Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice needed

Options
  • 01-11-2007 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi, posted a thread here not so long ago about a replacement fuel pump for a rover 25, anyway after having the pump fitted, the fuel still isnt reaching the engine..it's getting to about the fuel filter...but not to the engine. My mechanic gave up on it and said its more trouble than what its worth. Now I have 2 questions for you guys, any ideas on what the problem could be and does anyone know a mechanic in cork who deals with rovers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Is the fuel filter blocked? If so, a new one only costs a few euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Is the fuel filter blocked? If so, a new one only costs a few euros.
    Thanks for the info :) is there anyway for sure to find out if it is the filter? I've spent so much on it in the last few weeks and i dont want to be forking out more when that might not fix the prob and all the trouble i had to go to to get the fuel pump...dont wanna do that again :eek:

Take out the filter and inspected it for gunk on both ends. Try putting it up on its end and drain some petrol in the top and see if any comes through to the outlet.

Not sure how your fuel pump is operated, I think they are generally electrically driven, if so, is the pump getting sufficient voltage to drive the pump. Broken cables may lead to shorts.

Its a sure pain forking out for part after part allright.

Thanks again for the advice :)
    Yeah the pump is electrically driven, the pump is operating...well its making a humming noise...would it do this if there was a short somewhere? And forgive my stupidity here...but are the wires visible without pulling anything off the car? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

OP, any decent mechanic will sort this out, its not rocket science, sounds like your last one did you a favour by giving up. Start at the pump and work your way forward until the flow stops/degrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

If the pump is worn mechanically the motor in it will still run, but it mightn't supply the pressure required to overcome the fuel filter. Maybe a new filter would help - they're not that expensive at all and you can probably do it yourself (though I don't know where they are in a Rover).

Guys thanks very much for the advice, you have no idea how much I appreciate it!
    I have one last question, anybody know any reasonable mechanic in the cork that won't rip me off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

try the forums on mg-rover.org. There are some very knowledgable guys on that forum including independent rover mechanics.

I had the car towed home tonight and while I was being towed I put it in fifth to get the brake fluid circulating and the car started, there was a small bit of coughing from the engine, went away after leaving the car running for about 10 min. The car started normally then for a while, but now its gone back to not starting atall. Any ideas?

Thanks for the link Mailman, have yet to get a response from them :)

Actually Owen, just to back track for a second, are you sure the fuel isnt reaching the engine. If so, how? Just in case we are looking at the wrong thing. Im just thinking that the mechanic may have giving you a funky theory based on a hunch. Its not unheard off to hear stories of mechanics replacing parts that are no the root cause of the problem.

Im getting into unknown territory here on this, but if it is the problem, I wonder if it would be possible to disconnect the fuel rail from the connections on the engine block & at the fuel filter and try and blow using compressed air or your breath, or anything into the fuel line the after the fuel filter, to see if there is a block in the pipes after the fuel filter.

Im not sure about the way you fuel pump is wired up, but a DVM should give a voltage value versus a required voltage value for the pump in the manufacturers manual. A major short would blow a fuse but the fact that you hear the pump running suggests its probably okay.

As mentioned, a 2nd mechanics opinion is probably the fastest way to the root cause.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Actually Owen, just to back track for a second, are you sure the fuel isnt reaching the engine. If so, how? Just in case we are looking at the wrong thing. Im just thinking that the mechanic may have giving you a funky theory based on a hunch. Its not unheard off to hear stories of mechanics replacing parts that are no the root cause of the problem.

Im getting to unknown territory here on this, but it is the problem, I wonder if it would be possible to disconnect the fuel rail from the connections on the engine block and try and blow using compressed air or your breath, or anything into the ful line the after the fuel filter, to see if there is a block in the pipes after the fuel filter.

Im not sure about the way you fuel pump is wired up, but a DVM should give a voltage value versus a required voltage value for the pump in the manufacturers manual. A major short would blow a fuse but the fact that you hear the pump running suggests its probably okay.

As mentioned, a 2nd mechanics opinion is probably the fastest way to the root cause.

Good luck!
    My mechanic checked the spark plugs to see if they were wet, they were dry. He said that means the fuel isn't reaching the engine. I don't know all that much about cars so I don't really know if or how that mattered?

I was just thinking about that. Looks like we are in the right ball park then. The mechanics should be also able to run a diagnostics to see if the fuel injectors are playing up. I guess from you post that all spark plugs were dry, so it would suggests it something upstream is at fault. i.e Unlikely all injectors fail at the same time although they could be clogged? If so it shouldnt be a big job to take them out and inspect. Also possible, the electrical power to open the injector valves may not be connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Eoin087 wrote: »
    Hi, posted a thread here not so long ago about a replacement fuel pump for a rover 25, anyway after having the pump fitted, the fuel still isnt reaching the engine..

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

How old is the car, maybe this is the cause

"Fuel pump shutoff devices turn off gas flow in the event of a collision for the purpose of preventing gasoline fires.
    !"

Did happen in my crappy Daewoo, no petrol went to engine, there was a button next to passengers seat and that fixed the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bobs ur uncle

hello im kailin and im 16..... im vry strongly thinkin bou leavin school to do an aprentaceship in mechanics.....
    i wud like to no hw moch wud u on avrage get piad during the aprentaceship and how many hours a week wud u wrk.......
    are there many job oppertunaties once im finishd....
    nd wats the general pay rate if employed by a large company....
    cud any1 help??????:D:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

hello im kailin and im 16..... im vry strongly thinkin bou leavin school to do an aprentaceship in mechanics.....
    i wud like to no hw moch wud u on avrage get piad during the aprentaceship and how many hours a week wud u wrk.......
    are there many job oppertunaties once im finishd....
    nd wats the general pay rate if employed by a large company....
    cud any1 help??????:D:confused:

you could start by starting a new thread minus the text speak rather then replying to an existing one.;)

Advertisement