Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pill

• 01-11-2007 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

Recently went on the Pill to help regulate irregular periods but have noticed that i have a lot of spots.
    i usually have very clear skin except in the week before my period.
    Just wondering if anybody else has had the same problems while on microlite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The pill can do that, I think Yasmin or Yasminelle is better for not giving spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Different reactions for different people. Maybe your face just needs time to "settle down" and adjust to the different level of hormones in your body. I found the opposite - came off the pill and went from amazingly clear skin to hormonal breakouts along my jawline :(

If it persists, ask your doctor about perhaps changing pill - as mentioned above, most women I know seem to get on fine with Yasmin, although it didn't agree with me. Perhaps enquire about dianette - this pill is given to women suffering from certain conditions, and one of the things it does is help clear up spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

have heard great things about yasmin.....may have to look into that.
    Perhaps enquire about dianette - this pill is given to women suffering from certain conditions, and one of the things it does is help clear up spots.
    Heard Dianette has very high dosages of hormones so that prob explains why it clears up spots for some women...seeing as a low dosage pill is making me break out id be terrified as to what i high dosage one could do to me! :eek:
    ask your doctor about perhaps changing pill
    Do you have to stcik one type out for a certain amount of time before changing?

The spots are really getting me down cos i usually have very clear skin and people are always commenting on how lucky i am to have spot free skin....not anymore it seems:mad::(

How long have you been on microlite? if it's over 3 months (ie you've given your system enough time to get used to it) and there's no change, then I'd say go ask about a change. If it's only been a month or two, give your system a bit of time to adjust to the hormonal changes in your system, it may right itself. You may have to try a few to see what suits you.

I myself went though about 5 different varieties of pill over the years before I threw in the towel and came off them altogether as I had bad reactions to all varieties. Other alternatives to the pill you know! Although I see you're on it to regulate your cycles - if it's not the contraceptive component to the pill you want, perhaps try to regulate your cycles yourself with supplements - a B vitamin complex, along with evening primrose oil (or starflower oil) and a supplement called agnus castus are all very good at regulating hormonal balance, ask in your local heath food store for advice on these, many women find them to be useful. I myself didn't really go in for all the herbal remedy stuff before, but I have to say, I gave it a shot and it seems to have helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

im on the pill too, ive had no reactions at all. although i was hpoing ofr the "make my boobs a bit bigger" one!! what pill does that? or is it different strokes for different folks?

• Advertisement

Hey Misticles

From taking to people it really seems to be hit and miss which is annoying me big time!!! one of my friends went loppy on yasmin and another has the nicest shortest pain free periods and glowing skin!!...raged that ive broken out!!!

dunno which one is the "bigger boobs" one, think it could just be weight gain tho and not actual bigger boobs, cos the doc told me the pill would increase my appetite and to watch what i eat if i dont want to gain weight.

dunno if im being paranoid or not and thinking i have a bigger appetite and spots etc..

are you on microlite??

nope, im on logynon! nobody ive ever spoken to has been on this. my friend was an ironing board and as soon as she went on the pill it was like hello, here some new boobs!! ggrr. shes on dianette i think. i was never given any options, doc just sd this one. does me just fine. my periods are as regular as clockwork. which is great! i get one or two spots coming up to my period! thats about it, no major breakouts.

echosound wrote: »
    How long have you been on microlite? if it's over 3 months (ie you've given your system enough time to get used to it) and there's no change, then I'd say go ask about a change. If it's only been a month or two, give your system a bit of time to adjust to the hormonal changes in your system, it may right itself. You may have to try a few to see what suits you.

I myself went though about 5 different varieties of pill over the years before I threw in the towel and came off them altogether as I had bad reactions to all varieties. Other alternatives to the pill you know! Although I see you're on it to regulate your cycles - if it's not the contraceptive component to the pill you want, perhaps try to regulate your cycles yourself with supplements - a B vitamin complex, along with evening primrose oil (or starflower oil) and a supplement called agnus castus are all very good at regulating hormonal balance, ask in your local heath food store for advice on these, many women find them to be useful. I myself didn't really go in for all the herbal remedy stuff before, but I have to say, I gave it a shot and it seems to have helped.

Thanks a mil echosound, you're being so helpful and i really appreciate it.
    Am only on my first pack of microlite so ill give it the 3months before i change but just wanted to check that i wasnt imagining things and see if it was possible that the change in my skin is down to the pill.

Have tried b complex and evening primrose oil in the past ( my mam swears them and all natural remedies) and to be honest they didnt help. have never heard of agnus castus. what is it exactly?
    Doc couldnt figure out why my cycle never settled....as a result im willing to try anythin!!!
    :rolleyes:

Misticles wrote: »
    nope, im on logynon! nobody ive ever spoken to has been on this. my friend was an ironing board and as soon as she went on the pill it was like hello, here some new boobs!! ggrr. shes on dianette i think. i was never given any options, doc just sd this one. does me just fine. my periods are as regular as clockwork. which is great! i get one or two spots coming up to my period! thats about it, no major breakouts.

Dianette is a very high dossage so that prob explains why her boobs blew out!!
    have never heard of logynon....i also wasnt given a choice...Doc just said he starts everyone on microlite....dont know why though!

Very jealous that you dont get spots...do you think its possible that i should be getting a period now and the pill is working against my bodyclock?
    As ive no real cycle i just had to start the pill and not wait until i had a period like most docs and pills suggest

how long have u been on it>? it wouldn wrk against it. your body needs time to adjust. they wont be regular from the off.. it takes a good few months for that.

• Advertisement

Heya - here's a link to the wiki for agnus castus, I have to say I did find it helped to regulate cycles a bit for me. linky

and here's one for a health store and what they say about it:
    linky

It helps to balance and regulate hormones, which in turn help with the hormonal spots and your cycle.

If your cycle is very irregular, it might be no harm to ask your doc to investigate further. Could be an underlying cause, like endo or PCOS, both of which can be treated, and it'd be no harm getting to the bottom of things for your own peace of mind.

Even some thing as simple as your bodyweight (ie if you're very slim or alternatively, overweight - not saying you are either of the two BTW! Just sometimes there's a link between these and irregular periods) could be affecting your cycles, so if your current GP is not very helpful, I'd suggest changing to another doctor (perhaps even a female GP - I found my old doc to be massively unhelpful and it was only when I changed docs to a woman that had a special interest in reproductive health that they took me seriously and investigated) and seeing if there's an underlying cause.

If you have any Q about anything I said BTW, feel free to PM me. I feel your pain - as I said, never had a spot all my teenage years and at the ripe ol age of 26 when I came off the pill (about 2 yrs ago) I erupted, and have been trying creams and cleansers etc to no avail :mad: The only thing that helps me personally is watching what I eat (healthier is better for clearer skin naturally) drink lots of water and take the agnus castus too.

Oh, and btw, DON'T take the agnus castus if you're still on the pill though, only take it if you come off the pill.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I was on microlite for 3 months and it really messed with my skin and hair, as it made them greasy the whole time. I have now switched to Dianette (although I dont have acne) but have yet to see an improvement after 2 months.

Nightwish wrote: »
    I was on microlite for 3 months and it really messed with my skin and hair, as it made them greasy the whole time. I have now switched to Dianette (although I dont have acne) but have yet to see an improvement after 2 months.

Really???

sounds exactly like me...my hair hasnt changed much but my skin defo has. feel very unattractive since i went on it even tho my boyfriend notices no difference. my mam agrees that my skin condition is worse.

Did you change from microlite mainly because of the skin and hair problems? What did your doctor say when you told him/her about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Hey,

It's not necessarily to do with your pill.

It's very very common for women to get skin problems just before their period. It's due to hormone changes.

Most common ones are cracked sides of the lips, spots anywhere along the jawline/neck/side of mouth and coldsores!!

