Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget - VRT Changes

Options
  • 01-11-2007 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Any leaks on whats going to happen large engines and SUV's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Any leaks on whats going to happen large engines and SUV's

Haven't heard anything but hopefully they double whatever it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Haven't heard anything but hopefully they double whatever it is now.
    Hopefully not.

Gatster wrote: »
    Hopefully not.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

alleepally wrote: »
    Why?

Because some people like to drive nice cars.

"big" engined cars are not nessecarily bad, mmkay.

A 2.2 Diesel Accord will do around 52 mpg, a 1.0 micra does around 48. I know which one I'd rather drive around in , even without the mpg advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Stop trolling alleepally!

We're the most overtaxed nation on new cars bar Denmark as it stands, VRT is against the single market principles of the EU, the last thing we need is more tax!

But since ye've asked, read what I said here

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »

We're the most overtaxed nation on new cars bar Denmark as it stands, VRT is against the single market principles of the EU, the last thing we need is more tax!

I dont think it's just Denmark. Someone put a list in the last VRT thread and I think we were about 4th or 5th most taxed country.

You caught me, sorry :-) It was the TLA that did it your honour... SUV makes me mad. I drive a 2 litre A4 myself but I've given up commuting in it due to the grinding traffic on our roads.

Yeah, VRT does suck majorly but the money would have to be found somewhere else - but where? Ok, not a discussion for this thread I know, but talking about vrt or getting worked up about it is flogging a dead horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Because some people like to drive nice cars.
    I prefer large capacity, N/A, well sorted engines, eg. AMG's 5.5, the E39 M5, 3.2 Alfa V6 (even though I drive a 2.0 Turbo :D). I should be able to drive whatever I want within my budget, and I did suspect alleepally of trolling.

If I didn't have my commute, I'd go back to 3.0L + in a shot, but the public transport infrastructure in Dublin is so woeful I don't have a realistic choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

alleepally wrote: »
    You caught me, sorry :-) It was the TLA that did it your honour... SUV makes me mad. I drive a 2 litre A4 myself but I've given up commuting in it due to the grinding traffic on our roads.

Yeah, VRT does suck majorly but the money would have to be found somewhere else - but where? Ok, not a discussion for this thread I know, but talking about vrt or getting worked up about it is flogging a dead horse.

The solution is really simple, put all the money made on VRT onto petrol. It would shoot up petrol prices by 30 cents a litre.

Thats a huge amount, and it would incentavise people a lot better than the current system to use public transport,drive more economically and drive less often. It would be harsh, but you said it yourself, the money has to come from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I agree with the tax on petrol instead - that way, the more you use it, the more tax you pay, rather than the current system which is something like the number of hits on their quote service multiplied by the day of the month, multiplied by the page number of the magazine open in the canteen. Look at the UK where petrol is up around £1.30 in places. Pounds. And look how much cheaper cars are there. Choose whatever car you like and if it's a gas guzzler you pay for it that way.

Of course, this being Ireland they'll hike the tax onto the petrol, and then just rename the VRT and leave it in place ;)

• Advertisement

The solution is really simple, put all the money made on VRT onto petrol. It would shoot up petrol prices by 30 cents a litre.

Thats a huge amount, and it would incentavise people a lot better than the current system to use public transport,drive more economically and drive less often. It would be harsh, but you said it yourself, the money has to come from somewhere.

Yep, it's a good idea in principle. Traffic/common sense has driven me off the road after many years of being one of the many thousands of single person vehicles on the roads. Since weaning myself off the car, I walk everywhere locally now when I'd always opt for the car. tbh, I think an increase in petrol would penalise lower paid workers. We don't need yet another rich/poor divide in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanpaul

I have a mad plan,

claim interest on all the loans Bertie got but didn't tell us about, and put a cap on politicians pay rises, and perhaps even make them performance related, with penalities for poor performance - thats if you could ever work out what the hell they do other than sit around tables thinking of ways to increase the VRT.......

"..if we only put the top rate of VRT up from 30% to 35% we could bring in an extra 1 billion Euro next year and that would get us out of our black hole".....

"lets do it now, what are we waiting for....it wont effect us, as we get company cars and can claim expenses"....

"...but what about if we push the electorate too far?" ...."dont worry they wont do anything!"

Please,

do something write to TDs, wrtie to the EU, make a fuss!

I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

VRT changes postponed until 2008 unless they get sneaky and do change them in the Budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

E92 wrote:
    The solution is really simple, put all the money made on VRT onto petrol.
    Simple? For Simon, maybe!

What about the vast majority of drivers who have already paid VRT on their cars? They would be paying twice, in effect.

Your 'simple' solution would work for road tax, but not for VRT.

[Jebus, here I am contributing to a VRT thread derail, when only yesterday I was bemoaning same. I can't let the above post pass without comment though. ]

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I agree with the tax on petrol instead - that way, the more you use it, the more tax you pay

What about people like me that live in "de country"? Should we be penalised because we have to drive 30+ miles to work and there is an absolutely terrible public transport system?

Anyway, isn't VRT techically illegal as it is calculated on an amount that already includes tax?

Yes, VRT is technically illegal according to the EU, but they'll get the money from somewhere else. Yeah, I know a lot of people have a long commute, but at the end of the day, you're using the roads more so why not pay more towards their upkeep. If I do 5k a year, why should I be charged the same amount of tax as someone who does 50k? Either way it sucks, but being proportional to the amount of driving done seems to me to be the fairest option...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Being proportional to the amount of driving done seems to me to be the fairest option...

