Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

That Judge, That County and That Speed

Options
  • 02-11-2007 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭

For those of you who haven't heard, yet again we're the laughing stock of the planet. Expect this in your copy of the onion next week....
    A.P. wrote:
    Judge: Speeding Not 'As Bad' in Miles
    By SHAWN POGATCHNIK – 1 day ago

DUBLIN, Ireland (AP) — When police caught driver David Clarke flying down a road at 180 kilometers per hour this month, he looked likely to lose his license.

But a country judge reduced the charge and let the 31-year-old information technology worker stay on the road after concluding the speed did not look as bad when converted into miles, or 112 mph.

"I am not excusing his driving. He should not have been traveling at that speed," District Court Judge Denis McLoughlin said in his verdict, delivered Tuesday in County Donegal, northwest Ireland.

McLoughlin suggested it was relatively safe to have shattered the legal road limit at the time, citing good weather, light traffic and the road's unusual straightness.

McLoughlin was quoted as saying the speed seemed "very excessive," but did not look "as bad" when converted into miles. He lowered the charge from to driving carelessly, and fined him euro1,000 ($1,450); if convicted of the tougher charge of driving dangerously, Clarke would have lost his license.

The episode underscored Ireland's slow mental conversion to metric. Ireland switched its speed limits from miles to kilometers in January 2005, but most cars still display speeds principally in miles.

Clarke, a Dubliner, had been traveling to a Donegal wedding Oct. 13 when he was clocked by a police checkpoint going 180 kph (112 mph) in a 100 kph (62 mph) zone.

Law enforcement on Ireland's roads is notoriously lax, and judges frequently acquit offending drivers because of loopholes and vagaries in the law.

Over the past week, the government has been forced into an embarrassing U-turn over its plan to close the biggest loophole of all — a law that allows people to fail a first driving test but still receive a license and drive unsupervised.

The government had made Tuesday a deadline for police to begin citing some 150,000 people for driving alone despite failing the test, but pushed the deadline back to mid-2008 after test-flunkers complained they would lose their jobs if barred from the roads.

One in six Irish drivers has never passed an on-the-road test, according to Transport Department statistics.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Can't see anything wrong with that, the judge applied a bit of common sense, we need more like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Jip wrote: »
    Can't see anything wrong with that, the judge applied a bit of common sense, we need more like him.

You don't see anything wrong with driving at 180kph down a country road in Donegal?

Oh wait sorry, he was only doing 112mph, sure thats grand, carry on...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

cornbb wrote: »
    down a country road in Donegal?

There's no mention of a country road in Donegal, in fact, they mention the road's quality as a factor in determining the sentence. And most roads I've driven in Donegal are superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

the only place it is ok to drive at that speed ,whether in mph or kph, is a race track with a specially tuned car.1 stone /bump him and innocent others are dead.Grow up people!!!!!!!!!!!!

ned78 wrote: »
    There's no mention of a country road in Donegal, in fact, they mention the road's quality as a factor in determining the sentence. And most roads I've driven in Donegal are superb.

Do you seriously think any road in Ireland, let alone a road in a rural part of Ireland, is designed to safely accommodate traffic travelling at anywhere near 180kph?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You don't see anything wrong with driving at 180kph down a country road in Donegal?

Oh wait sorry, he was only doing 112mph, sure thats grand, carry on...

:rolleyes:

It was far from a country road. It was the Ballyshannon/Bundoran bypass, which, if I understand correctly is a dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

bcmf wrote: »
    the only place it is ok to drive at that speed ,whether in mph or kph, is a race track with a specially tuned car.1 stone /bump him and innocent others are dead.Grow up people!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong again. Speed limits are not applied with any sense. If that road is good enough, 112 mph could be plenty safe, except for the go-slow brigade driving in the middle of the road at 90 kph, policing the rest of us as usual!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

You've obviously not driven on that many roads in Donegal then! However, I think this plonker was driving on one of the good ones: they tend not to be as busy as the roads in the eastern half of the country hence the tendency to speed. But in my experience, there seems to be very little regard for speeding laws in Donegal: the proportion of boy racers to "normal drivers" is way higher than the rest of the country.
    This judgement doesn't do much to sway my opinion.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Agreed. Whilst that speed is dangerous, ie if he lost control/burst a tyre, who knows where he couldve ended up, the judge's common sense was right. However, I think his comment on "its not bad when convereted to miles" is moronic. I robbed a bank in Hungary, and I stole 25million forints judge, but in fairness, its only €100,000.. :rolleyes:

Driving 180Kph on the M1 is a common occurence, yet very few fatalities happen. Perfect flat straight road, good visibility, and generally can be very quiet. And no, I dont drive that speed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

maoleary wrote: »
    Wrong again. Speed limits are not applied with any sense. If that road is good enough, 112 mph could be plenty safe, except for the go-slow brigade driving in the middle of the road at 90 kph, policing the rest of us as usual!!! :mad:

No road is good enough for travelling at 112mph. That's nearly twice the speed limit.
    I'll be the first to admit, i do suffer from that condition known as heavy foot, but not to that extent. All it takes is for this judges attitude to percolate down to the newest driver and you have even more carnage on the roads.