As for pill chat -i've always been on Cilest purely for contraceptive purposes. I have Cystic Acne and it got very bad last year so changed to Dianette as it helps with acne. It made me majorly depressed and didn't make much difference at all to my skin so I just stick with Cilest and use products I swear by for my skin!

I've never really noticed any side effects with being on the pill, weight gain, boob gain... although i wish i had boob gain!

It's not necessarily to do with your pill.
    It's very very common for women to get skin problems just before their period. It's due to hormone changes.Most common ones are cracked sides of the lips, spots anywhere along the jawline/neck/side of mouth and coldsores!
    Yeh i used ti get spots before my period but never like this. ive been taking microlite for over a week and having never had any problems with my skin im amazed at the difference. Dont think it can be period related seeing as im have a pack away from the last pill.??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Really???

sounds exactly like me...my hair hasnt changed much but my skin defo has. feel very unattractive since i went on it even tho my boyfriend notices no difference. my mam agrees that my skin condition is worse.

Did you change from microlite mainly because of the skin and hair problems? What did your doctor say when you told him/her about it?

I felt like crap the whole time I was on Microlite. You know how you usually get spots the week before your period? Well it was like that for the entire 3 months. I went back to the doctor and told him it wasnt suiting me and didnt ease my agonising pains every month (the reason for going on the pill). He didnt say anything other than the lower dosage of hormones obviously didnt suit me and put me on the higher dosage (Dianette). I had extremely bad pains this month and my skin is still bad but I was told it would take 3 months to improve.

Nightwish wrote: »
    I felt like crap the whole time I was on Microlite. You know how you usually get spots the week before your period? Well it was like that for the entire 3 months. I went back to the doctor and told him it wasnt suiting me and didnt ease my agonising pains every month (the reason for going on the pill). He didnt say anything other than the lower dosage of hormones obviously didnt suit me and put me on the higher dosage (Dianette). I had extremely bad pains this month and my skin is still bad but I was told it would take 3 months to improve.

Sounds exactly like me!!!! I feel your pain.
    I went on the pill cos i have very irregular periods and when they do come they are very heavy and painful (sometimes i have to stay in bed with a hot water bottle for a hour before i can even get up).
    Microlite seems to have effected me in the same way. I have spots that are worse than the ones i get before my period and they just wont go away. have been taking microlite for nearly 2 weeks now and have had the spots since nearly the 2nd or third day....dunno what do to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Anyone else feel their moods change? I was on Marviol which was apparantely a high dosage and felt depressed and horrible so i eventually i went to my doctor and he changed me to Microlite which is apparantely a very low dosage...i dunno though I still feel different or not as i used to in my pill-free days. I dont really know what to do because obviously i need a contraception! I was considering the implant but i was afraid if this messed with my mood it wouldnt be easy to remove :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I was on Yasmin for a few months and it made my skin terrible. I'd hardly had a spot before in my life but when I was on the pill it looked like I had leprosy or something! I had a lot of other side effects (nausea and vomiting, irratibility and seriously ginormous boobs... way too big!) so I stopped taking it and my skin cleared up pretty soon after. The doctor prescribed the contraceptive patch which also didn't agree with me for a number of reasons but it didn't mess up my skin at least! If it stays like this for another month or two I'd go to the doctor and ask for a change. I've seen photos of me on a holiday while I was on the pill and I just looked awful, spotty and pale and pasty looking. Anything that could make me look that bad was not agreeing with me at all and couldn't be good for me! It took me a while to find a contraception that didn't make me ill but it was worth it. Just ask your doctor for advice and it may take a few tries to find the right method/brand for you.

