Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in the UK

Options
  • 01-11-2007 9:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've got a part time job in the UK in a small shop, and they want my National Insurance number. I don't have one, being Irish and a student. I had a look online and I'd need to go for an interview and everything. Is this really necessary? Would my PPS number work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Yes it's necessary - you'd be working sort of illegally without one. It both proves your working rights in the country and is used for tax purposes. You'll be emergency taxed until you get one, if you're earning enough to be taxted that is (which you're probably not for just a Saturday job). Whether it makes a difference to your tax or not though, your employer can't employ you legally without either your number, or proof from you that you are waiting on a number (an appointment letter for example).

PPS number cannot be used as it's a totally different treasury.

You get it from your local Job Centre. Google Job Centre Plus and call to make an appointment at your local branch.

More information here:
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/ni_number.asp

Advertisement