I would love nothing better than to use public transport and avoid driving and paying road tax.

However:
    a) I'm not paying more to live in town to be closer to work. I've done that for long enough.
    b) I'm not driving a flippin' digger over the roads to damage them that much
    c) In the North West road upkeep is a joke
    d) In the North West Public transport is also a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

If you're silly enough to buy a new car, then you should pay the VRT. The rest of us who buy second hand are not willing to pay VRT through petrol prices so you can keep on financially castrating yourselves.

Get a grip people, if you're thick enough to accept the current VRT and buy new as it stands, you've enough problems already!!!! I wouldn't mind car tax being done away with and added to petrol prices, that would make sense. But VRT stays with new cars, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

maoleary wrote: »
    If you're silly enough to buy a new car, then you should pay the VRT. The rest of us who buy second hand are not willing to pay VRT through petrol prices so you can keep on financially castrating yourselves.

Get a grip people, if you're thick enough to accept the current VRT and buy new as it stands, you've enough problems already!!!! I wouldn't mind car tax being done away with and added to petrol prices, that would make sense. But VRT stays with new cars, period.

If you think that buy buying used instead of secondhand you're avoiding VRT, you're deluded..........the reason the 2nd car prices are what they are is due, largely, to the inflated-by-VRT new price. No one is going to hand away the VRT amount as depreciation overnight..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Gulliver wrote: »
    I would love nothing better than to use public transport and avoid driving and paying road tax.

However:
    a) I'm not paying more to live in town to be closer to work. I've done that for long enough.
    b) I'm not driving a flippin' digger over the roads to damage them that much
    c) In the North West road upkeep is a joke
    d) In the North West Public transport is also a joke

I hear ya :) I do live near dublin but used to live down in Wicklow and pretty much needed a car. And even living in south Co. Dublin, I save well over an hour each way by driving to work rather than getting the bus.

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you think that buy buying used instead of secondhand you're avoiding VRT, you're deluded..........the reason the 2nd car prices are what they are is due, largely, to the inflated-by-VRT new price. No one is going to hand away the VRT amount as depreciation overnight..........

It's very true, it's the reason second hand cars are also way more expensive here than the UK. My car is about €1500 more expensive here than the exact same model in the UK - a 12 year old Golf. And that happens to be roughly what the VRT would be if you tried to import one as well.

Where do 2nd hand cars come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's very true, it's the reason second hand cars are also way more expensive here than the UK. My car is about €1500 more expensive here than the exact same model in the UK - a 12 year old Golf. And that happens to be roughly what the VRT would be if you tried to import one as well.
    Have to call you on that! Without checking on www.ros.ie , I'd be prepared to wager that the VRT on a 1995 Golf would be . . . . . . €315! The minimum!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I agree with the tax on petrol instead - that way, the more you use it, the more tax you pay, rather than the current system which is something like the number of hits on their quote service multiplied by the day of the month, multiplied by the page number of the magazine open in the canteen. Look at the UK where petrol is up around £1.30 in places. Pounds. And look how much cheaper cars are there. Choose whatever car you like and if it's a gas guzzler you pay for it that way.

Of course, this being Ireland they'll hike the tax onto the petrol, and then just rename the VRT and leave it in place ;)

I'd definitely support this. I pay tax on a 1.8 Alfa(Cue abuse from toyota drivers):D:rolleyes: and I am in college, I walk to college every day and only drive the car weekends to go home or the odd time during the week. I'm paying the same tax as someone that drives their car to and from work every day, while I choose to walk almost everywhere during the week. It would mean people are reminded of both their choice of car and their journey distance every time they fill up the tank, not just once or twice a year.

Of course a system like that is far too simple and applies common sense, therefore would not be introduced to Ireland. Far better to have an army of civil servants making up the tax and its complexities for each car, wasting tax payers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

VRT changes postponed until 2008 unless they get sneaky and do change them in the Budget.

So.....to answer the OP lads........, this is the current situation?

esel wrote: »
    Have to call you on that! Without checking on www.ros.ie , I'd be prepared to wager that the VRT on a 1995 Golf would be . . . . . . €315! The minimum!

Try a Golf GTi 16V... I imported one last year and it was around the €1300 mark. My credit card still bears the scars to prove it ;) In fairness that was a 97, but the point being that the proportions are the same. Second hand cars are more expensive than the equivalent in the UK by vaguely the amount the VRT is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

To whom do you write to in the EU to complain about the VRT.

I would be interested in starting a lobbying group against VRT. A single voice is nothing, but 11,000 boards members is something.

I reckon we draft a letter and copy and paste, and just change our names at the bottom, then we pick a day and we all at the same time send the letters into the EU. Or just send the letters to Boards head office, with a contribution fee for posting and get them to send it to Brussells.

If nothing else it will help the Post Office profits for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

kluivert wrote: »
    To whom do you write to in the EU to complain about the VRT.

I would be interested in starting a lobbying group against VRT. A single voice is nothing, but 11,000 boards members is something.

I reckon we draft a letter and copy and paste, and just change our names at the bottom, then we pick a day and we all at the same time send the letters into the EU. Or just send the letters to Boards head office, with a contribution fee for posting and get them to send it to Brussells.

If nothing else it will help the Post Office profits for next year.

Maybe if we all put a pirates flag in place of the EU flag on our number plate to symbolise we are not equal Europeans and the EU don't look after us motorists whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Haha, good grief :rolleyes:

Advertisement