Dirtydress: the pill made me moody and depressed. if you feel that way go to your doctor again. That much hormoes have to affect your mood and it's not good. I use the injection now and I don't get moody/ depressed. Some people just can't take the high doses of oestrogen and I'm one of them. The injection is progesterone based so I'm grand now. I'd talk to your doctor and explain how you're feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

depo-provera ftw :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

missmatty wrote: »
    depo-provera ftw :D

I concur, I think it's fab! but it doesn't agree with everyone. The doctor told me I was very lucky not to have any side effects at all. Different strokes I suppose, you've got to find what works for you!

watna wrote: »
    I was on Yasmin for a few months and it made my skin terrible. I'd hardly had a spot before in my life but when I was on the pill it looked like I had leprosy or something! I stopped taking it and my skin cleared up pretty soon after.If it stays like this for another month or two I'd go to the doctor and ask for a change. I've seen photos of me on a holiday while I was on the pill and I just looked awful, spotty and pale and pasty looking. Anything that could make me look that bad was not agreeing with me at all and couldn't be good for me! It took me a while to find a contraception that didn't make me ill but it was worth it. Just ask your doctor for advice and it may take a few tries to find the right method/brand for you.

Thanks Watna, its nice to know im not the only one!! my skin is sooooo place and spotty, new ones arrive each morning without the old ones going away.........Want to cry about it today tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

dirtydress wrote: »
    Anyone else feel their moods change? I was on Marviol which was apparantely a high dosage and felt depressed and horrible so i eventually i went to my doctor and he changed me to Microlite which is apparantely a very low dosage...i dunno though I still feel different or not as i used to in my pill-free days. I dont really know what to do because obviously i need a contraception! I was considering the implant but i was afraid if this messed with my mood it wouldnt be easy to remove :(

Yeah big time!! When I changed from Cilest to Dianette for my skin. I don't know if it was because I was already feeling a bit crap at the time but I remember feeling really really low and going into the Dr and busrting into tears.

I've not heard of many other people being on Cilest but I've had no problems whatoever with it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Sorry to hear about that Squishywishy. I'm lucky in that I've never had to try the pill. Btw, depo can decrease your bone density with prolonged use so I'm off it at the moment for a break. But to be honest if it was up to me I'd stay on it till I was 50 :D

Hope you all find the right pill to suit. Wish I were a man :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,653 ✭✭✭✭fits

To counteract all the negative stories about yasmin and dianette, they've worked for me. Yasmin in particular is very good I've found (for me obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭dollydrops

It really is a case of different folks different strokes.

I have been on Mircolite years and I have never (thank god) have had any side effects. It was the first pill my doc put me and I never had to try another one. I do have a big appetite but I would blame the pill for this I reckon its just my love of food unfortunately

Just wondering though I have never taken a break. Do you girls often take breaks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

The first pill I was on was Logynon - it gave me horrible headaches and moodswings - I was superbitch one minute and a blabbering cryin mess the next it was horrible!
    So i stopped that and asked my doc recently about dianette or yasmin to help get rid of my spots (i never have a stop free day ever!)
    so last month i went on yasmin, and it made my skin 10 times worse than it is without any pill...it must be different for everyone but i did feel my boobs get a little bit bigger :D i stopped taking it now, its jus not worth it, i'm not in a relationship and dont realy sleep around, it does nothing for my skin and its 13 something euro a month. so long yasmin!

my friend has been on dianette for years, she swears by it for her skin and boobs, but my doc didnt recomment it as it is so strong and can have many side effects. my friend who is on it does struggle with weight and mood swings.

the things we girls have to go thru...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Being a girl sucks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

ghey, my doc has prescribed a change from yasmin to diannette to deal with these acne type spots ive been getting recently (been on yasmin years, its definitely not to blame) and now im worried diannette is gonna make me depressed and gain weight!

*sigh* i dont need this **** right now
    i might just come off the pill altogether again, maybe i could get sterilised...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I just came off Lygonon and went on Dianette to try and sort out the spots i have on my chest and back. Seems to be working and i haven't noticed any mood swings.

suppose ill just have to hold on in here in my spotty little world until ive taken another pack and hope for the best when i see the doc!........Is it likely to be ireversable?? :eeek:

orla wrote: »
    I just came off Lygonon and went on Dianette to try and sort out the spots i have on my chest and back. Seems to be working and i haven't noticed any mood swings.

