Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harshness...

Options
  • 02-11-2007 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everybody,

Not looking to start an arguement at all but is it just me or is this situation slightly OTT?

Long story short...I posted this comment. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54236958&postcount=4

Was called an idiot by another user in the thread for that comment...so instead of taking the thread off topic, i pm'd the user telling them quite simply to "Go **** yourself"

Anyway, tried logging in later and was confronted with this message...
    You have been banned for the following reason:
    Abusing other users via PM is not acceptable, cop yourself on and grow up.
    Date the ban will be lifted: 30-10-2007, 15:00

What I don't get is I was banned from the entire web site for 11 days. Yet if i told the poster in the thread to go **** themselves, i would be banned from the personal issues section for probably a week...

I just think it was a bit harsh to be honest...maybe it's just me.

Have a good one...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Those are the rules. Harsh, but rules all the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You should have reported the post in which you were called an idiot. That would have solved everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

cheesedude wrote: »
    What I don't get is I was banned from the entire web site for 11 days. Yet if i told the poster in the thread to go **** themselves, i would be banned from the personal issues section for probably a week...
    At least if it was said on thread, it's open and upfront, and in some ways less personal ...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah suppose I should have...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

guess you'll know for next time anyway.. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah i guess i will...thanks anyway :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Off-Topic but you got the starts of a H-Mod and the title, but your not actually assigned to any forum?!

Yeah i used to be on the pro evo forum...if it means that much to you, take them away...i wouldn't want to be mistaken for mod of Waterford City now would i?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

You can't fight fire with fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You are lucky you didn't get site banned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thaedydal wrote: »

He did. He got site-banned for 11 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Just had a read of that thread, what total and utter BS, how a mod can both leave it open and defend it and ban people who see it as it is, a wind up, is beyond me. :confused:

Then again, maybe i have some special powers for sniffing out attention whores, who knows ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You should have reported the post in which you were called an idiot. That would have solved everything.
    Good point, AlmightyCushion. Except cheesedude wouldn't have found any post on which I called him an idiot, because I DIDN'T CALL HIM AN IDIOT!
    Cheesedude, I referred to your post, along with posts by numerous other people, as idiotic. You know full well that's not the same as calling you an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

/cue hurried post as I need to get to work...

I don't visit PI anymore. This is most certainly not down to the moderation there, which is by necessity top class, and zero tolerance, and not in a John O' Donoghue type hamfisted fashion.

There are two main reasons:

1. There are enough kind souls and knowledge there to help out in any genuine instance that may come up for discussion there.

2. It has become a target for trolls, and by its very nature, a trollish post is very hard to weed out, because you just never know...

The most frustrating thing about the place is the post police who feel obliged to parse every reply to a thread there in order to give their opinion. The only posts worthy of comment there by non mods should be those by the OP.

The mods are there to deal with the rest of us and our contributions.

I would have though that someone who made Hmod at one point would be aware that abuse by PM was a no no, still you live and learn...

I'm gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

ok,so if he swears (which he shouldnt) in retaliation for somethin g he feels is justifiable by pm he gets in trouble. now if he retaliated (lets say for arguments sake Not Swearing <lol> ) on the thread itself,out in the open, which by certain peoples standards make it less of a personal attack, he'll get in trouble too. a simple feck off in conjunction with the watchful eyes of a mod would be a better, (and simpler) answer in my mind. but thats only my opinion,and mmy opinion alone.
    as to wat brings me to this thread,i have an infraction as of,well now since i only read the message,from the computing section. heres the question i posted
    clearwire/data counter
    got clearwire today,and the download limit is ten gigs a month, just needed to know if there is a program that can tell me how much ive been downloading so i dont go over ten gig mark

thanks in advance

now, 2 members were very helpful and gave me two great answers, i thank them again. but the problem seems that as one ember directed me to a program i need he said
    its free for the first 30 days.
    you could download it elsewhere for a lot less
    tho we cant discuss those kind of things here.
    i kno that in the grey areas,and indeed black areas of computing,software piracy etc is not to be condoned, but was he doing that??? NO. He Actually warned myself off saying such things like,where can i get it for free or what have you. also,im sure the mod could argue another part of his reply was hinting at illegal activities.
    unless ure downloading big files, hint hint then you
    neednt worry about having a counter
    yes,maybe to the mod that sounded bad,but look at it with a clear mind and you can say, Unless YOU NERIN are downloading big files hint hint (ie ones we dont talk about here.) you wont need a counter.yet the mod says
    Originally Posted by mailburner View Post
    tho we cant discuss those kind of things here.
    But yet you did.... banned for 1 week
    Thats my argument for why i feel that the user was unfairly banned.

