Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducati 916 Build

Options
  • 01-11-2007 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭

Taking inspiration from The Doktors YZR 500 build thread, this is what I am currently working on a Tamiya 1/12 Ducati 916. It is a change for me as I am normally a car builder. I must admit I am quite enjoying the build. Well here are a few pics. Any questions, suggestions, constructive criticism welcome.

Body parts need to be wet sanded and goingover with rubbing compound, they are a little rough at the moment. Side panels are done aswell just forgot to photograph them.
    DSCF2267.jpg
    DSCF2249.jpg
    DSCF2253.jpg
    DSCF2254.jpg

Frame
    Rear end is to be painted in flat aluminium.
    DSCF2265.jpg

Engline block and parts
    DSCF2263.jpg
    DSCF2257.jpg

Oh yes apologies for the poor pictures, would have preferred to have taken pics with natural light but we are all a bit short on that lately! Until next time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

So far its lookin good alright!.
    Watch out for that green colour on the engine. I think it might be kinda too green. I seem to remember that the colour the instructions give was a bit green.
    Have a look at www.bikepics.com and you might get a better idea of what it should be like.
    http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/071999/

though looking at the fairing i think you need to remodel it a little, judging by this pic...
    http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/006971/ :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Looking good Ciaran Dub. The fairings look quite smooth already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

The Doktor I think you could be right about the green alright, only thing is that pic looks more like gun metal type colour rather then green. I was going by this pic Ducati916004.jpg its from a build on AutomotiveForums by a very good builder.

Cheers BFassassin,yeah in the pics its looks smooth but in person it defo needs the wet sand but not much thank god.

Ciaran_Dub wrote: »
    The Doktor I think you could be right about the green alright, only thing is that pic looks more like gun metal type colour rather then green. I was going by this pic Ducati916004.jpg its from a build on AutomotiveForums by a very good builder.

Cheers BFassassin,yeah in the pics its looks smooth but in person it defo needs the wet sand but not much thank god.

When I did the 916 a few years ago, I was lucky enough to see the real thing in the flesh stripped in a bike shop, and yeah, it does look like that pic i posted above. In the flesh you see that it does have the green in it alright. A mix of tamiya metallic grey, with just a drop of green should do it...
    Thing is though, the whole idea of the green makes the model more interesting, which is what is about... somtimes.... Though itll be covered up in the end!!

The Doktor wrote: »
    Thing is though, the whole idea of the green makes the model more interesting, which is what is about... somtimes.... Though itll be covered up in the end!!

That is very true,the very same reason I wasnt too worried about seam lines on the engine block. That and the fact I dont have metallic grey! must pick some up some day now that I think about it!

• Advertisement

Just wonderin, do you put the Decals on and then do a clear coat over it? Or do you just use some sort of polish to give the final shinyness?
    I use the clearcoat method meself, looks pretty good, but is it possible to get it even shinyer (if thats a word!)??
    Heres an example of the clear using laquer out of a spray can decanted into an airbrush.
    Right Finished.jpg

Just wonderin, do you put the Decals on and then do a clear coat over it? Or do you just use some sort of polish to give the final shinyness?
    I use the clearcoat method meself, looks pretty good, but is it possible to get it even shinyer (if thats a word!)??
    Heres an example of the clear using laquer out of a spray can decanted into an airbrush.
    Right Finished.jpg

I have never used clear to be honest, never really ben a great fan of it and especially when you consider after doing a good decal and paint job the risks of running it by the clear eating at the decals is too high in my mind! I also find that sometiems it can leavve a very plasticy (Not a realy word of course) look to the finished model, in sying that though the Repsol looks great.

What I do is wet sand out the light orange peel I normally get (you can see it in the above pics) then use rubbing compound, I find the Tamiya one fine to use, then I use wax/polish over that. Have only used the Tamiya model wax but find it pretty good.

Sorry just to add I know a lot of guys use Meguiers Scratch X and Meguires polishing creams to get a higher shine from the cars. And it seems to work, drop over to Automotiveforums to see what I am talking about, some excellent builders there that never use clearcoat!

Just a quick update just more parts painted no actual assembly done. Oh Dok took your advice and repaintedthe grey/green engine parts cant really see them in the pics but they just have a green hue to them

DSCF2273.jpg

DSCF2268.jpg

Here are all the body parts, including the side fairings I forgot to post last time.
    DSCF2270.jpg

Anyway I hope to get some assembly done during the week a lot of the engine parts are small and need one or two colours hand painted onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Can these kits be bought from tower?

Yes Plug they can. There is a link on Tower Hobbies front page that brings you to this link http://www.plastic-models.com/. I have looked at the prices before and to be honest I dont think they are great. If you are thinking about getting one, you would be better at looking at one of the japanese sites, like http://www.hlj.com or http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you decide to sell this, let me know. It's a perfect match for my baby!

