Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some phrases and essentials

Options
  • 01-11-2007 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hello - Cześć

Hey - Hej

Good Morning/afternoon - Dzień Dobry

Good Evening
    - Dobry Wieczór

Whats up - Co tam słychać / Jak Leci

Everythings ok - Wszystko w porządku

Nothing new - Nic Nowego

How are you feeling - Jak się czujesz

Kochanie - Darling

Skarbie - "

Miśiu - Teddy Bear / Honey Bear(Thanks Ned)

What are you doing today - Co robisz dzisiaj

What time is it - Ktora Godzina

Half - Poł

Whats your name - Jak masz na imię

How old are you
    - Ile masz lat

I am 24 years old - Mam 24 lat. (Lit. I have 24 years)

Pleased to meet you - Miło mi

Ok so bye for now
    - No to na razie cześć (not a direct translation but in english that is how we'd say it)

Bye bye - Papa

Goodbye - Do Widzenia

Bye(slang) - Narka

Hope that was informative for you all, take care and Dobranoc(Goodnight)

- Trev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Thanks....very useful...only potential aid in future might be an accompanying phonetics!....asking a lot I know...but am learning the phonetics before the spelling !.....I can learn the spelling later...but I would find it very hard to...no impossible to accurately relearn bad phonetics!....

will print off
    Thanks
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

And Filan its time for Phonetics -

Hello - Cześć

Hey - Hej

Good Morning/afternoon - Dzień Dobry - Jen Do bra

Good Evening - Dobry Wieczór - Do bray veeaychur

Whats up - Co tam słychać / Jak Leci - yak lay chee

Everythings ok - Wszystko w porządku - fshistko porzh ont ku

Nothing new - Nic Nowego - Neets nov-a-go

How are you feeling - Jak się czujesz - yak shim chew-yesh

Kochanie - Darling - co han ee ya

Skarbie - " Shkarbia

Miśiu - Teddy Bear / Honey Bear(Thanks Ned) - Meeshu

What are you doing today - Co robisz dzisiaj - tso robeesh Jee shy

What time is it - Ktora Godzina - k-tura go-jeena

Half - Poł - Poo

Whats your name - Jak masz na imię - yak mash na imya

How old are you - Ile masz lat - ee la mash lat

I am 24 years old - Mam 24 lat. (Lit. I have 24 years)mam .. lat

Pleased to meet you - Miło mi - me whoa me

Ok so bye for now - No to na razie cześć (not a direct translation but in english that is how we'd say it) - No to na razha chesht

Bye bye - Papa - papa

Goodbye - Do Widzenia - Dough veet zenia

Bye(slang) - Narka - Narka

Obviously I'm Irish and I found it really hard in the beginning, but the key to reading polish is mastering the alphabet then you can pronounce anything. Get a Polish Book with CD from Waterstones or something. If theres any topics you want help on, let me know. Hope I was of some help :)

Heres a link to learn the phonetics of the alphabet, you may want to enlarge it before you print as it looked small on the website:

http://www.phespirit.info/alphabet/polish.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Granty2007

Great help for Irish learning Polish....and that is now 12% of the country (500,000)....think we should organise polish classes...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

You know Granty that I was thinking to organise a Polish study group after Christmas. I'm in Poland until early January but when I get back I'll definitely try to sort that out as there seems to be alot of people visiting the Polski forum and the interest would definitely be there.

In the meantime I had the notion to make an online class here in the forum, like someone pick a topic and I can tell you what it is I know in Polish or others could help whom are more advanced.

- Trevor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

trevorku wrote: »
    You know Granty that I was thinking to organise a Polish study group after Christmas. I'm in Poland until early January but when I get back I'll definitely try to sort that out as there seems to be alot of people visiting the Polski forum and the interest would definitely be there.

In the meantime I had the notion to make an online class here in the forum, like someone pick a topic and I can tell you what it is I know in Polish or others could help whom are more advanced.

- Trevor

excellent idea trevor i like the sound of it

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Great list of phrases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kit

To learn Polish/or give phonetics you you must get your understanding of and accomodate for non speakers for the different alphabetical sounds, the double consonants, and also the changes with regular consonants when next to some vowels, and softening of some consonants (Pope syndrome).

When practicing these, put the emphasis on the second last syllable, unless words are inflected. You really need to be taught by a native speaker.

Just to clarify phoentics etc.....

Hi - Cześć - pronounced cheshch (ch, as in church)

Hey - Hej - pronounced Hey

Hey - Ahoj - pronounced Ahoy
    All the above are totally informal and for friends....not elders, colleagues, or new aquaintances.

Formal/Universal
    Good day - Dzień Dobry - pronounced Gen Do-bra - G as in George, not J like Jeff)

Good Evening - Dobry Wieczór - pronounced Do-bri vee-ay-ch-oor ('i' in 'bri' section sounds like i in 'it'), say last word quickly.

How are things? - Co słychać? - pronounced Tso swee-hatch?
    How are things? - Jak leci? - pronounced Yak lay-chee?
    How are you? - Jak się masz? - pronounced Yak sh-en (en, as in french sound vowel sound in 'vin', n not said) mash?

Everythings ok/all in order - Wszystko w porządku - pronounced fshistko po-je-ond-ku (je sound is like that in french, j'adore)

Nothing new - Nic Nowego - pronounced Neets nov-ay-go

How are you feeling? - Jak się czujesz? - pronounced yak sh-en (en, as in french sound vowel sound in 'vin', n not said) chew-yesh

Kochanie - Darling - pronounced Ko-han-ye, can say to boy or girl

Skarbie - Treasure - pronounced Skarb-ye

Miśiu/Miśek - Teddy Bear / Honey Bear - pronounced Meeshu/Meeshek

What are you doing today? - Co robisz dzisiaj - pronounced, Tso robeesh Gee-shy (G as in George, not J as in Jeff)

What time is it? - Która godzina - pronounced k-toora go-geena (as above with G, not J)

Half - Poł - Poo, saying faster than we do in English, its a short sound.

Whats your name? - Jak masz na imię? - pronounced yak mash na imy-en (en, as in french sound vowel sound in 'vin', n not said)

How old are you? - Ile masz lat? - pronounced ee-lay mash lat

I am 24 years old - Mam dwadzieścia cztery lata - pronounced mam d-wa-gesh-chye ch-tery lata. Again, G as in george.

Pleased to meet you - Miło mi - pronounced mee-wo mee

Ok, so bye for now - No to na razie cześć - pronounced No to (like 'toe' - not like english 'to') na raz-ye cheshch (ch, as in church)

Bye bye - Papa - papa (totally informal, for close friends only)

Goodbye - Do Widzenia - Do veed zenya, formal/universal

Bye is also - Cześć - cheshch (ch, as in church) - for friends only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Could someone post a phonetic for the polish for 3 plz, i know it sounds similar to the english, something like chruh? I'm having difficulty with this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

sd123 wrote: »
    Could someone post a phonetic for the polish for 3 plz, i know it sounds similar to the english, something like chruh? I'm having difficulty with this one!

/tchi/ is close enough with the i as in sit although the rz sound in the word is similar the s in measure and pretty hard to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ak_ka

Polish 'three' spells 'trzy'
    It's quite hard to pronounce for non polish speakers, as this one despite of being very commonly used, tends to be mispronounced by poles themselves, but it's something like saying 'tchi' or 'tshe' anyways. Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mareczku

what i find most amazing about polish is its ability to throw so many consonances together and still expect us to pronounce them like vioin in polish is skrzypce, i have been learning for a while am really enjoy it but it love of labour

M

Advertisement