then i (as i obviously do) felt that was unfair,and said in passing as i thanked the two Helpful members
    thank u mailburner and alanjgrace.
    as for mailburner being banned,how stupid.
    he didnt direct me anywhere,as if i didnt kno where to go. pffft

i felt that i was justified in stating this,but according to the mod i am not,
    You have received an infraction at boards.ie
    Dear nerin,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie.

Reason: Back Seat Modding
    Leave the mod decisions to us thank you...
    when i replied to the P.M that the mod sent me here. so here i am.

my basic opinion is that mods are not god,they dont know everything, and they can certainly be wrong,which is only human,everyone can be wrong. i feel the person that gave me appropriate information, and whose words were taking wrongly should not be banned. and i dont have a problem with apologising to the mod if he felt i expressed my views in the wrong thread and attacked his authority or whatever. thanks for being a place to inform,to help and to settle problems.

Nerin

Ah whatever...

Not my site so not my rules.

The most frustrating thing about the place is the post police who feel obliged to parse every reply to a thread there in order to give their opinion. The only posts worthy of comment there by non mods should be those by the OP.
    Yeah you're right. It's just that it was a Saturday, there weren't any mods around, and the tosser posts were coming in thick and fast. It was about a woman sexually harassing a guy and there was a barrage of "go on, roide her sideways" comments. How hilarious. It just got infuriating.
    Cheesedude, in fairness, yours wasn't as bad as those, but it wasn't helpful to the OP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That PM sounded over the top compared to the minor handbags in the thread.
    And PMs are definitely more personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

What I don't get is I was banned from the entire web site for 11 days.

ok, here's what bugs me.

Who the hell decided on 11 days?!? Why 11? what part of you decided that the exact number that would be perfect for such an offense would be 11? I mean honestly....that hurts my head.

Dudess wrote: »
    It just got infuriating.
    Cheesedude, in fairness, yours wasn't as bad as those, but it wasn't helpful to the OP.

Who are you to judge? I was stating a fact. Are you aware what does go on the world of business? Are you aware how ruthless and how cut throat business is? Well if you are, you surely should know that some people will do anything to make it and when I posted my comment saying I know a girl like that who will ride her way to the top. You called me an idiot. I don't see why you can't accept there are filthbags out there who will do that. I was just stating it as a warning to the OP.

• Advertisement

çrash_000 wrote: »
    ok, here's what bugs me.

Who the hell decided on 11 days?!? Why 11? what part of you decided that the exact number that would be perfect for such an offense would be 11? I mean honestly....that hurts my head.

Yeah I just found it a bit harsh to be honest.

You called me an idiot.
    Please stop saying I called you an idiot when I did not.

Yeah you're right. It's just that it was a Saturday, there weren't any mods around, and the tosser posts were coming in thick and fast. It was about a woman sexually harassing a guy and there was a barrage of "go on, roide her sideways" comments. How hilarious. It just got infuriating.

Then why didn't you report the posts instead of comment on them? A mod would have came along and dealt with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

i pm'd the user telling them quite simply to "Go **** yourself"

You should have been banned for longer for lack of imagination.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You called me an idiot.

thats twice that you have said that, where is the link? I had a look and you weren't called an idiot anywhere I can see?

Taking it to PM to abuse another member is well out of order and could easily have been a longer site ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

çrash_000 wrote: »
    ok, here's what bugs me.

It was 10 days, there is no such option for 11 days as far as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Bit OTT considering it was quite mild.

LOL @ the child who reported your PM though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Thaedydal wrote: »
    He did. He got site-banned for 11 days.

lol

rb_ie wrote: »
    Bit OTT considering it was quite mild.

LOL @ the child who reported your PM though.
    I am that child. The PM was abusive, being abusive via PM is out of order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I am that child. The PM was abusive, being abusive via PM is out of order.
    Aww well don't worry, the big bad man was taken care of it seems.

Now here
    baby%20bottle%20i%20stock.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement