of a tour of the new king fisher club gym in the last week or so, the place is gonna be the business, the gym is 4 times the size of any gym in waterford city- plazma tv's all round with the option to plug ur headphones into the treadmill that ur on, and 24 treadmills at that, the pool is 25 metres long, they also have a hydro pool/sauna/steam room, the gym is completly private, the pool will be open to the publin 5 hours of the day and the place will be open from 6am to 10pm.
    a good few cross trainers as well, i cant remember how many.
    a warm up area, free weight's area.
    full size astroturf pitch like the one in ballinakill
    tennis courts, possibly 2 of em , i cant remember, indoor soccer facilities which are about 3 times the size of ur average 5 a side hall.
    the going rate for signing up at the moment is 540 euros which i think is going up to 750ish sometime within the next few days.
    i signed up myself yesterday, bit of a hit in the pocket at this time of the year with christmas and all on the way, but from what ive seen its gonna be worth it.

they also have those mud bath thingies for the girlies at reduced rates for members,
    if any of you guys need a contact no. for the rep down there let me know and ill post it for ye.

ok guys, i just realised from reading another thread that i cant post a phone number publicly for whatever reason, beats me, so if anyone wants it, pm me and i will give it to you, im sure that will be ok with the moderators ??

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

Junkster, do you know if they do 6 monthly membership rates? Going to be in Waterford for six months starting in Jan and on the lookout for a decent gym.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i feel i have to post an alternative now, the Waterford Weightlifting Club has a great gym in the northern extension of the industrial estate. good atmosphere there too and even if its mainly cardio you wanna do then your sorted as those machines get little use by most of the man mountains there! you can get all the free advice you want on body building there too as an added bonus for anybody interested in that!! and no i dont work there, but i can put anybody in touch with the right people if interested. the membership is i think 200 pa... ill check it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

kryogen wrote: »
    i feel i have to post an alternative now, the Waterford Weightlifting Club has a great gym in the northern extension of the industrial estate. good atmosphere there too and even if its mainly cardio you wanna do then your sorted as those machines get little use by most of the man mountains there! you can get all the free advice you want on body building there too as an added bonus for anybody interested in that!! and no i dont work there, but i can put anybody in touch with the right people if interested. the membership is i think 200 pa... ill check it out

No one works there. Its a club not a business. Its basically owned by the members, and yes, as far as gyms goes it simply has to be one of the best in Ireland. Hercs in Dublin possibly shades it, but for sheer training work ethic and intensity there is only one choice. Limited membership I think though, because its basically at full capacity.

hi mrluke
    sorry for the slow reply, i havent been on 4 a while. as far as i know they are only offering 12mth memberships at the moment, best thing you can do is call in and find out or give them a call , if u want the no. pm me as i cant post it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This might help people

http://www.kingfisherclub.com/ :)
    Gives all the info

forbesii wrote: »
    No one works there. Its a club not a business. Its basically owned by the members, and yes, as far as gyms goes it simply has to be one of the best in Ireland. Hercs in Dublin possibly shades it, but for sheer training work ethic and intensity there is only one choice. Limited membership I think though, because its basically at full capacity.

i didnt say anybody worked there! i said i didnt, and i could put people in touch with the right people. it is a limited membership yes, but thats why i said to go through me!! :) great gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

kryogen,

I'm fascinated by that gym - it looks the business but is it open to the general public joining?

The blokes I saw in there looked like professional wrestlers. I have started a bit of weight lifting in the last year and I love it (though I'm no spring chicken) - can novices join the gym and is there any coaching available? What are the opening times ?

and no i dont work there,

This is what I meant. NOBODY works there. You get me now?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

Thanks for the info.

I´ll prob check out both Kingfisher and the one on the Northern Extension when I get back to Waterford in Jan. I`m kinda stuck since I dont drive and I`ll only be there for 6 months. So I dont want to be forking out for a 12month membership or going to a gym that is hassle to get to/from

I was a member in the Tower and my God will I never return. It has to be the laziest run gym I have ever seen. Tiny, too busy at times, very little advice from staff etc. Woodlands is too far out of town for me, WIT I might go back to, its just they pretty much leave you to yourself out there so if you want to change a program they wont give u any help.

I guess I am after a well run gym where I can get plenty of advice.

Anybody know what the Crystal is like these days?

not sure how well the cyrstal gym is run but when i went there b4, its a pay as you train place and you can get like 10 sessions for a reduced rate so that kinda deal might suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

anyone know about the gym in tycor?

forbesii wrote: »
    This is what I meant. NOBODY works there. You get me now?

why did u quote me again from the original reply? i already answered your response, i said that i didnt say anybody worked there, not just me, nobody!
    we are saying the same thing so whats the sense in arguing over it?? insomnia is doing strange things to me lol

anyways,aoa321, pm me and ill give you details, yes, its open to members of the public and i can arrange for somebody to spot you and help you out there i suppose, to the OP, the weightlifting club will give you a reduced price as the calender year there is almost half way through, i think it starts in june, not exact on it though so i could be out by a month either way,

like i said, anybody interested or wants more info on it then pm me cause i dont check this much

• Advertisement

why did u quote me again from the original reply? i already answered your response, i said that i didnt say anybody worked there, not just me, nobody!
    we are saying the same thing so whats the sense in arguing over it?? insomnia is doing strange things to me lol

anyways,aoa321, pm me and ill give you details, yes, its open to members of the public and i can arrange for somebody to spot you and help you out there i suppose, to the OP, the weightlifting club will give you a reduced price as the calender year there is almost half way through, i think it starts in june, not exact on it though so i could be out by a month either way,

like i said, anybody interested or wants more info on it then pm me cause i dont check this much

unfortunately tone of voice just isnt coming across. lets just leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭dermoto

So who else has joined this gym? I was going to waterford crystal, just after joining up with kingfisher. supposed to be opening this friday, and i cant wait. Ive been getting fairly lazy with my training last few months, cant wait to get back into it properly. Cant beat that feeling after spending an hour lifting weights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cutback

I spoke to Kingfisher today and they're now not opening this Friday, they said it'll be next Friday, something to do with building contracters not being ready.

cutback wrote: »
    I spoke to Kingfisher today and they're now not opening this Friday, they said it'll be next Friday, something to do with building contracters not being ready.
    ah i knew that was going to happen. Not massively bothered, i have 12 visits left on my waterford crystal card that'll just go to waste as soon as kingfisher opens,cos im aready signed up.

New cable flys in waterford crystal are deadly though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 paddy1mac

i joined the kingfisher club and have to say it is very good but it does get packed in the evening but i'm sure this will level off

the one gripe i have is that when i joined i asked the guide what the minimum age level was for children to be allowed unattended in the pool was and he told me it was 7 which was great as my 9 yr old could go to the pool with his friend while i went to the gym so i joined him up.

on my 1st day at the club i went with my son only to be told that the minimum age had been changed to 12 - needless to say he was devastated - especially when my son pointed out that on the wall of the pool was a sign saying that the minimum age was 7!

we should have been informed of this change

i also think that they have over subscribed and that is the cause of the overcrowding

it should also be noted that this club is being run by a private company leasing it from the city council - so their main concern will be to make money and this may compromise thing later

i also found that some of the instructors did not fully understand how the machines worked or the proper techniques for using them which is worrying

Yeah, its deadly alright, but theres a few things they better fix up soon or ill be complaining. One of the olympic bars is after disappearing too, so one of the benches is useless, and a lot of the instructors dont really know their stuff. They told one of the lads this evening he was "making it hard for himself" by the way he was doing chinups! Of course he was making it hard for himself, if he makes it easy, whats the point in doing it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Kingfisher sounds interesting. Need to get to the gym myself. Judo twice a week isn't enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gummage

The kingfisher is basically a money making machine with a capacity for 5000 members! Add to this it has public access' so imagine paying upwards of €700 for membership to train alongside some of the public access clowns from the crystal! It might have all the jazz and pazazz but when the dust settles will it be all it's cracked up to be?

The other gyms in town are all much smaller' however, how many treadmills do you actually need to get fit? TV's built into treadmills is just another gimmick! When I train, I train! I dont go to the gym to watch Corrie! My criteria for joining a gym are based on Equipment, Cleanliness, Privacy and Value for money and for those reasons I would choose the Tower first' for general fitness and swimming (their pool is spotless!) and the Waterford Weight Training Club second' for serious lifting (€200 pa, you can't beat that)

PS I have used all the facilities in town over the years so I know what I am talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

So you think people that dont join gyms and use them on a pay as you go basis are "public access clowns" , whats wrong with buying a card and using it when you want to instead of forkng out upwards of 500 euro to go around telling people "oh I"m in the tower/woodlands I dont go where the common people go " as you say you've used all the local facilities you should well know that wherever you go to train theres going to be posers , so get off your high horse and dont be painting everyone with the same brush .

• Advertisement

gummage wrote: »
    The kingfisher is basically a money making machine with a capacity for 5000 members! Add to this it has public access' so imagine paying upwards of €700 for membership to train alongside some of the public access clowns from the crystal! It might have all the jazz and pazazz but when the dust settles will it be all it's cracked up to be?

The other gyms in town are all much smaller' however, how many treadmills do you actually need to get fit? TV's built into treadmills is just another gimmick! When I train, I train! I dont go to the gym to watch Corrie! My criteria for joining a gym are based on Equipment, Cleanliness, Privacy and Value for money and for those reasons I would choose the Tower first' for general fitness and swimming (their pool is spotless!) and the Waterford Weight Training Club second' for serious lifting (€200 pa, you can't beat that)

PS I have used all the facilities in town over the years so I know what I am talking about

Jesus you sound like an absolute p***k. "public access clowns" "serious lifting". wtf? are you taking the pi** or are you actually always like that? I think i speak for everyone in this thread when i say we'd prefer if you werent in our conversation.

Advertisement