Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Premiership: Ze Weekend Thread, 3rd & 4th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

PHB wrote: »
    So considering Ronaldo got an assist and a goal against Arsenal, will people take this as an example of him doing it against the big teams?

Eh no. He got a tap in that Carrick would have put away if he wasnt there. He lost the ball more times than I care to count and he didnt do a whole lot else.

Evra was prob Utds best player overall, Anderson was immense in the 1st half but faded in the 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Keane and Berbatov on the bench for Spurs.

Ramos is the new Rafa. Rotation ftw :D

Maybe they should make a new column on the Premiership table?
    Played W L D For Against Number of Players rotated Points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Sizzler wrote: »
    A superb call by the linesman, I dont think even the players realised it crossed the line as nobody seemed to appeal :confused:

heh, I did. must have been the only one in the pub who copped what was happening when the ref blew up. everyone's depth perception sucks.

fairly impressed with Anderson's very good defensive display, excellent call by Fergue, nullified Fabregas for a lot of the game. absolutely delighted though when that second goal went in, 2 - 2 was the fair result i think. A real war of attrition like old between the two, good to have Arsenal Man U as the game again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

And then got a goal and an assist. He also put in that beautiful ball which Giggs fluffed. He didn't play that amazing, but he's a winger in a game where he was doubled marked, against Arsenal, and he got a goal and an assist. What more could you want.

p.s. aside from that though, Clichy really impressed me today. He did very well in containing him .

thought clichy was overrated?

Its Ronaldo who's the overrated one, doesnt understand the word defending. But of course his goals make up for doing feck all as usual and the sun will give him 11 out of 10. Your getting worse than Mr.Alan/Millersangel and thats bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Good game, fairly even.

Utd were happy to defend and counter attack, disappointed with that, but then again they were away from home, against a side unbeaten and top of the league, so perhaps i was expecting too much.

Anderson has always played a defensive role, anytime i've seen him, no suprises to see him take Fabregas out of the game.

Clichy/Ronaldo debate was put to rest imo with Ronaldo setting up the first and scoring the 2nd. Ronaldo didn't play well, didn't get much of the ball but at the end of the day he's still played a huge role in both goals.

Still think Utd are the more rounded side. Had they been more aggresive it could have been a different story. It's all nice and cosy now at the Emirates, but i've a feeling one defeat is all it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yet again a match involving two top Premiership teams is an ultra negative affair.
    Zero shots on target in the first half an hour.
    Very poor match overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

0-2 to Pompey. Pamarot and Benjani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

1-0 Chelsea. Lampard from close range, no deflection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

1-0 Chelsea. Lampard from close range, no deflection

hehe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

newcastle WTF WT WTF

3-0 down

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

eirebhoy wrote: »
    0-2 to Pompey. Pamarot and Benjani.

Wonder will big Sam be looking for a new Job soon.
    Maybe not today,maybe not tomorrow....
    Actually I'll hold fire on that till tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

hah, typical Ronaldo to pop up with a goal - Clichy had him in his back pocket all game. I've never seen Ronaldo having to track back so much, looking like he was lost! :D

We dominated the second half, a United win would have been a travesty.

Van persie back by the end of the month to bring some more cutting edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

3-1. Campbell og.

Popped up with a goal and an assist, you mean...

Great defending though from Clichy, apart from letting Ronaldo have a big say in both goals...

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Looks like another goalfest involving Pompey :D

Chelsea 2 up belleti

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Smemon was dead right; Arsenal were found out today. This Arsenal side doesn't know when it is beaten. I do like the 'Ronaldo scored one and assisted one; thus he owned Clichy' logic... very amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Clichy did well against him defensively whenever Ronaldo had the ball. But Ronaldos' movement got the better of Clichy. Those two great crosses which were whipped in, one of which was an assist, were balls played almost first time from passes to him. His goal was a great goal, and his pace and movement got him in front of Clichy. The fact that Carrick might have put it away anyway means **** all to be honest, all it means is that Gilberto/Flamini/Fabregas/whoever was meant to be marking him, were also done by Carricks run.

I'm not saying he owned Clichy (infact I specifically stated I was impressed with Clichy) all I'm saying is that to all the people who constantly say Ronaldo doesn't do it in big games, goal and assist against the league leaders.

Ronaldo's not on the pitch to defend. He's on it to attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

adox wrote: »
    To be fair he was annonymous for most of the game.

