Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs on a plane

Options
  • 02-11-2007 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be flying my dogs home at Christmas and was wondering if anyone else has done so. They won't be able to fly with us, though we will all be on the same plane. I hate thinking of them scared and upset in cargo for the flight.

It's only Dublin-Heathrow, so it isn't a long flight, but they are bound to be terrified when the plane takes off. So not only will they be scared and alone they will also possibly lose bladder function and be stuck sitting in their pee for an hour or two. I wouldn't be quite as worried if they could be in a crate together but apparently they are too big to share even if I got them a large crate. I'm also worried about whether their ears will pop or not.:(

I don't want to obsess about this, but we really want to go home for christmas and we really want to have the boys with us. But I feel guilty about planning what may be torture for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Why don't you get the ferry and drive over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Ask your vet for advice, they may be able to prescribe a sedative to keep the dogs calm or suggest some homeopathic (sp?) treatment for them

Mezcita, the OP may not have a car to drive over, I live in Dublin and I get by without a car and a long journey in a crate by car and ferry or car and train could ultimately prove more stressful for the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

the vet should be able to give you some valium - just 5mg's will do a dog for a 1 hour flight, you can also get an endomorphin(sp?) spray which releases sent that the dogs will find calming, ask your vet(they normally have signs for them in the vet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

If your flying with BMI is won't be a problem.Phone
    there booking line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭Archeron

Sorry to digress, but definitely a contender for "thread title of the year". :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Don't get a sedative from your vet. Most airlines refuse (and quite rightly) to fly sedated pets. The luggage hold gets colder than the passenger area, although not too cold and the temperature is strictly regulated in holds where animals travel. Any sedative, no matter how mild, will have an effect on the dog's ability to regulate their body temperature.

Have flown dogs frequently between Eire and UK with no problems whatsoever. Sent one unaccompanied to Singapore once too. Check the dog in as late as you can, don't forget you need to check-in in time too! Once the dog is checked in he won't be allowed out of the crate under any circumstances until you collect him on the other side. I have regularly taken dogs out for a pee outside the Dublin terminal before checking them in. No problems there, and the staff understand. Follow all the instructions the airline give you, and tape a piece of paper with his name written on it on top of the carrybox...that way staff handling him on and off the plane can talk to him using his own name, this is HUGE help for the dog IMHO.

Line the bottom with any newspaper, and use vetbed (doesn't hold liquid), so then any accident will run through the bedding and be soaked up by the newspaper, and he won't be sitting in his mess. I can 99% guarantee he won't poo in the carrier. I have never had any dog wee or poo during a flight, and would be very surprised if your do.

If they aren't used to going in to the carrier, get them used to it by feeding them in it for a week to 10 days before you leave.

Travel him with used bedding that smells familiar, and include his favourite toy (not squeaky though, will drive the handling staff mad).

And most of all, try not to worry.....they generally travel brilliantly by plane, and have always met me on the other side wondering what all the fuss is about.

Don't forget that the carry box needs to be IATA approved, or the airline won't accept it.

You can check out the IATA website and read the rules and regulations that airlines have to conform to in order to transport animals, and this should put your mind at rest at how he will be handled once he's checked in and taken away from you.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to shout ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Archeron wrote: »
    Sorry to digress, but definitely a contender for "thread title of the year". :)

Totally agree...dogss on a plane mofo

Planted by an puppy farmer wanting to take down an international informant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

are the doggies put in with all the suitcases? is that not a bit cruel? that's so sad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

are the doggies put in with all the suitcases? is that not a bit cruel? that's so sad?

The hold is divided into different compartments. Different compartments can be heated, animals are usually put in a heated compartment.

I've heard of people transporting pet reptiles in the hold, they're usually put in an insulated, but ventilated, container that is placed inside the shipping crate.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

if u ever watch Anminal Airport on Sky Travel which is based out of LHR, it should give u some idea of what they do as regards transporting dogs and that and it was def said before on it about not to give cats n dogs sedatives, cause they have showed the effects of ones especially if they have come off long haul flights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

We flew our boy from Istanbul to Dublin and before that flight an internal flight up to Istanbul. The total time from internal flight through to landing in Ireland was about 8 hours. He did not go to the toilet in the crate at all. Don't feed them the morning/day you are flying - just the night before, and give them very little water, and there will be no mess. They will hold it for as long as they possibly can and a one hour flight is very short anyway.

I was too, very concerned about my dog in the cargo hold, but he was fine. I saw him in Dublin (before they whisked him off to quarantine) and he was fine, mad to get out of the crate to be beside me, but other than that he was fine. I think it would be worse for them to travel in the cabin as alot of stressed people would be around and that would only add to the dogs anxiety.

The airline we flew with (Turkish Airlines) told us they never had a dog sedated on one of their flights and all dogs big and small were fine on it. A friend of mine, who did sedate her dog, met the dog in the airport going nuts and not recognising anyone - she was snapping at them when they even tried to open the crate :( Our boy flew with no sedation and was absolutely fine.

If you want to fly them over, fly them over, and don't feel guilty. I'm sure they'd be alot more stressed being left without you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thanks everybody, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and stop feeling nervous about it or else when the time comes they'll pick up on it and be really anxious. It's a 9pm flight we're taking anyway so we're planning to take them on an extra long walk that afternoon to tire them out a bit so they'll hopefully just sleep for the journey. I'd feel better about it if they could share 1 large crate, but they'll get over it once they are out on the other side.

And when they're running in and out of the Shannon with their doggy uncle Rosco it will all have been worth it.:)

Sorry to resurrect the old thread but I just want to add an update.

We're flying tonight at 9.50pm. I gave them a little dry food early this morning because I didn't want them to completely starve and they've had a nice long walk today. They do seem to know something is up. Last night when we were packing Dougal sat in my suitcase and looked up at me as if to say I'm going too. I'd never thought about them recognising a suitcase as a sign that we are leaving but it possibly is something they've noticed.

We got their crates a few weeks ago and joy of joys they are so big that the airline is allowing them to fly together in one. Their favourite blanket was confiscated when we got the crates and since then is kept in the crate so they often look to get in the crate to be with their blanket. So they have no problem with the crate. They used to sleep in a crate when they were younger anyway so they aren't upset at being locked in.

I'm looking forward to getting them home so much. We're going to do a tour of Dublin parks so we can find out where is best for when we move home. I'm hoping we get some time to go up the mountains too. And then we're off to Limerick after Christmas to be with my family and lots of great walks along the Shannon with my parents dog.:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

I've flown dogs many times back in the old days when I was mad keen on showing.When I'd collect them at the airport they'd have to be woken up as often as not they were so relaxed about it-even on their 1st time.Short haul flights are nothing to worry about,the cargo hold is heated and pressurised so it's not cruel-kinder and less stressful in fact than hours in the hold of the ferry!

Demonique wrote: »
    The hold is divided into different compartments. Different compartments can be heated, animals are usually put in a heated compartment.

I've heard of people transporting pet reptiles in the hold, they're usually put in an insulated, but ventilated, container that is placed inside the shipping crate.

That would depend on the plane mate but if it can carry an
    animal it will be heated and most importantly have air in it
    with no goods next to or around it that could affect the
    animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

iguana wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect the old thread but I just want to add an update.

We're flying tonight at 9.50pm. I gave them a little dry food early this morning because I didn't want them to completely starve and they've had a nice long walk today. They do seem to know something is up. Last night when we were packing Dougal sat in my suitcase and looked up at me as if to say I'm going too. I'd never thought about them recognising a suitcase as a sign that we are leaving but it possibly is something they've noticed.

We got their crates a few weeks ago and joy of joys they are so big that the airline is allowing them to fly together in one. Their favourite blanket was confiscated when we got the crates and since then is kept in the crate so they often look to get in the crate to be with their blanket. So they have no problem with the crate. They used to sleep in a crate when they were younger anyway so they aren't upset at being locked in.

I'm looking forward to getting them home so much. We're going to do a tour of Dublin parks so we can find out where is best for when we move home. I'm hoping we get some time to go up the mountains too. And then we're off to Limerick after Christmas to be with my family and lots of great walks along the Shannon with my parents dog.:D:D:D:D:D

Iguana, let us know how they got on with the flight. What was the cost involved? if you don't mind me asking. Ta:)

macshadow wrote: »
    Iguana, let us know how they got on with the flight. What was the cost involved? if you don't mind me asking. Ta:)

Most dogs or cats do great on a plane.As for cost you would be
    better phoning the airline you were thinking of using,as price
    is based on size,weight,fuel costs and distance your flying.The price
    will change a lot.

And I'm resurrecting the thread again. The trip went great, the dogs had no problem with flying and were happy to get back into the crate yesterday for the return journey so it obviously hasn't scared them.

The flights cost £40 per dog per flight, so £160 in total for London - Dublin return. But I've been told that it should have cost more and the call centre made a mistake the 8 times I called to check.

The dogs mostly had a great time, though my in-laws have a very cranky small dog who constantly delighted in baiting them. (I know that to her they were invaders in her house, but she would seek them out when they were sleeping and start barking at them, then attack if they turned to look at her which stressed them out a bit.) They adored my parents house, though they were definitely jealous of my family dog, Rosco. If I was on the floor playing with Rosco, Toby would come over and get himself between Rosco and myself and try to shoulder him out of the way. And Dougal would sit in the corner giving me wounded, disdainful looks.

When we got home last night they were initially delighted, but seem fairly depressed today. Obviously they are missing having my husband around during the day and they've now realised how tiny our garden is compared to my parents and in-laws. But I do think that as much as they were occasionally worried by our adventure they are missing it, especially my parents house where they and Rosco shared a huge garden, took long river walks everyday and had my dad feed them huge turkey dinners.:D

Advertisement