Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harshness...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Which stuff that you said? That I've issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dudess really there comes a stage where you just have to ignre the gibbering of idiots.

Being told that I have 'issues' is the least of the comment and accusations which I have leveled at me during my time on boards. If some one has no civility or manners then don't get dragged down to thier level.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So now your calling me an idiot? Fantastic...i love the double standards.

Just because I am having a conflict of interest with Dudess doesn't give you the right to call me an idiot.

Then the "sex and sexuality" mod comes in and calls me an idiot. Being nosey is a personal issue, so maybe you should sort that out because I don't think since your "Parenting Mod" that your children would appreciate you being nosey.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I think you need to step away from your PC for a bit.

Thaedydal did not call you an idiot.
    She made a general statement.

At no time did she specifically refer to you as an idiot.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Terry wrote: »

neither did dudess but that doesn't seem to matter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

cheesedude wrote: »
    So now your calling me an idiot? Fantastic...i love the double standards.

and now you are yourself once again taking it directly and personally. Definitely putting the PERSONAL in to personal issues.

TBH you claim to ahve to control your temper yes? the difference is, that an internet forum you can think before you hit the post button.

Dudess did not call you pesronally an idiot neither did Thaed. You chose to take it personally.

Similarly making assumptions about dudesses character from whjat she posts is more indicatory of what is going on in your own head rather than hers.

To the subject in hand, though, a personal attack in PI within a thread with a simple post of **** you woud result in a ban immediately from the forum. Taling it to PM I would view as a more direct personal attack for which site banning was definitely approproate.
    When mods say in their forum take it to PM they mean a mature sensible discussion over a particular point. Not a childish, bullying little whine.
    From what i have seen of your previous posts within this thread this is not a once off, isolated incident.
    So before you accuse anyone else of having issues, I would advise you to look at your own first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

rb_ie wrote: »
    Oh I wasn't accusing you of being a hypocrite Roundy, I was saying that the claim of a "community ethos" (which I'm aware isn't a creation of your own) is hypocritical in itself.

Well I, for one, have been made aware that I've been called, amongst other things, a wanker in the mod forum. Didn't hear of any action taken about that tbh.

Not going to make an issue of it, just think it's a load of balls to be touting community ethos/spirit when that's going on behind users backs.

lol :D I wouldn't worry about it. It is a common enough occurrence.

Did 6th change his name to Dudess? :confused:

*EDIT- Two rr's on occurrence! How badly I was educated....

Just because I am having a conflict of interest with Dudess doesn't give you the right to call me an idiot.
    Exactly. It's simply a conflict of interest so it doesn't give you the right to evaluate me and advise me that I have "issues" etc. Can't you just keep to the topic at hand? I'm not evaluating you based on your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

WTF?

I'm sorry, I have nothing at all against Thaed but she clearly implied cheesdude is an idiot.

Also Dudess call someones post "idiocy" ( a form of retardation) and you should expect a bit of backlash. It is personal abuse plain and simple. The fact you didn't type the words "Cheesdude, you are an idiot" doesn't change that.

I have no opinion on who is right or wrong but those 2 things really were pissing me off

Vegeta, "attack the post not the poster" is what moderators advise.

• Advertisement

I was offering advice to Dudess, there are many posts and many 'voices' here on boards and there comes a time when you have to develope a thick enough skin to ignore people, the same way you do mad people shouting on the street as you pass by.

I made a general statment and someone choose to go off on one and direct thier bile at me andI have reported his post as being abusive.

Dudess wrote: »
    Vegeta, "attack the post not the poster" is what moderators advise.

yes but there is a large difference between saying something is just poor advice and calling it "idiocy"

Idiocy does attack the poster, it reflects on their mental (and/or physical) state. It implies someone of lesser intelligence (due to a handicap) posted it.

Intended or not, that word still refers to the owner of the action (in this case posting) in a slighting manner.

I have no beef with you over this topic. You did not straight out, call cheesdude an idiot. Did you insult him (and the others quoted)? Most definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As Dudess says, "Attack the post not the poster" has always been pretty much the number one guideline on boards, as far as I know. My reading of that is when someone says something stupid/idiotic, you are allowed to call them on it. Not by saying "You're a fcuking tool" though, but you can say that what they said is idiotic (or idiocy).

Another rule, posted on many fora, states "If you can't keep your head, take it elsewhere". If you wish to carry on a heated discussion then PM or email is the place, but a heated discussion doesn't start with "Go f**k yourself". That's possibly how you would expect it would end.

