Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chinese take away in Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

LOL nah that was a couple of years ago, it was to Oceanwave in Salthill.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just got take-away from Golden Rickshaw. It was really nice. It was really like my local chinese in Cork so I was happy. I've been trying to find a decent place since I moved here in September.

Have to compliment the girl who took my order. When I gave her my address and directions she actually took down the directions and gave them to the driver, as opposed to just giving him the address and allowing him to get lost. I wish other take-aways would do that!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Alessandra wrote: »
    the Bamboo place on Dominick St is lovely and really cheap. They are fast as well.
    A lot of people rag on them because they have a somewhat "chequered" history with the Western Health Board. I however love their stuff. They do the best chicken chow mein in town.

Do they still do that jumbo spring roll that's a meal in itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo, is the chicken really chicken though? Proper chicken like....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Robbo, is the chicken really chicken though? Proper chicken like....
    Chicken are raised in inhumane conditions, but seagulls are free range.

wasn't there one in phisborough called the Pui Quay ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Robbo wrote: »
    A lot of people rag on them because they have a somewhat "chequered" history with the Western Health Board. I however love their stuff. They do the best chicken chow mein in town.

I heard about that Spring Roll, have yet to sample! I think the place is under new management? Besides, many of the "fine" establishments of this town have questionable standards by all accounts. Chinese restaurants are easy targets for criticism. Myself and my friends eat in Bamboo way more than we should and have always found the food lovely. Just cos it looks a little sketchy... 7euro 20 for a dish and rice! Frienly staff as well as speedy service. The other place across the way is to be avoided though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

the golden mountain in menlo is my local.
    cant complain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

Ming Gardens absolutely fab!
    But I think Curry House is the best value!
    Just ate a yummy one and they only took 20 mins to deliver to the other end of the city.. mmmmmmMMMMM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Da Tang Noodle House on Middle St. do takeaway. Their eat-in stuff is fabulous, not the usual sugary sticky wobbly chinese food you get everywhere else. I'm assuming the take-away is good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Fletch123 wrote: »
    I've been going to Golden Rickshaw for years and never had a bad takeaway from there. And they give you loads of fresh veg in no matter what you order which I like (doesn't seem as unhealthy that way, less guilt!).
    janeybabe wrote: »
    I just got take-away from Golden Rickshaw. It was really nice. It was really like my local chinese in Cork so I was happy. I've been trying to find a decent place since I moved here in September.

Have to compliment the girl who took my order. When I gave her my address and directions she actually took down the directions and gave them to the driver, as opposed to just giving him the address and allowing him to get lost. I wish other take-aways would do that!

Co-signed. Haven't had a bad takeaway meal yet and have been going there for several years. Really love it's Sweet and sour Chicken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Cant believe no one mentioned Emperor City on Dominick Street.. Has to be the best..

I love Da Tang.. authentic lovely food well worth checking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Robbo wrote: »

Think the first chinese food I ever had was from there... They had a nice chicken and cashewnut thing that I thought was gorgeous. Mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

ErnieBert wrote: »
    So, where is the best Chinese take away in Galway?

I like the one in Oranmore that is upstairs. I can't remember its' name but it is quality. They don't use MSG. I live on the other side of the city so it's miles out of the way.

Canton Cottage in Salthill was the best for years but there seemed to be a change of ownership and a change of name to Canton Kitchen but it just went downhill.

Any other suggestions?

Not sure of the best but I can tell you the worst- The one in Ballybane beside supervalue. Utter Scutter. Cant even think of the name, my brain must have erased that from my memory.

A feed there = Many hours on the toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not sure of the best but I can tell you the worst- The one in Ballybane beside supervalue. Utter Scutter. Cant even think of the name, my brain must have erased that from my memory.

+1 to that

i used to really like the one near cuba but then it closed :(

golden rickshaw is my main one now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nycman

I have to recommend the Mill Palace in Oughterard. The finest Chinese restaurant in all the land,and the prices aren't bad either. Its a great place for a special occasion dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 franj

I would have to say Asian Fusion, the one upstairs in Oranmore is by far the best, especially if you used to be a fan of Royal Villa that used to be in town, same people. Its actually a restaurant, but great for takeaway - plus they do deliveries now!!!! I like it cos ya can get stuff you wouldnt elsewhere, and its all savage!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭swimgal08

Emperor City down at the bottom of domnick street its got nicest snack box going unreal ...mmmmmmmmmm ..

well worth a try !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Back before Oranmore got all modern, I used to go to the Golden Rickshaw for my Chinese fix. If I'm ever in town and looking for a pre-beering feed I always go to the Rickshaw. Never disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Back before Oranmore got all modern, I used to go to the Golden Rickshaw for my Chinese fix. If I'm ever in town and looking for a pre-beering feed I always go to the Rickshaw. Never disappointed.

Cheater :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Carraig

Personally I think the Best Curry in the world is in the Bamboo takeaway in Dominick street...but the rest of their food is terrible.
    l
    The spring rolls in the Bamboo are amazing - a meal in themselves. I don't ever get anything else from there.
    The Curry House at Cooke's Corner is, as people have said, very good and good value. The Villa in Salthill has great Salt & Pepper Squid but it's a bit pricey.
    Best Chinese Curry Chips are from that place in Mary Street.

- Jesus, I'm starving now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Cheater :pac:

More like, Survivor! :cool: A man needs his sustenance :pac:... Nom nom nom
    Carraig wrote: »
    Jesus, I'm starving now!

Damn... Me Too... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

China Court (Ballybane) does a Spicy Szechuan Beef that is very very good. Best Chinese I've had in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 poshie

anyone remember China Inn down near Buskers?
    Great place but it closed down. Can't remember what it is now since i moved to Dublin. They did a lovely Black Bean sauce.Ahhhh memories.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Have to mention the Wong Sze (called the "wrong size" by most for obvious reasons) in Oranmore, where the Moorings used to be. Friend recommended them so myself and Mrs Fozzie bear went in before christmas for a take away and it was fab and quick service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

rarnes1 wrote: »

Another +1 here, even the chips where terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

eyresquare wrote: »
    i used to really like the one near cuba but then it closed :(

Think they just moved out to Wellpark because it is the exact same menu in both places and they taste the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Have to mention the Wong Sze (called the "wrong size" by most for obvious reasons) in Oranmore, where the Moorings used to be. Friend recommended them so myself and Mrs Fozzie bear went in before christmas for a take away and it was fab and quick service too.

I'll second that. Wong Sze is the dog's bollocks. Great food and really cheap. Main courses are only €7 and they sometimes don't charge for rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Cant believe no one mentioned Emperor City on Dominick Street.. Has to be the best..

Agreed.
    Great place/

THe one in Cappagh Road is also excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Me and My friends have sampled alot of places all over galway trying to answer this question!

My friend loves Golden Rickshaw, i dont.
    Another likes China Garden in Wellpark and have to say i agree!
    When I lived in Doughiska Chans was quite good
    Ming Garden, no idea they did take away,find their food rather bland
    I hated Da Tang
    Recently the place on dominic street proved rather good

However always end up back at China garden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

My favourite is the Curry House. Nice food, reasonably priced.

The worst I've had so far was the Golden Rikshaw. Mankiest food ever. Will not go back there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement