Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To buy a car at this time of year?

Options
  • 01-11-2007 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Im contemplating changing the car - my question is, would I be better off to buy now or wait until the beginning of next year?

I dont want to buy a (used) car now and see the same model advertised as 3 grand cheaper in January because it's 'older', does this happen? I know there would be better selection in January as people buy new cars and trade in their old ones also. (and indeed people buy the exact same car again for only 4k extra cos the yr on the plate isnt the same as the current yr anymore :rolleyes: but that's a different thread! :) )

Many thanks,
    V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Velocitee wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Im contemplating changing the car - my question is, would I be better off to buy now or wait until the beginning of next year?

I dont want to buy a (used) car now and see the same model advertised as 3 grand cheaper in January because it's 'older', does this happen? I know there would be better selection in January as people buy new cars and trade in their old ones also. (and indeed people buy the exact same car again for only 4k extra cos the yr on the plate isnt the same as the current yr anymore :rolleyes: but that's a different thread! :) )

Many thanks,
    V

I think you've answered your own question - any car you might buy now will be a year older in trade terms come Jan. 1st next, daft and all as that might be ! Equally, by waiting until Jan., you ought to have an even bigger selection of used cars to choose from, epecially if you're planning to buy from a dealer as distinct from a private seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

One thing I noticed following ads on carzone last year was that some cars became temptingly cheap in November/December (when there are very little sales going on) and their prices actually went UP again in Jan/Feb.

These would have been large-ish older estate cars, so no great sellers anyway.

My suspiscion is that If you're prepared to drive a hard bargain at this time of year, you might just get one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

peasant wrote: »
    My suspiscion is that If you're prepared to drive a hard bargain at this time of year, you might just get one :D

Indeed, I bought my current car nearly two years ago in the start of december.

Bargain hard, chance your arm, but don't be afraid to turn around and walk off the forecourt. There will be a bigger selection in the new year, but there'll be many more buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think it really depends on how eager the garage are to shift the car in question. Some will price the car in late November or December close to the price it will fetch in January to shift it fast before the mad influx of trade-ins against new cars arrive in January.

For example there are great deals to be had on 07 ex hire cars at the moment. There are still plenty of them sitting on forecourts which is a little unusual this year as they usually sell quickly enough once they return to the dealer after the end of the lease. Large dealers may have up to a dozen or more of these car sitting on their forecourts depreciating quickly as the end of the year approaches so will be that bit more eager to move them on.

I bought a 2005 Focus diesel a week ago and got a very good deal on it. Wasn't in a hurry to buy but the right car came along at the right price so I made the move.

I'd say shop around and see what deals are out there now, just remember with a trade-in your old car will also be a year older in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I am looking to buy a Toyota Yaris soon, as my first car, they are my favourite car and are meant to be good for a first car. Will these be cheaper in January? What should I be loking for in terms of years/mileage? I am hopingt to spend less than say €6000.

Also how much can you bargain down at a dealer's? If a car is advertised at €5,500 how much will you generally be able to bargain it down to?

• Advertisement
Advertisement