Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A319 Pilot and 1st Officer fall asleep on Approach.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Fluckk me! Mind you those airbuses are all "computerised" so maybe the yank and his first mate thought they could take a kip and let the plane do all the work. It's a bit like that story of the yank in his new RV who set the cruise control on his vehicle while on a motorway and went to his galley to make a cuppa - and woke up later in hospital...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

That's scary. Just as scary as the plane that was approaching Dublin airport recently and thought that the Days Inn hotel at Santry Cross was the runway!!!!!!!!!!:eek: It was a very close call.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Everything can look like a runway at night.
    Trying to find the beacon of small airfield in built up area is great fun, almost as good as dimming the lights when someone is on approach :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

There is an indepth discussion on airliners.net about this..

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/3681769/

My word they certainly are talking it to death over on airliners:p

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Everything can look like a runway at night.
    Trying to find the beacon of small airfield in built up area is great fun, almost as good as dimming the lights when someone is on approach :rolleyes:

Did you see the photos? It looks exactly like a runway. The red lights on top look like papi lights too. Albeit there are only two on either side of the runway.

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/9702-0.pdf

*Kol* wrote: »
    My word they certainly are talking it to death over on airliners:p

They talk everything to death over there

For example

"OMG Ryanair announced a new route!"- and five million posts about it. You get the idea.

The incident in Dublin recently.....

Could have turned out a lot worse. Hopefully they have changed the lights on the roof of that building...

They talk everything to death over there

For example

"OMG Ryanair announced a new route!"- and five million posts about it. You get the idea.

The incident in Dublin recently.....

Could have turned out a lot worse. Hopefully they have changed the lights on the roof of that building...

Yep lights have changed from fixed red lights to flashing red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Id be surprised seeing how hard a lot of pilots are worked if this kind of thing doesnt happen far more often and now be reported to anyone. Lucky he woke up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I was speaking to a friend who was a FO on 767s for a major airline.

He recalled how one time he looked up from the book he was reading , to see the the Captain fast asleep. Nothing totally unsual about this because the CAA actually encouraged ' cat naps '. What was unusual was the captain had neglected to tell the FO , se he was still busy reading his book.

Basically no one was flying the aeroplane.

Now this was mid atlantic , so no real harm done , but I tell you what it shook my mate up a bit.......

I guess flying long hauls is 95% of the time boring as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

*Kol* wrote: »
    Did you see the photos? It looks exactly like a runway. The red lights on top look like papi lights too. Albeit there are only two on either side of the runway.

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/9702-0.pdf

Even though the lights look like papi lights wouldnt have the pilots known that there was no runway lights at either side???

Dont most international runways have those flickering flashing lights that you can see from a long distance? Or does dublin airports non active runway which was in use at the time have any?

Approach lights differ from airport to airport. Some airports have flashing white lights at either side of the threshold, some have a flashing string of lights on the centreline (Theres a name on this- leaping hare or something like that? I cant remember!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Approach lights differ from airport to airport. Some airports have flashing white lights at either side of the threshold, some have a flashing string of lights on the centreline (Theres a name on this- leaping hare or something like that? I cant remember!)

Ah right. Ok. Thanks. Its just when Im flying flight simulator 2004 nearly all the airports have the same runway light configuration. ( well for the big airports anyways:rolleyes:).

Advertisement