Just my 2c for what it's worth.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I made a general statment and someone choose to go off on one and direct thier bile at me andI have reported his post as being abusive.

Sorry I cant let that go.

Dudess is arguing with someone and your post tells her not to bother arguing with idiots. Yes very general advice there :rolleyes:

So you think Dudess must have been at one point arguing with idiots, why pick this thread to offer that advice if you are not calling anyone here an idiot??

I am not saying you should be banned, this is feedback after all. I just think the general statement thing is a poor excuse to insult people.

It was ment as a general statment.

IT is not my fault that cheese dude has apprently yet managed to grasp the difference between calling an action by a person as silly and calling a person silly.
    My 7 year old know the difference.

jor el wrote: »
    As Dudess says, "Attack the post not the poster" has always been pretty much the number one guideline on boards, as far as I know. My reading of that is when someone says something stupid/idiotic, you are allowed to call them on it. Not by saying "You're a fcuking tool" though, but you can say that what they said is idiotic (or idiocy).

well put it down to a choice of language then. I know if someone said my post was idiotic or idiocy I would be pissed and report it as personal abuse because of what it implies. Obviously others feel the same

Now if someone says plain out that I am just wrong or my advice/opinion is terrible then there will be no reporting. I may be pissed but at least there wasn't a cheap insult thrown in there

IT is not my fault that cheese dude has apprently yet managed to grasp the difference between calling an action by a person as silly and calling a person silly.

yes but saying a person commited a silly action implies there were silly at time of said action.

Maybe we adults should acknowledge this

Ok heading home for the evening but will continue this debate tomorrow if anyone wants to.

No, there is a big difference between a person breifly behaving badly or in a silly fashion that does not make them a bad person or a silly person no more then someone making an idiotic statment or idiotic post makes them mentally retareded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Vegeta wrote: »
    well put it down to a choice of language then. I know if someone said my post was idiotic or idiocy I would be pissed and report it as personal abuse because of what it implies. Obviously others feel the same

Now if someone says plain out that I am just wrong or my advice/opinion is terrible then there will be no reporting. I may be pissed but at least there wasn't a cheap insult thrown in there

I see where you're coming from, but my stance would be that everyone says stupid things from time to time, whether they are stupid or not. I think it needs to depend on what's being discussed, the forum in question, and whether the poster appears to be trolling, etc. If someone calls me on something I wrote by saying it was stupid, or that I was being stupid, then I'd have to either rebut it and offer proof that what I said was true, or accept what I said was wrong.

Of course, someone who disagrees with me could just say I was wrong without calling my post idiotic, but I do feel that sometimes it's required to call the statement idiotic, if it does read as such.

I do think that banning the attacking of posts, in the way I accept it, would be a bad thing. If someone's talking sh*te then people should be allowed to say so, without getting personal about it of course (though I accept that you and others may count this as personal already).
    Vegeta wrote:
    yes but saying a person commited a silly action implies there were silly at time of said action.
    This is something that I believe should be allowed. You'd be implying that someone is/was stupid at the time of posting, but to me it's not the same thing as calling them stupid outright.

I love semantics sometimes.

It's ironic that in the thread that inspired this debate, cheesedude's post was the least idiotic of all the posts quoted by Dudess. In fact, I wouldn't have included it at all. His reaction to being quoted was out of order though as has much of what he's said here.

jor el wrote: »
    cheesedude's post was the least idiotic of all the posts quoted by Dudess.
    Yes, that is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah...

It's interesting how people who can't defend themselves in an argument often resort to the old "you've got issues", "you've a chip on your shoulder" etc lines.

You're so argumentative, there ain't no room for the flies!

Pyscho rantings agogo!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Pyscho rantings agogo!

Topf, Kessel, schwarz.* :p

* As translated by SystranSoft.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Topf, Kessel, schwarz.* :p

* As translated by SystranSoft.

Gone huntin' for billies:p

Pyscho rantings agogo!
    Quite.

Dudess really there comes a stage where you just have to ignre the gibbering of idiots.

Being told that I have 'issues' is the least of the comment and accusations which I have leveled at me during my time on boards. If some one has no civility or manners then don't get dragged down to thier level.

Ok so I'm having a disagreement and you poke your nose in and whether you choose to accept it or not, you call me an idiot.
    Terry wrote: »

This thread is about me. I started it up and it's about me. I direct a statement at Dudess and this other person...the mod of sex and parenting comes in and says "bla bla bla i've been told that before, you should ignore idiots" so she is in essence calling me an idiot.
    Marksie wrote: »
    and now you are yourself once again taking it directly and personally. Definitely putting the PERSONAL in to personal issues.

