Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuck Wagon on the N1/R132

Options
  • 01-11-2007 9:14pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a piece of road I use a lot,I have never tired the Chuck Wagon but it always seems mad busy I don't think I have ever seen nobody at it.I remember thinking to myself that when the M1 opens this they will have to find a new spot as the N1 will be bypassed,by it seems busy as ever.

I keep saying I will try it buy never seem to have the time,so have any of you lot tried it and if so whats it like...?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never tried it but I remember it was named best mobile takeaway or something a few years back. It's supposed to be really good.
    Give it a lash and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is the puppy's privates. It has several "Bridgestone Good Food Guide" awards. Not bad for a roadside trailer caff.

My personal favourite is a soda farl with sausage, bacon, fried onions, burger & an egg.

The funny thing is that no matter how many people are ahead of you in the queue - be it 1 person or 50 - it will always take 25 mins to get your food.

Give it a shot - it is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Can't beat the full soda.

Where else would you get a cup of tea in a mug on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

You can ring in your order as well so its waiting for you when you pull up: 0857025446

Full soda is the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

+1 for the soda farl! Though a small snooze is required afterwards...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Yep, the soda farl is the best hangover cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Never eaten there myself - my parents swear by the Soda Farl, though. They'd nearly drive out of their way to get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

gotta agree the soda farl is brilliant.
    well worth a stop next time you are passing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

OP - Can't believe you have passed it so many times and never tried it :eek:

Legendary place!

If you can eat 2 full sodas back to back you get a free t-shirt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

And it's all cooked fresh...MMMmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I will have to try one of these full sodas...anybody know the opening times...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Dub13 wrote: »
    Can you change the title to say R132 and not N1 ;)

Opens from early in the morning until around 4/5 these days, not there on a Sunday but open every other day.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Can you change the title to say R132 and not N1 ;)

Is it not called the N1...?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Is it not called the N1...?
    When the M1 became fully established, the N1 was downgraded to the R132 to signify that it was not a national primary road, it also passed from the NRA's control to the local councils along the route.

delly wrote: »
    When the M1 became fully established, the N1 was downgraded to the R132 to signify that it was not a national primary road, it also passed from the NRA's control to the local councils along the route.

Thats interesting,I think more people would know were we are talking about if we leave N1.I have never heard it called the R132.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

used to go there when working in the airport. great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dub13 wrote:
    This is a piece of road I use a lot,I have never tired the Chuck Wagon but it always seems mad busy I don't think I have ever seen nobody at it.I remember thinking to myself that when the M1 opens this they will have to find a new spot as the N1 will be bypassed,by it seems busy as ever.
    I was talking to Martin Crosby, the owner, shortly after the M1 opened as I was wondering if business had slackened off but he said then that they were "up 50%".

He will probably lose a bit of business if Balleally tiphead closes as many of the tipper drivers stop there.

One of the reasons that made it a success was that it was one of the first places you could pull into with a truck after leaving the docks.
    Dub13 wrote:
    so have any of you lot tried it and if so whats it like...?
    Fairly regularly. The breakfast soda would be the most popular item. The cheese sandwiches are beautiful also.

(They don't do chips - always surprises the newbies!)

Personally i think the food was better from the older and much smaller "Chuck Wagon" which was there up until about 1997. They has to change to all stainless steel etc. and I don't think it was as good afterwards. Possibly psychological!

It opens at about 7.30am and closes at about 6.30pm (earlier on a Saturday).

Thanks for that Wishbone Ash,I will try it out the next time I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

delly wrote: »

Ahhh, that explains the 80kph speed limit, always puzzled me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I keep saying I will try it buy never seem to have the time,so have any of you lot tried it and if so whats it like...?

The nicest breakfast roll in the world (on soda bread) with a real cup of piping hot tea.

live the dream man, stop the car.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »

I plan to,but with my hectic jet set lifestyle it can be hard to find the time.:)

ntlbell wrote: »
    LOL :D

(PS - The girls will happily do take-aways wrapped in tinfoil for work colleagues, family etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭waking dreams

The Chucker is absalutly Fantastic !! Soda Bread all the way, Id recomend pre ordering it by phone,to save time ect.

Once you have one... you will be hooked :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Once you have one... you will be hooked :-)
    And 2 stone heavier after a few visits :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

I heard Gordon Ramsey is going to give them a surprise visit.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I only had one yeterday. The breakfast soda's are fuppin beautiful. More than the sum of the parts somehow.

Their num is 085 702 5446 - I usually ring about 20 mins ahead and it's waiting for me nyom nyom nyom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

bambam wrote: »
    Ahhh, that explains the 80kph speed limit, always puzzled me that.

Actually if you look very carefully you will find ,heading for Swords anyway, at Blakes X the speed limit has been dropped to 60kmh :eek::eek:

bcmf wrote: »
    Actually if you look very carefully you will find ,heading for Swords anyway, at Blakes X the speed limit has been dropped to 60kmh :eek::eek:
    Yup, a 60kph sign appeared on the R132 southbound at Staffordstown last March. Most people appear not to notice it or choose to ignore it!

A long steel barrier has been erected along the west side hard shoulder of the R132 overnight presumably connected with the construction of warehouses in the field behind.

What will happen to The Chuck Wagon? The space available has been severely reduced. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I have been living out this way for about 4 years now and often wondered as I whizz by the chuck wagon what the food is like... it seems I need to stop also and try it, rather than drive on to Supermacs! Speaking of Supermacs there at Esso, I noticed the last couple of times (but tried to put it out of my head) that the person who served me took the money etc and proceeded to cook the food also :eek:

Advertisement