Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Premiership: Ze Weekend Thread, 3rd & 4th

• 01-11-2007 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

Biteen bored, so here are the fixtures for the weekend. Goes without saying what the glamour tie is ;) Should provide ample entertainment

Saturday, 03 November 2007
    Arsenal v Man Utd, 12:45 Draw
    Aston Villa v Derby, 15:00 Villa
    Blackburn v Liverpool, 17:15 Liverpool
    Everton v Birmingham, 15:00 Everton
    Fulham v Reading, 15:00 Reading
    Middlesbrough v Tottenham, 15:00 Boro
    Newcastle v Portsmouth, 15:00 Draw
    Wigan v Chelsea, 15:00 Chelsea

Sunday, 04 November 2007
    West Ham v Bolton, 16:00 West Ham

Monday, 05 November 2007
    Man City v Sunderland, 20:00 Draw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I have a feeling that the Arsenal - United match will be the most exciting tie between the teams yet since the days of Vieira - Keane. Hasnt been an entertaining fixture since those 2 left, but with the form that these teams are on at the moment, this could be a thrilling game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Middlesbrough v Tottenham, 15:00 Draw
    Newcastle v Portsmouth, 15:00 Newcastle

Sunday, 04 November 2007
    West Ham v Bolton, 16:00 Draw

Monday, 05 November 2007
    Man City v Sunderland, 20:00 Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Fulham v Reading, 15:00 Draw
    Middlesbrough v Tottenham, 15:00 Tottenham

Sunday, 04 November 2007

Monday, 05 November 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Fence-sitters!

Arsenal v Man Utd, 12:45
    Aston Villa v Derby, 15:00
    Blackburn v Liverpool, 17:15
    Everton v Birmingham, 15:00
    Fulham v Reading, 15:00
    Middlesbrough v Tottenham, 15:00
    Newcastle v Portsmouth,
    Wigan v Chelsea, 15:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Arsenal v Man Utd, 12:45 Arsenal
    Blackburn v Liverpool, 17:15 Blackburn
    Fulham v Reading, 15:00 Draw

Sunday, 04 November 2007

Monday, 05 November 2007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Arsenal v Man Utd, 12:45 Not touching with a 10-foot clown pole :)
    Aston Villa v Derby, 15:00 Home
    Blackburn v Liverpool, 17:15 Draw
    Everton v Birmingham, 15:00 Home
    Fulham v Reading, 15:00 Home
    Middlesbrough v Tottenham, 15:00 Away
    Newcastle v Portsmouth, 15:00 Home
    Wigan v Chelsea, 15:00 Away

Sunday, 04 November 2007

West Ham v Bolton, 16:00 Home

Monday, 05 November 2007

Man City v Sunderland, 20:00 Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Apart from Villa and Chelsea I think the ties could go any way.

Mike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Middlesbrough v Spurs, 15:00 Spurs

Sunday, 04 November 2007

Monday, 05 November 2007
    Man City v Sunderland, 20:00 City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Arsenal - Man Yoo is going to be a cracker. The Emirates pitch will lend itself well to the style of both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh it's really gona be a great game, I've no doubt about that. I think United have enough to just win this. I think last year they were unlucky not to win with those two lates goals, and will want to make up for it. That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Arsenal win. What's great about this game is that neither team are gona go all cautious and boring, both team want to win at al costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Arsenal v Man Utd, 12:45.........................Draw
    Aston Villa v Derby, 15:00........................Home
    Blackburn v Liverpool, 17:15.....................Draw
    Everton v Birmingham, 15:00....................Home
    Fulham v Reading, 15:00..........................Draw
    Middlesbrough v Tottenham, 15:00............Away
    Newcastle v Portsmouth, 15:00................ Draw
    Wigan v Chelsea, 15:00...........................Away

Sunday, 04 November 2007

West Ham v Bolton, 16:00.......................Home

Monday, 05 November 2007

Man City v Sunderland, 20:00..................Home

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I personally predict a scrappy 0-0 draw at the Emirates tomorrow. Its going to be a terrible game. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Archimedes wrote: »
    I have a feeling that the Arsenal - United match will be the most exciting tie between the teams yet since the days of Vieira - Keane. Hasnt been an entertaining fixture since those 2 left, but with the form that these teams are on at the moment, this could be a thrilling game.
    Arsenal - Man Yoo is going to be a cracker. The Emirates pitch will lend itself well to the style of both teams.
    PHB wrote: »
    Yeh it's really gona be a great game, I've no doubt about that. I think United have enough to just win this. I think last year they were unlucky not to win with those two lates goals, and will want to make up for it. That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Arsenal win. What's great about this game is that neither team are gona go all cautious and boring, both team want to win at al costs.

Damn you all to hell!! I'm going to it and now ye've all gone and jinxed it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think the Arsenal game will be a tense affair where the 2 teams will play out a drab 0-0 draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There will be no home win this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Everton and Villa would look like good bets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Middlesbrough v Tottenham, 15:00 Spurs
    Newcastle v Portsmouth, 15:00 Newky

Sunday, 04 November 2007

Monday, 05 November 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Trivia: When was the last time in the Premiership that there were no Home wins in a set of fixtures (10 games over a weekend)...?

I dont actually know, I just want to :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Arsenal v Man Utd, 12:45 DRAW
    Aston Villa v Derby, 15:00 HOME
    Blackburn v Liverpool, 17:15 HOME
    Everton v Birmingham, 15:00 HOME
    Fulham v Reading, 15:00 DRAW
    Middlesbrough v Tottenham, 15:00 AWAY
    Newcastle v Portsmouth, 15:00 DRAW
    Wigan v Chelsea, 15:00 AWAY

Sunday, 04 November 2007
    West Ham v Bolton, 16:00 DRAW

Monday, 05 November 2007
    Man City v Sunderland, 20:00 HOME

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

6-6 draw at Emirates tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Arsenal to be found out tomorrow..

They're punching above their weight imo and all it takes is one result to send them tumbling (just like the invincibles at OT a few years ago).

With Tevez snapping at the heels of defenders, Utd now have a defending attacker for the first time in years. So Arsenal's free flowing game will be broken up no matter what direction they play the ball.

Provided Utd get nasty in midfield, they should have no problems getting a draw at worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

smemon wrote: »
    Arsenal to be found out tomorrow..

They're punching above their weight imo and all it takes is one result to send them tumbling (just like the invincibles at OT a few years ago).

With Tevez snapping at the heels of defenders, Utd now have a defending attacker for the first time in years. So Arsenal's free flowing game will be broken up no matter what direction they play the ball.

Provided Utd get nasty in midfield, they should have no problems getting a draw at worst.

there is just so i do not agree with here....

1. This arsenal team have already shown this season they have more steel about them then previous years.

2. Defending attacker for the first time in years? Did you miss all those seasons with Rooney in the team, or the occasions Smith managed to get a game up front?

3. Draw at the worst? Arsenal are on top form and playing great football; they will give United as tough a game as any this year.

4. Provided United get nasty in midfield? A midfield containing (probably) Ronaldo, Anderson, Hargreaves and Giggs.... only one of them really has it in them, and despite getting great results against Arsenal in the past with high tempo, hustling games (4-2 and highbury) we were posititively cautious in midfield on both occassions last season and lost both games.

This will be a very tough game, and United will have to hope Hargreaves, above all, has a great game, otherwise Hleb and Fabregas could find a lot of space.

One big thing in United's favour is van Persie won't be playing, and he is a massive loss to the gooners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

sooooooooooooo excited bout Utd/Arse! :D:D:D

I'll go with a Unireh win. The defenders are aiming for a clean sheet and I'd say they will be fighting really hard for it, but I don't think they'll manage it. Probably concede 1.

And our attackers are really getting their form. Ronaldo has been having a mare for the last few matches, and I think he'll be pumped for this. Dunno bout Giggs. I have a feeling Anderson could score tomorrow for some reason...

