Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help: interactive web presentation of survey data

Options
  • 01-11-2007 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi boarders,

I have an interesting project which I would like some technical advice on. Could be a very interesting and potentially high profile project for a bright comp science graduate student with good information design skills.

Basically, what I would like to do is to present data from a large international survey on a module of map-based webpages ... I have an interesting prototype based on xml and flash for the front end. What I need now is some advice about how to get data from an SPSS data file (SPSS is the statistics programme used for storing a lot of survey datasets) into xml format.

Payment is not out of the question but in the first place I'd like to talk / mail anybody who thinks they have the relevant skills or background.

Thanks in advance,
    Stan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

hey,
    well first you would need to know about the file format that the program uses.
    Is it a proprietary format? Or just something simple like a csv file?
    Once you know how the data is arranged in the file, it shouldn't be too difficult to extract whatever data you need for what ever purpose.

Just reading up on wikipedia, it says the program already allows you to export the data into a number of different formats? Is that correct?
    Statistical output is to a proprietary file format (*.spo file, supporting pivot tables) for which, in addition to the in-package viewer, a stand-alone reader is provided. The proprietary ouput can be exported to text or Microsoft word. Alternatively output can be captured as data (using the OMS command) as text, tab-delimited text, HTML, XML, SPSS dataset or a variety of graphic image formats (JPEG, PNG, BMP and EMF).

Also, apparently MS Excel supports SPS files? So that could be a way around it.
    Could you provide a sample?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Advertisement