Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Project Website

Options
  • 01-11-2007 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm in the first year of a computing course, and for our communications class we were asked to make a website about something that interests us. I've decided to make a Nine Inch Nails fansite, and I'd like some feedback and suggestions before I'm due to hand the project in.

The site is www.nincomplete.uni.cc.

Its the general design I'm looking for advice on at the minute, and the 'forum' 'gallery' and 'contact' pages are not yet online, so the links will do nothing.

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

TPD wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm in the first year of a computing course, and for our communications class we were asked to make a website about something that interests us. I've decided to make a Nine Inch Nails fansite, and I'd like some feedback and suggestions before I'm due to hand the project in.

The site is www.nincomplete.uni.cc.

Its the general design I'm looking for advice on at the minute, and the 'forum' 'gallery' and 'contact' pages are not yet online, so the links will do nothing.

Thanks very much!

If its your first website that you have designed then congrats, its not bad. I would make the fonts in the menu smaller, i also dont like the way it changes when you select say contact. The videos i'm not sure on either, they looked very close together, maybe add links on a second page where you can select say there top 10 liver performances.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nice design from a first year student :) Got good taste there.

Only things id like to see are:-

1) Page titles. I often forget what page iv came to. :/ Both a graphic title and a browser title should do the job.

2) The page with youtube videos (not sure the page) - dont like the way there all shoved on the one page. Id like some proper organisation.. maybe a bullet point list of videos, clicking it opens a popup window?

3) I personaly think if you refer to another part of your site on another section - link it. Less mouse movements to get the page required. :)

4) Loading of each page refreshes the whole site.. I like systems where the page moves in without a complete refresh. [Might to be much for such project.]

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I would make the fonts in the menu smaller, i also dont like the way it changes when you select say contact.

Hey, I thought they were pretty cool :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Thanks for the feedback.

The font that the menu items change to on rollover is used by the band on some of their album covers, so I put it in there to appeal to the more long term fans of the band. (Thinking of keeping the site on the net after the project is over.)

About the pagetitles - for the graphic title, maybe something more subtle like the menu button text being a different colour / the rollover font? Or do you think that might get confusing?

I agree with the ideas on the videos - having them popup in a separate window would be neater, and I could fit more (links) on a single page without it looking overcrowded.

Thanks again!

Page title suggestion seems OK - as long as its titled in the browser... just to be sure. :)

Let us know when you update it, if you decide to. :)

• Advertisement

The double whammy of uni.cc domain forwarding and x10hosting.com hosting means I cant change the pagetitle, its either the forwarded url thanks to uni.cc or the location of the html file on x10hosting. I guess I can hand in the offline version, which does show the pagetitles.

If you can edit the HTMLs <head> tags, you can assign the <title> tags to each page respectively. Shouldnt be a problem.

If you need hosting that isnt a bitch, get in touch and ill get you some sorted at no charge.

The <title> tags are all written properly, it works fine offline, but the host assigns an ugly filepath, and the url redirector just shows the redirecting address. It's not a major problem for now anyway, the offline version is the only one that really needs to work perfectly.

Thanks for the offer of hosting, but I'll make do as I am for now, just got everything sorted on x10 and it may yet turn out less bitchly than it appears.

Oh, I've changed the youtube videos to popup windows if you want a gander. The page loads quicker now and looks more organised, I think its better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BRENSH

I personally think that you should not set all you text to be centered. It should be set to justified instead. This will spread the text out. It looks more professional.

Otherwise your design is excellent. Great work!!!

Advertisement