Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First proper job: what is "Smart Business" dress code?

• 01-11-2007 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I know a blouse and trousers would be OK but is there anything else I can wear? I would like to wear a nice knee-length pencil skirt, I have a pair of flat black leather boots (calf length), would these be smart enough to go with the skirt? This is my first proper job and the first job where I didn't have to wear a horrible shop uniform so I wanna look nice :)

I am trying to get together a wardrobe that I can mix and match easily because I have to be up at 6 every morning and don't want to be spending ages trying to igure out what will go with what...

I saw lovely satin blouses in the shops today, H & M had them in black, mustard, and purple, and Dunnes had them in teal and in red. I would love to wear these, I love bright colours but I will have to see what everyone else is wearing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

First of all, I'm a guy with zero fashion sense, so I doubt I'll be helpful...

However the best advice is to err on the side of caution for the first few days; the only things you should be making an impression with are your professionalism and readiness to learn new things.

Spend the first few days checking out what others are wearing and take your cue from then. You'll have bags of ideas by day 3 if there are enough women of approximately your age in the place. I'm sure you have enough reasonably conservative clothes for a week!

I suppose that advice can be extended further into the area of your general behaviour. In some workplaces, people swear constantly, bitch about immigrants, spend all day on Bebo and send around lewd jokes in the e-mail. In others, none of that would be tolerated. See what others are doing before you do anything that could be considered "borderline".

Sounds like common sense, but... well you know what I mean. Above all, best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The knee-length skirt is fine. I'd leave aside the fuck me boots and go for a plain pair of shoes instead. Stick with plainish colours like black and white as well until you see what everyone else is wearing. Like what fricatus, err on the conservative side until you see what everyone else is wearing. It could turn out not to be business casual at all, but simply casual dress. HR typically say "business casual" by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Stark wrote: »
    fuck me boots.

Lol, that's the interpretation I was worried about!
    Stark wrote: »
    It could turn out not to be business casual at all, but simply casual dress. HR typically say "business casual" by default

Nah tis smart business. Sure I'll have a gander around at what everyone else is wearing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

Go with the skirt and blouse. I'd stick with the plain (but comfortable) shoes because you don't know if you are going to be standing all day.

Then you can have a look around and see what others are wearing. They might even have casual fridays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

no no no you are thinking completely right....lovely colourful blouses are a must, anything that you look classy and businessy in...
    i was a temp workin in an office and the stuff girls were wearing was very boring. not to say that you should be very adventurous, but there is no problem wearing skirts (noone in the office wore skirts, but i did, cos they're cute and it doesnt have to look slutty - just wear dark tights with them)
    smart business is as if you are going to be at meetings everyday. so just nice respectful clothes, but it dont mean they cant be pretty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

I'd wait on the bright colourful blouses until you start. "Smart Business" usually implies the monochrome, black, white, navy grey...if its a serious company they might prefer you to stick to the normal (if boring) standard type of dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I went into H&M and got a white blouse with pale green pinstripe and a pastel blue blouse.

I have no idea what shoes to get to go with a skirt, I am 5'9 so prefer flat shoes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ballerina pumps will be fine, just get a nice leather pair.

I work in a fairly formal environment, wearing suits 4 days a week with smart business on a Friday (We know how to let our hair down :D)

I love colour and wear it regularly, either on my shoes or in shirts and blouses. It's all about looking smart. But as others said, get the lie of the land first and then you can figure out what is appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Satin is SO in this season, pick up a few blouses from H&M and Dunnes and get ahead of the trend, in a few weeks the rest of your colleagues will all be wearing them too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Wear what you think is suitable for the first week, by then you'll have picked up what the other girls are wearing, then go shopping next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Don't wear the knee high boot unless they are very good quality leather! When i was on my way in to work today is saw a few girls wearing them and I have to say (this being an owner of several pairs) I've decide I don't think i will be wearing them much longer and especially not to work. I thought they looked cheap and did not look professional one bit!

I think the fact that you are even considering what is "smart casual" suggests that you know what is right for work and what isn't. Follow your intuition! As long as the chest isn't showing and the shirts are knee lenght you should be ok! Everything you have described so far sounds grand for work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭dubdcugirly

Defo no to knee high boots with pencil skirt... try Warehouse and Oasis I brough my sister - in - law in there she got two suits, one brown and one grey, got a skirt to match the grey one...
    Also a skirt with a simple chiffon blouse (Warehouse have FAB ones with the little bow at the neck) will make u feel nice but still smart!

Main thing is she went in got two suits/three tops and from now on she is just going to add to them with different tops/bottoms from Dunnes/ H&M etc

Spend good money on good core things and dress them up with cheaper items! It will last you more that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lyndy

Make sure you wear some nice tan tights or black ones with the skirt,bare legs look so tarty in the office,especially this time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

lyndy wrote: »
    Make sure you wear some nice tan tights or black ones with the skirt,bare legs look so tarty in the office,especially this time of the year.

Bare legs are a no-no regardless of the time of year (depending on where you work)

Advertisement