yay, ok one good piece of news.
    guess all i can do is give it a lash and hope for the best

suppose ill just have to hold on in here in my spotty little world until ive taken another pack and hope for the best when i see the doc!........Is it likely to be ireversable?? :eeek:

i doubt it'll be irreversable. i hope not anyway!!!
    its just the hormonal changes (thats what i keep telling myself anyway, why my hormones are suddenly acting up now, i dont know, but i'm praying they'll settle down soon!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭dubdcugirly

Yasmin was the first pill I tried and i never want to change...as a 19yr old wen I started I was really suspetable to spots (due to my age)..i always get a few around the time of the month and this continued but significantly was reduced when I went on yasmin! Its only 12 euro a month and two doctors (plus the well womans clinic) hav told me its the best for weight and spots! and I aint arguing with them so far :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

ugh i dunno now if i shud have maybe given yasmin another month? but did you notice that the spots went bad and then got better? cos that month i was on yasmin i was jus gettin those really big sore spots all over my face, and they'd be like one on top of the other an all it was awful. i decided now to jus stick to panoxyl (cream for spots) and drink water and avoid sugar (halloween hasnt helped yet ha)

for me i must say sugar always makes me break out, like within an hour after eatin choc i can see a spot appearing something...anyone else so sensitive to sugar?

• Advertisement

Yasmin was the first pill I tried and i never want to change...as a 19yr old wen I started I was really suspetable to spots (due to my age)..i always get a few around the time of the month and this continued but significantly was reduced when I went on yasmin! Its only 12 euro a month and two doctors (plus the well womans clinic) hav told me its the best for weight and spots! and I aint arguing with them so far :D

I wanted to be put on yasmin because ive heart nothing but good things about it but the dos said its his ploicy to start everybody on microlite. Think ill ask if i can change when i go back for a check in 2 months.....until then ill be pumping the water into me and hoping it helps my skin it seems....

you should see me now tho....im sitting here with spot cream all over my face praying the door bell doesnt ring!!!! LOL

Well I got my first prescription from the well womans clinic so that might have something to do with it, i know that from my friends the ones who went to doctors and made an excuse such as irratic periods to go on the pill wer put on microlite whilst those who said its for protection wer put on yasmin...dont know if there is any scientific reason but thats that pattern that has emerge in my group of thankful no unwanted pregancy group of friends!:D

P.S. point of that comment was not to make it seem that saying u wer going on the pill for irregular periods as a cover up! just that maybe a white lie to ur doctor that you want it for protective reasons might be your way to get on Yasmin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Is anyone using Yasminelle? And what do you think of it?

P.S. point of that comment was not to make it seem that saying u wer going on the pill for irregular periods as a cover up! just that maybe a white lie to ur doctor that you want it for protective reasons might be your way to get on Yasmin!

lol.....lucky i scrolled down and read on before i wrote back....was gonna say i didnt cover anything up....although i must admit your friends are VERY clever!!

Doc seemed to think i was covering up anyway and the college nurse dismissed the irregular periods anyway....think i need to see a local GP next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

How about Brevinor? I have been on this since i was 16. I'm 25 now and still the same weight since i was 16, my clothes i wore back then still fit! I'm still 8 stone:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I couldn't promote Dianette enough. I had very bad skin and was put on it for that reason. It cleared my skin up completely, I haven't put on weight and no mood change, I couldn't be happier with it. But different strokes for different folks, everyone's different. Best of luck OP, I hope your skin clears up soon, I know how horrible it is to have bad skin :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Avoid Yasmin! It's one of the strongest, and the most expensive. Ask your doctor for ones that are the same strength as it, or Dianette. Microlite is the weakest one, mercilon is the same strength as it with different amounts of the hormones, could work, but it was recently involved in a blood clot case..

Minulet is great, stronger than Microlite/mercilon, weaker than Yasmin/Dianette. Minulet is €6.20, Yasmin is €13 something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is no magic type of pill that suits everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yasmin is like a less strong version of Dianette. I prefer Dianete as I have bad skin, have been on them both.

Advertisement