Hopefully he'll be anonymous for every game left this season then;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

8 goals in the first 15 minutes of the afternoon games. Probably gonna have to wait till the last 15 before we get any more

Owch. Cacapa crap defending for 2 of the Pompy goals is subbed off after 18 minutes. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

"David Goodwilly" just scored for Raith. I kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bent scored :eek:

kdjac

elbow316 wrote: »
    "David Goodwilly" just scored for Raith. I kid you not.

lol, thats almost as good as the new zealand head of state Sir Malcolm ItchyAnus! :)

oh yeah! 1,000 posts on the soccer boards! yay for me :)

Bent,Goodwilly and Itchyanus, sounds like an episode of Family guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As an almost neutral the United/Arsenal game was a cracker. Neither team deserved to lose and it was a fascinating game with some of the best players in the world on show. Really good advert for the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

4-1 to Pompey

Kranjcar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DaveMcG wrote: »
    4-1 to Pompey

Kranjcar

Taylor OG I hear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Smemon was dead right; Arsenal were found out today. This Arsenal side doesn't know when it is beaten. I do like the 'Ronaldo scored one and assisted one; thus he owned Clichy' logic... very amusing.

As i said before who really gives a **** what he says.

I don't get this Anderson played well malarky. He started OKish but then faded very badly. There was a reason he got subbed! and there was a reason Arsenal dominated possesion with 56% of it! Yea cesc was $hit, might aswell pawn him off to Birmingham...:rolleyes:

The Untied Midfield was crap. Giggs and hargreves barely touched the ball.
    Missplaced paces all over the place.
    They did defend well though and they do seem to have a cutting edge that a Arsenal with out Van Persie dont seem to have.....yet!

Fairish result but overall I think Arsenal will be disappointed not to win when they look back on the whole match. They missed Van Persie big time!

Alumina... he wont cut it for me. I think Lehmann needs to leave January and a world class keeper brought in.
    Arsenal are also short in quality strikers at the moment. Not sure we have the strength we need to battle on all fronts.

Wigan away next. 3 points a must!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

So considering Ronaldo got an assist and a goal against Arsenal, will people take this as an example of him doing it against the big teams?

Not often I find myself agreeing with something about Ronaldo but I do. Here's why; if that was Kaka/Henry/Ronaldinho that scored and assisted they'd be held up as a genius. You don't always have to have an imperious game to have a major influence on it. Remember Cantona? He might do nothing for 89 minutes and then....

Reminds me of Henry scoring a last minute header in the same fixture last year and getting the man of the match award for it despite having played muck for the match.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Not often I find myself agreeing with something about Ronaldo but I do. Here's why; if that was Kaka/Henry/Ronaldinho that scored and assisted they'd be held up as a genius. You don't always have to have an imperious game to have a major influence on it. Remember Cantona? He might do nothing for 89 minutes and then....

Reminds me of Henry scoring a last minute header in the same fixture last year and getting the man of the match award for it despite having played muck for the match.
    That was a f*cking painful loss, lol.... damn you Henry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Oh and great spot by the linesman. They often get critisied but in this case they deserve mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

First goal of the Arsenal-United game, own goal or Rooney?

The bookies haven't decided whether they are paying out on Rooney or Fabregas as first scorer yet, I've a fiver on the latter but do actually think it was an own goal. The ball seemed to be heading across goal before it hit Gallas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Everton left it very late this evening. 2 goals in last 4 mins in injury time, they should have wrapped it up earlier.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    First goal of the Arsenal-United game, own goal or Rooney?

The bookies haven't decided whether they are paying out on Rooney or Fabregas as first scorer yet, I've a fiver on the latter but do actually think it was an own goal. The ball seemed to be heading across goal before it hit Gallas.
    Clearly Gallas OG... Rooney scuffed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Would it matter? Even if Rooney isn't credited, Fabregas wasn't first scorer.

Blackburn 0-0 Liverpool 33 mins zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kuyt , what an awful player. Probably one of the worst players on the pitch. Another Heskey, runs around a lot and invariably gives his all every game but hes never going to get 20+ goals every season.

One of the stats thrown out, 4 touches in the first 25 mins :eek:

Thats just how the betting is done I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Yeah same on Betfair. Ch-ching!

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    Kuyt , what an awful player. Probably one of the worst players on the pitch. Another Heskey, runs around a lot and invariably gives his all every game but hes never going to get 20+ goals every season.

Hes just ran into 30 yards of open space and all he had to do was square the ball and he couldnt even manage that :rolleyes: DREADFUL.

I have to say I'm very impressed with some of Blackburns play today, really do look like they might be able to put in a challenge for the CL

Well I think the other two have been dead ons, that is a ball to hand situation with raised hands already. They can really go either way not just cause the refs don't see it but because of interpretation.

Looks like it's going 4-4-2, with Gerrard on the right, Kewell on the left, Kuyt and Crouch up front

hahahhahaha, what a horrible miss from Kuyt

hahahhahaha, what a horrible miss from Kuyt

Are you surprised :D

Gerrard must be embarrassed to have him play in the same team.

I must say I was impressed with Gerrard today, he showed a lot more of the simple passes rather than the hollywood balls. He kept the game flowing. The top 3 are shaping up, Liverpool just keep droppoing points.

• Advertisement

Kuyt was horrible! though Blackburn should have been at least 1 up going into the break. maybe it all balanced out in the end, lol

Advertisement