Rooney and Tevez... savage.

But the Arsenal defenders aren't a walk-over. Clichy is really fast, so he could be a challenge for Ronaldo. Having said that, he likes to get up forward, so we could catch them on the counter!

eeek!!! Scary!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Tauren wrote: »
    there is just so i do not agree with here....

1. This arsenal team have already shown this season they have more steel about them then previous years.

2. Defending attacker for the first time in years? Did you miss all those seasons with Rooney in the team, or the occasions Smith managed to get a game up front?

3. Draw at the worst? Arsenal are on top form and playing great football; they will give United as tough a game as any this year.

4. Provided United get nasty in midfield? A midfield containing (probably) Ronaldo, Anderson, Hargreaves and Giggs.... only one of them really has it in them, and despite getting great results against Arsenal in the past with high tempo, hustling games (4-2 and highbury) we were posititively cautious in midfield on both occassions last season and lost both games.

This will be a very tough game, and United will have to hope Hargreaves, above all, has a great game, otherwise Hleb and Fabregas could find a lot of space.

One big thing in United's favour is van Persie won't be playing, and he is a massive loss to the gooners.

Ah dont worry. Smemon has been full of **** for years so him coming out now with this sort of stuff brings me back to the well 3-4 years ago...
    I agree with most of what Tauren says.

Although a loss would hurt their confidence they will bounce back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

4-2 UTD :D

Hopefully going to be a savage game...but I have thought that a few times aver the last few seasons and they usually turn out to be pretty drab affairs.....

UTD will miss Scholes big time
    Arsenal will miss Van Persie big time

A lot will depend on how Rio/Vidic handle Adabayor...he hass done very well against UTD in the past, if UTD can stop him holding up and distributing ball Arsenal will suffer as both midfields will be packed all day long....

Almunia in goals....woohoo:D

I think a win is really important for United, not beacuse it's a 6 pointer, but because Arsenal have yet to really have to deal with a defeat, so I'm hopeful they'll go into a bit of a slump.

Arsenals defence in the center if rock solid, Toure and Gallas are imo one of, if not the best, center defensive partnerships in the game. They also have the pace to keep up with United's attack. United are gona need to attack not just with pace but with real percision. I think we'll need a moment of magic from somebody, not sure if it'll be Anderson, personally I think it'll be Ronaldo.

Arsenals grit is underrated. I think United are a more physical team than Arsenal, but not hugely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Arsenal v Man Utd, 12:45 Utd
    Everton v Birmingham, 15:00 Draw

Sunday, 04 November 2007

Monday, 05 November 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i know i said it alrady, but it feels good to type it, im going to it.. brilliantt

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lucky you. I'll be watching it in the footballing-hotspot that is the Merrion Inn. Woo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

PHB wrote: »
    not beacuse it's a 6 pointer
    Too right it's not a six pointer. Theres only three points for a win, irrespective of who gets them. Comments like that are only impressive to those who are weak at math or logic.
    Arsenal to sneak it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Trivia: When was the last time in the Premiership that there were no Home wins in a set of fixtures (10 games over a weekend)...?

I'd wager never?
    ...no matter what the fixtures the odds would be huge!

Too right it's not a six pointer. Theres only three points for a win, irrespective of who gets them. Comments like that are only impressive to those who are weak at math or logic.

lol.

I think what's interesting about this game is that by judging on the pre-match comments, both Wenger and Fergie seem very very confident and expect a victory. Gona be fun :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

if Arsenal score first we are in for a high scoring game - at least 4 goals. If Utd score first they may end up winning 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Arsenal v Man Utd, 12:45 Home
    Aston Villa v Derby, 15:00 Home
    Blackburn v Liverpool, 17:15 Home
    Everton v Birmingham, 15:00 Home
    Fulham v Reading, 15:00 Home
    Newcastle v Portsmouth, 15:00 Away
    Wigan v Chelsea, 15:00 Away

Sunday, 04 November 2007
    West Ham v Bolton, 16:00 Home

Monday, 05 November 2007

Man City v Sunderland, 20:00 Home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Tauren wrote: »

No they haven't. We're in November and they've coasted through so far, in fairness, better than anyone would ahve expected. We'll see how much steel they have once results start turning against them, which will inevitably happen sooner rather than later.