Ned78 I dont normally sell my models but if you are making an offer by all means do.

Plug here is the Ducati on Tower http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGS82&P=W
    Plus another $25 approx for shipping!! Compared to http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM14068
    Which is about €20 delivered! Says it all really

All the parts look very realistic Ciaran. The painting really makes them come to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

What are they like to deal with?

To be honest plug there is no real way to answer the question. It depends on a lot fo things, your own skill level and patience, how detailed you wish to make the model, obviously which model you pick! Thisis my first bike and I must say it is quite easy to deal with, so far no major problems. I suppose it depends on what tools you have to build one! So the short answer is there is no short answer, just give one a go and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Plug wrote: »
    What are they like to deal with?

I think Rennicks Modeltune in the North sells Static Models as well ;)

BFassassin wrote: »
    All the parts look very realistic Ciaran. The painting really makes them come to life.

Cheers Assassin, its amazing what can be done with a camera ;) ah no I am happy so far with how they have come out. I must admit I love the titanium gold colour it looks very cool airbrushed! And that is one thing having a decent airbrush makes such a difference when it comes to painting partsit gives a much better finish.

Yeah the airbrush is brilliant when its working right. I have a cheap airbrush that was in aldi a couple of years ago and it worked ok the first time i used it but no great any time after that. It could be the type of paint and thinners I was using though.

BFassassin wrote: »
    Yeah the airbrush is brilliant when its working right. I have a cheap airbrush that was in aldi a couple of years ago and it worked ok the first time i used it but no great any time after that. It could be the type of paint and thinners I was using though.

I have a cheap airbrush I got from Marks Models and loads of things can effect it, the tube itself, not cleaning it properly, and as you said yourself getting the paint/thinner mixing right. The rule of thumb is the mixing should be the consistence (sp) of milk. Also can you adjust the spray pattern on the airbrush, also is it single or double action airbrush?

Its just a basic one so I presume its a single action. I might pick a new one sometime though and get a good paint finish on my models

• Advertisement

Ah its worth the money considering the difference in finish. Ill never regret spending the money on the Badger I got.

Lookin good Ciaran. Where did ye pick up the cutting mat. I can never seem to get em anywhere.
    If I was you I would definately do the oil wash around the likes of the brake calipers! will really bring out the detail.

I havent done anything on my YZR all week... painting the kitchen :(
    not fair...

Lookin good Ciaran. Where did ye pick up the cutting mat. I can never seem to get em anywhere.
    If I was you I would definately do the oil wash around the likes of the brake calipers! will really bring out the detail.

I havent done anything on my YZR all week... painting the kitchen :(
    not fair...

Cheers Dok, yeah I am thinking about it myself alright, will need to pick up some oil paints first. I cant remember whree I got the cutting mat I think it was in Maplin. You are doing the wrong type of painting!?!?!

Just lookin at your exhausts...I think you can do a lot better:D
    In the instructions of a model they will tell you to paint them one overall colour, and as far as I can remember on this one its titanium gold...
    However on the real thing thats not the case. They are made from stainless steel which discolours the more the bike is used from the heat of the gasses...
    In this pic you can see they are pretty much "silver"..
    916%20018.jpg

Yet in this pic you can see gold colours and blacks ..
    916_bip.jpg

What happens is as the bike is used the areas where there is bends, welds etc the heat builds up more, and theses areas turns gold. This will eventually spread out, and those areas at the bends will darken even more, going to near blacks, maybe even blues and purples...
    On the likes of a Ducati (i.e. joe public road bike) It seems to be mainly gold/black/silver. But on a racing bike, like Moto GP ones, its even more pronounced, with lots of blue..

Also, to get an idea of how long it takes for the colour changes to happen, I polished the exhaust of my own bike, so that they were nice and silver. I took it for a short spin, of about 50km, and already you could see the goldy colours on the hottest areas. So its not as if it takes months or years for this to happen.

Soooo... I think this adds to a finished model, And its easy.
    All you need to do, is start by painting the Exhaust as shiny as you can with alcald chrome. The using tamiya "clear orange" start at each bend/joint and work the airbrush out, so the darkest parts will be at the bend, and it will fade to lighter orange on the straighter parts. Then when thats dry, use some "Smoke" (clear black) with a tiny drop of matt black, and again, start at the bends, and work out.
    Its worth a try, and if you make a mess of it, all ye need to do is rub it down and start again...:D

Oh yeah, just to note on the first picture I reckon the exhausts were polished before the pic was taken...

Just lookin at your exhausts...I think you can do a lot better:D
    In the instructions of a model they will tell you to paint them one overall colour, and as far as I can remember on this one its titanium gold...
    However on the real thing thats not the case. They are made from stainless steel which discolours the more the bike is used from the heat of the gasses...
    In this pic you can see they are pretty much "silver"..
    916%20018.jpg

Yet in this pic you can see gold colours and blacks ..
    916_bip.jpg

What happens is as the bike is used the areas where there is bends, welds etc the heat builds up more, and theses areas turns gold. This will eventually spread out, and those areas at the bends will darken even more, going to near blacks, maybe even blues and purples...
    On the likes of a Ducati (i.e. joe public road bike) It seems to be mainly gold/black/silver. But on a racing bike, like Moto GP ones, its even more pronounced, with lots of blue..

Also, to get an idea of how long it takes for the colour changes to happen, I polished the exhaust of my own bike, so that they were nice and silver. I took it for a short spin, of about 50km, and already you could see the goldy colours on the hottest areas. So its not as if it takes months or years for this to happen.

Soooo... I think this adds to a finished model, And its easy.
    All you need to do, is start by painting the Exhaust as shiny as you can with alcald chrome. The using tamiya "clear orange" start at each bend/joint and work the airbrush out, so the darkest parts will be at the bend, and it will fade to lighter orange on the straighter parts. Then when thats dry, use some "Smoke" (clear black) with a tiny drop of matt black, and again, start at the bends, and work out.
    Its worth a try, and if you make a mess of it, all ye need to do is rub it down and start again...:D

Oh yeah, just to note on the first picture I reckon the exhausts were polished before the pic was taken...

Short answer had been keeping that in mind! :D, I already did the exhausts the goldy type colour and thought they didnt look great so am thinking a nice chrome silver and the heat patterns will look much better. Great minds think alike ;)

Okay quick update, have got a lot done over the last week or so. Pics tellthe story really. Only thing is I didnt dowash the wash of the engine and chain, two reasons a) not to pushed because the engine wont really been seen anyway b) I was too lazy to go get the oil paint and didnt want to hold up the build. So exhausts (I will do the hest patterns) and front end next.

FAO Doktor - appreciate the pics I am useless for not getting proper reference pics before a build BUT something I have noticed with all the pics I have started looking at all the engine/exhaust/frame/brake parts are all different colours! :D So am going to go my own route now but agree the silver exhausts look much better, I did them titanium silver and came out very cool. I really have got to put an order in on the Alclad though it make a huge difference. Anyway enough blabbering the pics

DSCF2287.jpg

DSCF2285.jpg

DSCF2289.jpg

lookin very good! a really clean build.
    But im gonna critisise ye! :D
    your tyres... give em a sand! rub that mold line off em!
    It takes 2 mins, and makes a big difference to a model. It will remove a line that isnt there on a real tyre, and will make the tyre look like its been used.
    If you dont want a used tyre, u gotta do little red an yellow lines that would be on a new tyre!:D

lookin very good! a really clean build.
    But im gonna critisise ye! :D
    your tyres... give em a sand! rub that mold line off em!
    It takes 2 mins, and makes a big difference to a model. It will remove a line that isnt there on a real tyre, and will make the tyre look like its been used.
    If you dont want a used tyre, u gotta do little red an yellow lines that would be on a new tyre!:D

No hadnt forgotten about the tyres, meant to say the tyre is only for show at the moment. Jeez talk about a hard audience :rolleyes:....kidding appreciate the comments gotta say I am pretty happy with it so far. Like I said first bike but will definately be getting another its been fun build so far.

Ciaran_Dub wrote: »
    No hadnt forgotten about the tyres, meant to say the tyre is only for show at the moment. Jeez talk about a hard audience :rolleyes:....kidding appreciate the comments gotta say I am pretty happy with it so far. Like I said first bike but will definately be getting another its been fun build so far.

Ah good man!
    Yeah, dunno what it is about bikes, I love doin em... I get bored with cars, but never bikes...

• Advertisement

Okits been a while since I updated this, what with getting ready for xmas and the arrival of a bundle of joy in the New Year time has gotten away from me. I have continued with it but disaster struck at the weekend! I was basically left with just doing the body parts and decaling. So I was lightly sanding the engine/seat cowl with 1200 grit sand paper and went to far with it! Sanded through the paint. D'Oh! But the disaster didnt end there, I was doing the side cowl and went to far with the rubbing compound! Complete and utter disaster, my own fault was doing it all in poor light!

Anyway not a big deal to repair it all but for one thing I have run out of TS8 the colour I did the body in! So now to what is really what is disaster no 2. I thought I would use X7 through an airbrush and I must say the colour match was pretty decent! But I rushed it, sanded paint today and cut it with rubbing compound. Looked actually quite good BUT I didnt realise some of the paint was not completely cured and got a lovely deep finger print in it!

So that is meout ofaction till I get my hands on some TS8 or get around to stripping the whole panel and starting fresh with x7 instead. Not decided yet what to do but when I get around to it I will update again.

Advertisement