Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym in Waterford City.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

crazyfork wrote: »
    quick update on the steam room situation, whole thermal suite was replaced last week so ive been told there wont be any more problems with it and that showers are next on the agenda.
    There is a shared changing room between the male and female changing rooms that I use with my son, its only small but it keeps the kids out of the wrong changing room :).
    Place is under new management so hopefully now things will start to get done. Better late than never!
    have to say I love it!:D
    Thanks for the update! I wish other people would be as thoughful as you and use the shared changing room when they have young kids!

Great news that those goddamn showers are getting fixed too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Thanks for the update! I wish other people would be as thoughful as you and use the shared changing room when they have young kids!

Great news that those goddamn showers are getting fixed too!

Ya I mean what the hell is wrong with people, The sauna and steam are a good bit better then they where anyway. Like you said shower situation needs to be addressed! apart from that I couldn't really fault the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

I am currently in the kingfisher, I am thinking of changing to days hotel gym when my membership expires in june, whats the weights selection like and what are opening hours,costs,can you pay by direct debit,and how busy does it get?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

I'm in the Kingfisher myself, think its great.
    Have been told that Spirit is nowhere near as good.
    Small gym with only 1 bench which is the one that helps ya.

Although, afaik it is cheaper for membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭FV-Emperor

Hi all lets get the ball rolling again since the previous posts are a bit dated, I'm a student looking to join a gym and am currently shopping around for the one that best suits my needs, which is:
    1)Close enough to railway square/pole berry area( walking distance)

2) Good weights section that would be adequate for a bodybuilder

3)Overall value of the membership as in, I don't mind paying a bit if I get a good exercise plan and expertise etc.

I've looked wither in person or online at Kingfisher, The towers leisure centre, spirit leisure centre (days), Wits Gym
    Does anyone have any knowledge on the membership package that weightlifting club in the industrial estate offers?

I'll say I'm leaning toward Tower hotel, because of its proximity but I'm against the small gym room and that it only has a small gym section, can people with experience of gyms give me thir advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Afaik the weightlifting one is very cheap, like €150-200 per year.

Also, Carl, one of the trainers from Kingfisher is supposedly starting his own one in the Jute factory soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

WWTC is e200 a year with a e120 joining fee. Gym year starts from next month. You wont get any workout programs as theres no trainers/instructors

its the best gym around for bodybuilding, not so good on the cardio front

but its not very close to railway square, and its not really on a bus route afaik

I'd say the tower is gone quiet enough with all the other gyms around, you might get a good deal on membership

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

anybdoy know what the educogym on the quay is like.they guarantee bout 2 stone weight loss in six weeks anybody know someone that used their programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

i think theres been loads of threads in the fitness forum about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭FV-Emperor

Tower though really has a small gym with only free weight dumbells, no barbells and its kinda dark, as in no natural light.

Thing about educo is they seem to give out dodgy advice, one person said he was told to cut down on drinking water. But if you want to lose some weight, thats the market they target, see if you can get a free session or something there, worth trying (especially if your going to dish out a hefty membership fee) before buying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I joined Kingfisher a few weeks ago, but now i cant go as the job has changed... anyone want to buy me out?!!

I have it up on adverts.. see below.

http://www.adverts.ie/326940/other-sports-and-fitness/kingfisher-gymwaterford-membership

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Butternutz1

Hi I have replied on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mouthforwar93

anyone know what would be the best choice of gym in terms bodybuilding? Gym with heavy dumbbells squat rack, place to deadlift, olympic bars??

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

anyone know what would be the best choice of gym in terms bodybuilding? Gym with heavy dumbbells squat rack, place to deadlift, olympic bars??

Waterford Weight Training Club up in the Northern Extension Industrial Estate (it's the last left before the sorting office).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

goldstone have an excellent olypmic standard free weights area, well worth the look, check em out on facebook there,s pic of the equipment on there, just joined yesterday meself and would big into weight lifting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

goldstone have an excellent olypmic standard free weights area, well worth the look, check em out on facebook there,s pic of the equipment on there, just joined yesterday meself and would big into weight lifting

what do you mean olympic standard? is there a platform for olympic lifting?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Deisedarren

Waterford crystal had a good range of Free weights and Room to deadlift too, They have a Bar lift too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

olympic standard are big free weights that done use cables to assist in lifting the weights like the usuall equipment that you would see in the average gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Dan133269 wrote: »
    what do you mean olympic standard? is there a platform for olympic lifting?

theres no platform but about 5 oly bars and a heap of weights. and a squat rack. i think they are getting a platform or mats or somethin soon

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Anyone know what the tycor gym is like? Very cheap to join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Anyone know what the tycor gym is like? Very cheap to join.

It closed down after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Waterford crystal had a good range of Free weights and Room to deadlift too, They have a Bar lift too,

what's a bar lift?

On the subject, is there actually anywhere in Waterford to do olympic weightlifting? Not that I'm interested, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

Dan133269 wrote: »
    what's a bar lift?

On the subject, is there actually anywhere in Waterford to do olympic weightlifting? Not that I'm interested, just curious.

No as far as i know if i remember right theres a place in wexford town that teachs it and maybe a club in cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Are there any swimming pools in Waterford City that are pay as you go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Are there any swimming pools in Waterford City that are pay as you go?

The Waterford Crystal is as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

Just joined the Kingfisher today for €399 pretty happy with the price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ upfront is it? That's not bad at all to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

ziedth wrote: »
    ^ upfront is it? That's not bad at all to be honest.

Yeah its €399 upfront for one person,and its €520 on direct debit you pay €135 upfront then €35 over the remaining months,it is a good price,ill be calling in sometime over the weekend to have a look myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Are you a student 2Bv¬2B?

When I joined it was 400 upfront for student. 500 upfront when not a student and 600 over the year when not a studnet

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

dazftw wrote: »
    Are you a student 2Bv¬2B?

When I joined it was 400 upfront for student. 500 upfront when not a student and 600 over the year when not a studnet

Sorry, yes I am a student, and yes upfront

Advertisement