Smith was never a regular. I was a huge fan of him but he was always a backup striker and ended up in midfield.

Not to mention Utd.. 16 goals in the last 4 games and level on points with Arsenal despite having their worst start to a season in years ;)

Utd won't be worried about Arsenal too much. The string of 1-0's early on shows Utd are more than capable of defending (provided Vidic is there!).

It's the Rooney/Tevez partnership that will make or break Utd tomorrow. The supply will be there, we know that. If they're on form it's hard to see Utd losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

There might not be a Tevez/Rooney partnership if Fergie decides to go 451

Hopefully not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    I personally predict a scrappy 0-0 draw at the Emirates tomorrow. Its going to be a terrible game. :)

+1

kdjac

Not to mention Utd.. 16 goals in the last 4 games and level on points with Arsenal despite having their worst start to a season in years

Actually, it's our afaik joint st start in about 4 years, last year being the same, and being better than the other two years.
    Utd won't be worried about Arsenal too much. The string of 1-0's early on shows Utd are more than capable of defending (provided Vidic is there!).

Our defense hasn't been put to a real test yet, not a team of Arsenal's talent anyway. They've yet to show they can not mess up like they did last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I reckon there will be either two or three. City should really be a shoe-in.

I'm pretty sure there was one in the last 12 months, remember seeing something like that and being pretty surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Arsenal will win 2-1 I feel which saddens me to say. Fabregas is the key man and I feel he will boss the game and prove the deciding factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I notice this thread is for the 3rd and 4th. What about the big game on the 5th? The thought of that wordthatshallnotbesaid-bag Keane winning at our place scares me. The boys better be up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Arsenal v Man Utd, 12:45 Arsenal
    Middlesbrough v Tottenham, 15:00 Boro

Sunday, 04 November 2007

Monday, 05 November 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I haven't actually done any predictions in these threads before :p, so let's see how I get on ;)

Arsenal v Man Utd, 12:45 Unireh (hope I didn't jinx it!!!)
    Middlesbrough v Tottenham, 15:00 Spurs

Sunday, 04 November 2007

Monday, 05 November 2007

well I've gone back as far as 2004 in searching and not found one yet!

A lot of occurrences of only one home team winning and that was usually arsenal too, lol :)
    2004-04-11
    Arsenal 0 - 0 Newcastle United
    2004-04-10
    Birmingham City 1 - 2 Manchester United
    Chelsea 0 - 0 Middlesbrough
    Blackburn Rovers 1 - 2 Leeds United
    Bolton Wanderers 2 - 2 Aston Villa
    Charlton Athletic 1 - 1 Portsmouth
    Leicester City 0 - 2 Fulham
    Manchester City 3 - 3 Wolverhampton Wanderers

thats the closest i have found, but its not a complete 10 fixtures
    2007-03-04
    Bolton Wanderers 1 - 2 Blackburn Rovers
    West Ham United 3 - 4 Tottenham Hotspur
    2007-03-03
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Manchester United
    Newcastle United 0 - 0 Middlesbrough
    Fulham 1 - 1 Aston Villa
    Watford 2 - 2 Charlton Athletic
    Arsenal 2 - 1 Reading - damn you arsenal for winning and ruining the buzz!
    Manchester City 0 - 1 Wigan Athletic
    Sheffield United 1 - 1 Everton
    Portsmouth 0 - 2 Chelsea

^^ the last time only one home team won in a premiership weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

it's these big games you really notice how bad skys build up is it's almost comical

is there an internet tv stream of the arsenal game ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i got out of bed for this :(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

KdjaCL wrote: »
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i got out of bed for this :(

kdjac

yeah, disapointed Fabregas isn't playing

• Advertisement