• Advertisement

Do you seriously think any road in Ireland, let alone a road in a rural part of Ireland, is designed to safely accommodate traffic travelling at anywhere near 180kph?

And again, there's no mention of traffic. If it's a single car, on a wide open dual carriageway, than I can't see how it's more dangerous than driving on an Italian motorway. It is however, still illegal.
    You've obviously not driven on that many roads in Donegal then!

I worked for a company in Derry, and had to go up through Donegal from Cork twice a month, and down twice a month. I got to see a lot of roads, most of which were baby bottom smooth, so much so in fact, that I went up there for a weekend on my bike with a few mates on their bikes, and we all loved the surfaces, and scenery. As far as motoring tourism goes, Donegal is up there with Wicklow and Kerry for me!

gatecrash wrote: »
    No road is good enough for travelling at 112mph.

M50? M11? N11? M4? to name but a few. I know a few lads in Traffic Corps and they're usually up to 100 just going from hiding place to hiding place for speedchecks and other checkpoints. It's hardly rocket science.

The accident rate on unlimited autobahns is practically zero, limits imposed with arbitrary numbers mean people lose the ability to drive according to conditions. Delighted that a judge actually had the brains and the balls to acknowedge this.

No road is good enough for travelling at 112mph.

There are plenty of roads suitable for those speeds. What there isn't though, is a lack of traffic to allow those speeds to be safe. There's no issue doing those speeds on the Autobahns in regular cars, why are they so dangerous here then? Is it that we don't have the road network? Well, yes, but on the stretches of road that we do have, traffic and poor weather usually prohibit it.

People jump to all sorts of conclusions when they hear 3 figure speeds being shouted about, 'hit one stone and youre dead'? A bit of a Maud Flanders reaction TBH. As someone who usually drives in Europe on holidays, and with work quite a bit each year, by your logic, I should be dead driving at an average 100mph on the Motorways over there.

Still not saying what the driver in the OP did was right, I don't agree one bit with what he did.

And again, there's no mention of traffic. If it's a single car, on a wide open dual carriageway, than I can't see how it's more dangerous than driving on an Italian motorway. It is however, still illegal.

There doesn't need to be traffic, by traffic I meant vehicle, as in what he was driving. A huge proportion of fatal accidents involve a single vehicle. At that speed there isn't the slightest margin of error if anything goes wrong. Driving at that speed on a public road is beyond stupid, its moronic and there's no excuse for it.
    gatecrash wrote:
    All it takes is for this judges attitude to percolate down to the newest driver and you have even more carnage on the roads.

QFT. Herein lies the problem. People in this country will blame anyone for road deaths: the government, the RSA, the gardai, the state of the roads. The problem lies with the attitudes of drivers on the road who think its perfectly fine to do things like drive at 112mph.

And who cares if speed limits are arbitrary? Was the judge suitably qualified to tell whether the road was designed/maintained to safely carry a car at that speed given the conditions?

So you're stating that the state of the roads, the lack of adequate signage and intelligent speed limits, have nothing to do with driver behaviour and deaths on the road.

My God, I didn't realise. :rolleyes:

M50? M11? N11? M4? to name but a few. I know a few lads in Traffic Corps and they're usually up to 100 just going from hiding place to hiding place for speedchecks and other checkpoints. It's hardly rocket science.

The accident rate on unlimited autobahns is practically zero, limits imposed with arbitrary numbers mean people lose the ability to drive according to conditions. Delighted that a judge actually had the brains and the balls to acknowedge this.

the M50?? Would that be before or after the roadworks?

lads in the traffic corps are trained to drive at higher than normal speeds and they still crash.

This lad should've been taken off the roads at the very least. If he had lost control (and don't even try to tell me he was flly in control at that speed) and his car was spread all over 400 metres of road way and someone came along and took a pic of a busted speedo reading 112mph everyone would come to the correct conclusion that this lunatic was driving way to fast, and people would be on here giving out about it.

And then there are other people here who think that this speed is a good thing? maybe good for people on waiting lists for organs, that's about it. If ther'd be anything worth keeping that is.

It just shows a disregard for other road users, even contemplating that sort of speed

I've drivin at 100 mph + here, and on the german autobahns with other drivers who didn't do the same advanced courses I did. Let me restate: practically zero deaths when you let people decide the safe speed for themselves. Are you seriously telling me that a Granny driving at 100 kph is less dangerous than a well-trained driver driving at 160+kph? Each to his/her own ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

QFT. Herein lies the problem. People in this country will blame anyone for road deaths: the government, the RSA, the gardai, the state of the roads. The problem lies with the attitudes of drivers on the road who think its perfectly fine to do things like drive at 112mph.

