Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chinese take away in Galway?

Options

Comments

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    the golden mountain in menlo is my local.
    cant complain :D
    imagine how good it would be if they fixed that door :P love their 4 in 1 tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

MSG-free: Best places in Galway City are The Asian Tea House and Da Tang.

Others (I'm unaware of MSG status, so we'll presume they use it, and outside the city): The Royal Villa in Claregalway, and Ken's in Gort and Loughrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

def canton cottage imo dont use msg either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

imagine how good it would be if they fixed that door :P love their 4 in 1 tho.

lol.
    haven't been in it in months as it's no longer local. The door adds character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 miss polly

Mill Palace in Oughterard still stands to be the best chinese I have ever had! Such great food!

<snipped some libel stuff, Magnus>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Xiney wrote: »
    China Court (Ballybane) does a Spicy Szechuan Beef that is very very good. Best Chinese I've had in Ireland!

China court has gone down hill like a rolling stone too fast to gather moss.

Had it a couple of weeks ago and a while before that again, rotten both times.

I mean, I couldn't eat it. At all.

Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

We've switched to Chan's in Doughiska (easier to get to now for us) and they're owned by the same people... and it does seem to not be as nice as before, but certain items on the menu are still good so we stick to them for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Asian fusion in oranmore- really nice not greasy at all!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I like Ming Garden. House special chow mein. Two thumbs up.
    Also the name.
    Ming the merciless + Flash Gordon. Accidental genius. That chans place, I used eat there a bit when I lived in Doughiska and it really has gone downhill of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laura92XxX

kens in loughrea is to die for and well worth the drive...:)

• Advertisement

I somehow doubt that there is a chinese takeaway on the planet that is worth a one hour commute...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Xiney wrote: »
    I somehow doubt that there is a chinese takeaway on the planet that is worth a one hour commute...

What about the world's cheapest michelin starred restaurant?
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/good-living/michelins-cheapest-star/2009/11/30/1259429326061.html
    OK it's a teeny bit more than an hour and definitely out of the city boundaries.

It has 20 seats - therefore it is not strictly a takeaway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

bills wrote: »
    Asian fusion in oranmore- really nice not greasy at all!!

Have been very disappointed by any of the takeaway we've got froM
    there:(

Anybody know what the other Chinese takeaways in Oranmore are like?? We often do a night with friends out there and get food en route to bring with us. Def won't be getting it from Asian Fusion again tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

King Ding in Westside, just at the entrance to the Glendara estate. Yum. Nicest I have tasted in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

King Ding in Westside, just at the entrance to the Glendara estate. Yum. Nicest I have tasted in ages.

Was wondering if that place is nice..there always seems to be cars outside at night which is a good sign! I think the best one is Amber in barna..yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

cant26 wrote: »
    Was wondering if that place is nice..there always seems to be cars outside at night which is a good sign! I think the best one is Amber in barna..yum!

We've tried a few around the place but found this to be the best, loving their sweet and sour chicken, chow mein and king prawn dishes in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Do King Ding use MSG? Any online menu? Need to get something for tonights dinner!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Royal Villa in the aquarium do deliveries now, definitely my favourite Chinese.

We tried Tasty House recently and it was great to be able to get both Indian and Chinese from the one place.

Got a Tamarind delivery recently too (not technically Chinese) and was very impressed. Yummy yummy.

Going to give King Ding a whirl this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Have been very disappointed by any of the takeaway we've got froM
    there:(

Anybody know what the other Chinese takeaways in Oranmore are like?? We often do a night with friends out there and get food en route to bring with us. Def won't be getting it from Asian Fusion again tho.

Chinaman - Can be hit and miss.

Dynasty just across the street from it is nice, I've only had it twice mind, but lovely both times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

buzz55 wrote: »
    Do King Ding use MSG? Any online menu? Need to get something for tonights dinner!

If my ar$e could talk, it would say that they do have MSG.

I went there once but never again. It was busy which is a good indication in my book, but the food wasn't great. I had Singapore Noodles which was very bland (although the portion was generous) and my other half had Sweet and Sour Duck which she didn't finish citing a lack of duck and an abundance of rice

I had a dose of the trots that night but it was short lives. That said, my kids enjoyed what they were having (although I can't recall what they ate).

Thumbs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Whrere is the one in oranmore thats upstairs? i know theres a crap one....floor level on main st?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Whrere is the one in oranmore thats upstairs? i know theres a crap one....floor level on main st?

The Yen just beside the Coach House Hotel.

Asian Fusion (more expensive but definitely the best one in Oranmore) is upstairs in the building just before the turn off for the Astro Turf/Castle Road.

And The Chinaman is far from crap, it kept me in 3-in-1's and great duck dishes every weekend for years.

Also, got a delivery from The Curry House in Newcastle last night. Quite reasonably priced and the food was delicious. Great big crispy spring rolls and free prawn crackers. nom nom nom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Golden Mountain and King Ding are pretty good for that sort of typical MSG-packed greasy takeaway....

The Yen in Oranmore changed hands, name, and then closed down, don't think it re-opened. Which is a shame, as I found it the best out of all of them, really liked that place - and they were literally the only place in all of Galway I could find that do crispy Japanese chicken! Asian Fusion is a different level altogether in terms of quality - for both food and class - and not exactly comparable to your typical chinese takeaway, so depending on what you're actually looking for, it could be considered good/bad. I always thought the Chinaman was medicore, the ultimate decadence in takeaway foods....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I've been getting Limeleaf lately,some really good stuff. Huge portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Is there any proper Chinese Restaurant in Galway? By that I mean one which does authentic Chinese dishes rather than the black bean / cashew variety?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The Asian Tea House on Mary Street, or Royal Villa in Salthill would be the highest class of Asian restaurants in Galway and most likely the best to find the real authentic cuisine.

Da Tang Noodle House is a firm favourite of mine for the proper Chinese dish as well. Their herbal teas are the biz!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Tamarind (Spanish Arch) is delicious. Amazing, amazing food but fairly pricey. They do a lunch menu for €10 though which is excellent value (between 12.30 and 4.30) Highly reccomend the thai green curry.

Cappagh Chinese is a personal favourite. Cheap, awesome and with large portions.

Royal Villa over the aquarium is very expensive but has fantastic food. Very classy as well.

Went to King Ding once and it was grand. Heard good things about it from others but what I got was nothing special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Lockstep,where's Cappagh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Lockstep,where's Cappagh?

Cappagh Road out in Knocknacarra. Head up the Barna road Past the Knocknacarra church and turn right down Woodfield.

They also do takeaway. Definetly reccomend it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement