Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drink driving

Options
  • 01-11-2007 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Anyone know how it works when someone with a none irish but EU driving licence is caught for drink driving? Does the ban extend to their EU country or is it limited to Ireland?
    Also, if you turn up to court on the day of a drink driving hearing without a solicitor and the arresting Garda dosnt turn up, what is the proceedure?
    Its not me its a thoughtless friend of mine who really f**ked up. Im just concerned and im wondering what they have in store for them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

I'm not 100%, but i dont think it effects extend to there country and if the garda fails to show, then its throwing of court.

I think i could correct on the second one. My mate made a right turn up a one way street and got done by a garda, but my mate argued that there was no signs anywhere, he even took loads of photos for the court appearence, but the garda never showed up and it was dismissed much to his annoyance.

PS: If he gets done for drink driving then he deserves what he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭philiy

thing is there has already been a court hearing, the judge said as the arresting garda didnt show the hearing was prosponed for 2 weeks, also was told to get a solisitor as it is required, correct me if im wrong but isnt this wrong.
    How would none EU country find out about the offence, how would it extend to the EU country the licence is issued?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

If the guard doesn't turn up, it's simply postponed.

As for having a solicitor, it'll cost about Eur150 or so to hire one but look at it this way... the solicitor also provides your character reference so not having one will probably be detrimental to your case, and could result in a higher fine. The max fine is Eur5000! (otherwise expect a fine of up to Eur500-Eur1000 for a first offence)

The solicitor will also examine the garda report for anything that could get the case dismissed (e.g. did your friend admit to drink driving, did the garda actually see your friend driving or attempting to drive the vehicle)

As far as I know, if it isn't an Irish driving licence your friend will be banned from driving in Ireland but not elsewhere. (they're working on a system where the ban will apply throughout the EU)
    If it is an Irish licence, your friend will have to surrender the licence and therefore cannot drive in Ireland or elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

There is no requirement to have a solicitor. I do not know where you will get one for €150. they might charge that for turning up the first day and asking for a copy of the garda evidence. Even at that it would be on the basis that they have other work in the same court that day. Solicitors typically need to earn over €150 per hour. A full defence could cost a lot more. If a barrister is employed the charge would be from €350 to €800 depending on the reputation of the barrister with a fee to the solicitor as well done on a time basis.

Advertisement