And who cares if speed limits are arbitrary? Was the judge suitably qualified to tell whether the road was designed/maintained to safely carry a car at that speed given the conditions?

If it is not perfectly safe to drive on a straight road with no traffic with all other factors in your favour such as weather etc, then why on earth would cars be made to travel at those speeds? Surely if it was unsafe these cars capable of travelling at 112 mph would never make it off their production lines?

So you're stating that the state of the roads, the lack of adequate signage and intelligent speed limits, have nothing to do with driver behaviour and deaths on the road.

My God, I didn't realise. :rolleyes:
    I've drivin at 100 mph + here, and on the german autobahns with other drivers who didn't do the same advanced courses I did. Let me restate: practically zero deaths when you let people decide the safe speed for themselves. Are you seriously telling me that a Granny driving at 100 kph is less dangerous than a well-trained driver driving at 160+kph? Each to his/her own ability.

So you would like to get rid of our non-intelligent speed limits completely and let people decide for themselves?

These things are all factors in road deaths but they have nowhere near as huge an effect as driver stupidity.

So you would like to get rid of our non-intelligent speed limits completely and let people decide for themselves?

These things are all factors in road deaths but they have nowhere near as huge an effect as driver stupidity.

Sigh,

Then train them, remove the limits except for towns/cities/danger zones which you can use well-signed speed cameras for, sit back and watch the death tolls drop. It works in Germany, all we are missing in real terms is the driver education.

Driver behaviour is appalling, but part of the reason is the fact that drivers are not involved any more in driving than they are in watching feckin telly. Of course they can't decide for themselves, they just sit like sheep and do what they're told, safe or not. The death tolls are the result. How more obvious could it possibly be????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Are you seriously telling me that a Granny driving at 100 kph is less dangerous than a well-trained driver driving at 160+kph?

What's Grannies driving at 100kmph got to do with this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Surely 112mph is excessive! No matter what the condition of the roads were!

deman wrote: »
    What's Grannies driving at 100kmph got to do with this thread?

Comparison, legal with illegal, is the supposedly illegal actually more dangerous than the legal action with regard to the less skilled and more unaware?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Sigh,

Then train them, remove the limits except for towns/cities/danger zones which you can use well-signed speed cameras for, sit back and watch the death tolls drop. It works in Germany, all we are missing in real terms is the driver education.

Are you crazy?

And if it's been so successful in Germany then why are they changing it?

At that speed there isn't the slightest margin of error if anything goes wrong.

Yes there is. I was at Ablinton Airfield in Oxford on Wednesday driving the new MINI Clubman at speeds well over 100mph, and we were deliberately making the car slide and squirm as part of a driver training excercise. With new technologies like DSC, and with correct driver input, you can quite easily recover from simple mistakes at those speeds within a small area of the track.

Who said anything about this lunatic being well trained?? Is it the "Oh, he's an I.T. Worker, therefore spends his free time playing ridge racer on his PS2, that's training enough for him" crowd?? (P.S. i'm being deliberately facetious here!!)

And as for the Granny analogy, by your logic, deciding that he's well trained and experienced in this driving style, I can pick and choose which Granny to use as my reference point. Think I'll take my 58 year old mother then.

Are you crazy?

In response to complaints from the nanny brigade. It will be shot out of the Reichstag anyway, it's been debated before and been defeated.

Are you crazy?

They're not. It's up for debate at the moment, no decision has been made. The fatality record on the Autobahns are actually quite low indeed, and he's correct in his stats. The only reason they're changing it, is to be politically correct and to be seen to be contributing to 'safety'. It's been up for debate in German time and time again, and each time it's been shot down. I hope it's shot down this time too. Germany is a pleasure to drive in.

Think I'll take my 58 year old mother then.

Sure why not, the rest of us have! ;)

• Advertisement

Are you crazy?

Who said anything about this lunatic being well trained?? Is it the "Oh, he's an I.T. Worker, therefore spends his free time playing ridge racer on his PS2, that's training enough for him" crowd?? (P.S. i'm being deliberately facetious here!!)

And as for the Granny analogy, by your logic, deciding that he's well trained and experienced in this driving style, I can pick and choose which Granny to use as my reference point. Think I'll take my 58 year old mother then.

I was referring to the gaping stupidity that is our driver training system. A granny (90 years of age) whose doctor with lax morals gave her a cert of competency despite her senility and bad eyesight etc, may still drive legally here!!

I don't know about you, but I find it somewhat depressing and yet humorous.

Advertisement