Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeatFM & AOL

• 01-11-2007 8:16pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey..

Quick question. Whats the story with BeatFM going around promoting AOL for jobs and stuff? Its one big promotion racket which seems to be going on since the summer and its getting a tad bit annoying listening to DJs calling the Beat Crew who plug AOL through the whole conversation.

Suppose thats how they make their money.. AOL must be pumping them with big money for it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I parked in New Street Car Park and it's plastered with ads from AOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

We should be thankful they're advertising jobs n not job cuts ...like other places

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AOL has a work force thats not "expanding". Its the same, it just keeps loosing staff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AOL is a call center and like all call centers it has a high turn-over of staff, if you haven't noticed AOL is doing alot of advertising at the moment which can be clearly seen on bus shelters and the backs of buses, so that explains BeatFM :)

Its not rocket science :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Yep, AOL has a high staff turnover, so is constantly recruiting to keep numbers up.
    The reason Beat are advertising non-stop the whole time is AOL are paying them for branding and advertising, be that ads, sponsorship of shows, or for promotional staff to hand out flyers in town etc. It's how radio stations make their money:p Irritating to listen to alright, but then again I don't listen to Beat;)

Have you not noticed that every single week the Munster Express has half page colour adverts for AOL in the recruitment section? Maybe if they spent more money on retaining staff (incentives, higer wages etc maybe?), instead of advertising for the next bunch, it might make more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

'Beat FM'? That station has NEVER been called that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Yeah Beat 102 103. Have never seen anyone get it right though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Probably because Beat 102 103 doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I'd rather they call it Beat or even Beat FM as some call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

AOL sucks .... that will be all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You're a member of the vast masses that is the AOL alumni so? :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You're a member of the vast masses that is the AOL alumni so? :p

I believe he used to be but has since moved away ;)
    John is it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MarkPH

my girlfriend moved here after finishing her degree at home, and was looking for some work to keep her ticking over until she found a proper job in her profession. Some pr!ck at one of the recruitment agencies here was pimping an AOL job on her and offering €18,000 per year and told her that was all she could ever hope for in this country and that she will never get a job in her profession as they wouldnt take foreigners. Took some convincing to tell her he was a pr!ck and that she would be ok. She has a job now and is earning €35,000+. I felt like going in to him myself and telling him where to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

MarkPH wrote: »
    my girlfriend moved here after finishing her degree at home, and was looking for some work to keep her ticking over until she found a proper job in her profession. Some pr!ck at one of the recruitment agencies here was pimping an AOL job on her and offering €18,000 per year and told her that was all she could ever hope for in this country and that she will never get a job in her profession as they wouldnt take foreigners. Took some convincing to tell her he was a pr!ck and that she would be ok. She has a job now and is earning €35,000+. I felt like going in to him myself and telling him where to go!

yes that recruitment agent sounds like a right fool, they are mostly under-qualified bimbos who make money by pimping unsuspecting workers new to the whole recruitment game. yes you should have gone into yer man and had a word with him, or even better torch the place :mad: recruitment agents are to jobs as estate agents are to property..and how we all love estate agents :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

well, I got the lay off call from Bausch and lomb yesterday and would gladly take a job from AOL if it was on offer. (if anyone would care to put in a word)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

solas wrote: »
    well, I got the lay off call from Bausch and lomb yesterday and would gladly take a job from AOL if it was on offer. (if anyone would care to put in a word)

A word? They take pretty much anyone if your willing to work about 20hrs a week or so.

just got an application from someone. 20 hours is better than being on the dole at christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Cabaal wrote: »
    I believe he used to be but has since moved away ;)
    John is it? :)

yes, I am the escapee in question.....dug a tunnel under the canteen with a plastic spoon.... only took me 8 years....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

jhegarty wrote: »
    yes, I am the escapee in question.....dug a tunnel under the canteen with a plastic spoon.... only took me 8 years....

F*ck me Hegarty I thought you'd be in there for life, you dom, ger, the belly kelly etc... There was a few of us lucky to get out a live at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

You get a definite 20hrs if your part time and as far as i know,if your full time its 40hrs a week.As far as I know they're still on the look ou for people,I have the number if you want it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sorry to hear that butty. Hope you get sorted. Why do these companies always do tis at this time of year?:mad:

• Advertisement

flonge wrote: »
    You get a definite 20hrs if your part time and as far as i know,if your full time its 40hrs a week.As far as I know they're still on the look ou for people,I have the number if you want it?
    Application is in and all. thanks.
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that butty. Hope you get sorted. Why do these companies always do tis at this time of year?:mad:
    they tend to recruit to suit manufacturing needs and it seems they've over estimated in their production forecasts for the end of the year (or at least thats the official version) B&L also just finalized a merger with Warberg Pincus so eyes are on the stock markets at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

ahhhhhhhh good ole AOHELL

dont i remember the horror that was........

well id rather be raped by 35 ebola infected monkeys than work in there.

Oh God how i remember the epic AOHELL thread

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

anybody else think beat 102 103 is a load of pants,, that eejit power in the morning time with the squeaky voice really gets up my nose, id rather gerry ryan anyday and it pains me to say it, even oliver carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

id rather gerry ryan anyday

aahhhhhhh no not G RYAN he is the devil, granted beat is utter crap . today fm is a great all round station or if its just talk ya want ya cant go past "news talk ".quick question why does G RYAN love talking about womans issues especially fannypads

Beat Talk is grand, its an enjoyable show. I didnt like it at first, but I do now. Much better then Gerry, who loves himself.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Plus Mary O Neill is a right old tease on it too
    11_lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

And gorgeous!

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Thanks Aquos finally a face to the voice !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ExAoHeller

magick wrote: »
    ahhhhhhhh good ole AOHELL

dont i remember the horror that was........

well id rather be raped by 35 ebola infected monkeys than work in there.
    I hear you there brother.
    Oh God how i remember the epic AOHELL thread
    Oh yes so do I. That thread caused a witch hunt within AOHell trying to find the culprits. There were HR goons going around trying to identify the authors of posts to that thread. It caused a right stink. Many innocent people were accused in the wrong of posting to that thread.

The funny thing was the person named in the thread never knew of its existence. :)

• Advertisement

ExAoHeller wrote: »
    Oh yes so do I. That thread caused a witch hunt within AOHell trying to find the culprits. There were HR goons going around trying to identify the authors of posts to that thread. It caused a right stink. Many innocent people were accused in the wrong of posting to that thread.

The funny thing was the person named in the thread never knew of its existence. :)

Hmm the above sounds like crap to be honest,
    Regardless I can see this thread going the same route which isn't a good idea.

I personally think there's no harm locking this thread

Advertisement