Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to get another key for car?

Options
  • 01-11-2007 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I just bought a secondhand car and it's in perfect condition. But it only came with the spare key. So I have only one key and I'm now worried that I'll end up locking myself out. - It's a Ford Ka and so it's really easy to do.

Does anyone know what I'd have to do to get a second key? Would a dealership be able to do it? And how much would I have to fork out?

Cheers to anyone who can help me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

i think that key has a chip in it if so a garage will charge over 90euro,

I've seen blank ones on ebay for 15 or 20 that you could try and get a garage to programme it or use a "transponder bypass module."

i think could get away with using an ordinary cut key just to open the door.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i think that key has a chip in it if so a garage will charge over 90euro,

I've seen blank ones on ebay for 15 or 20 that you could try and get a garage to programme or use a "transponder bypass module." i think could get away with using an ordinary cut key

ring the local ford garage, with you chassis number and order one.
    you can then pick it up with the log book and some id (passport or drivers licence)

dont get a blank one on ebay, you will have to fit an immobiliser by pass thing in your steering column and essentially you will have no immobbiliser so i could rob your car with an ice pop stick now LOL

better off spending the extra fe quid on a genuine key imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You could always try someone like SteveGuard. They might be a bit cheaper - but Steve knows his stuff when it comes to vehicle locks & security.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If it's like my Fiesta ('98, no central locking or anything), you need two already coded keys to code a new one yourself. So as others said you'll probably have to go a Ford dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I did something similar a while back when selling the wife's fiesta.

Only had one key; got 2 more cut from a key cutter. Went to a dealer & had them coded - they have to do 3 at a time; make 1 a master & 2 slaves.

If you already have the master you may get away with getting just one additional slave.
    €20 ea for the keys, €40 to code them.

Where are you based?

Advertisement