TBH you claim to ahve to control your temper yes? the difference is, that an internet forum you can think before you hit the post button.

Dudess did not call you pesronally an idiot neither did Thaed. You chose to take it personally.

Similarly making assumptions about dudesses character from whjat she posts is more indicatory of what is going on in your own head rather than hers.

To the subject in hand, though, a personal attack in PI within a thread with a simple post of **** you woud result in a ban immediately from the forum. Taling it to PM I would view as a more direct personal attack for which site banning was definitely approproate.
    When mods say in their forum take it to PM they mean a mature sensible discussion over a particular point. Not a childish, bullying little whine.
    From what i have seen of your previous posts within this thread this is not a once off, isolated incident.
    So before you accuse anyone else of having issues, I would advise you to look at your own first

Well I have contributed and helped out when i could have or had knowledge about subjects in Personal Issues so just because your little friend came in to call me an idiot does not mean you have to come in here with some deep meaningful reply...keep it in personal issues.
    WTF?

I'm sorry, I have nothing at all against Thaed but she clearly implied cheesdude is an idiot.

Also Dudess call someones post "idiocy" ( a form of retardation) and you should expect a bit of backlash. It is personal abuse plain and simple. The fact you didn't type the words "Cheesdude, you are an idiot" doesn't change that.

I have no opinion on who is right or wrong but those 2 things really were pissing me off

Thanks a lot for backing me up, i'm being made out to be a bully
    I was offering advice to Dudess, there are many posts and many 'voices' here on boards and there comes a time when you have to develope a thick enough skin to ignore people, the same way you do mad people shouting on the street as you pass by.

Don't try take your insulting off topic. I also find it comical that you reported my post. Whatever makes you feel better too.

Oh stop with the horse crap, you called me an idiot. It could not be any clearer...unless of course you said "Cheesedude you are an idiot.." It was totally insinuated towards me...but fine, I have the confidence to deal with it...after all, whatever makes YOU feel better.
    No, there is a big difference between a person breifly behaving badly or in a silly fashion that does not make them a bad person or a silly person no more then someone making an idiotic statment or idiotic post makes them mentally retareded.

Again more off topic ramblings...admit to your mistakes. You called me an idiot. Dudess called my very factual post "Idiocy" meaning I have some sort of mental deficiency...when in fact, nothing could be further from the truth

Pyscho rantings agogo!

Yeah tell me about it...I don't know what their problem is...and now all the Personal Issues mods come in to have a go at me now...fantastic.

I have admitted to my mistake...fine, I was made out to be mentally retarded when I'm not so I wrote a pm to the user telling her to go **** herself. Big deal. I didn't take any thread off topic.

I feel hard done by. I may have made a mistake...but Dudess certainly instigated it by PERSONALLY quoting something I said which was in fact true...

IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO CAN ARGUE THAT MY INITIAL POST WAS IN FACT IDIOTIC? http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54236958&postcount=4 NO...Didn't think so...

you would have to be an extreme feminist with serious issues to think It was...also a bit dillusional too. I spoke the truth. Deal with it.

Pyscho rantings agogo!

Cheesedude- this was targetted at Dudess - Queen of Moans.

Oh yeah I know...I was just agreeing with you and mentioning that the rest of them are coming after me...I totally agree with you. I made it more clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

To be as plain as I can be, I think you are wrong. :)
    This thread is about me. I started it up and it's about me.

• Advertisement

attentionwhore.jpg

Well I have contributed and helped out when i could have or had knowledge about subjects in Personal Issues so just because your little friend came in to call me an idiot does not mean you have to come in here with some deep meaningful reply...keep it in personal issues.

godgivenright.jpg

Thanks a lot for backing me up, i'm being made out to be a bully.

setmypeoplefree.jpg

Oh stop with the horse crap, you called me an idiot. It could not be any clearer...unless of course you said "Cheesedude you are an idiot.." It was totally insinuated towards me...but fine, I have the confidence to deal with it...after all, whatever makes YOU feel better.

muppet.jpg

Again more off topic ramblings...admit to your mistakes. You called me an idiot. Dudess called my very factual post "Idiocy" meaning I have some sort of mental deficiency...when in fact, nothing could be further from the truth

cranialrectal.jpg
    Yeah tell me about it...I don't know what their problem is...and now all the Personal Issues mods come in to have a go at me now...fantastic.

flamingmuppet.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement